• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony 32" LED TV KDL32EX523

danIOW

Standard Member
Hi, Im really interested in the Sony KDL32EX523, I have been reading reviews all over the web, some say its great others say its rubbish... The main thing I really want to know is does it have built in PVR functionality (USB Record)? Some websites say it does and others say it doesn't. That is one of my main reasons for wanting it as its for the bedroom... at the moment I have an old 42" phillips LCD TV and a 3view PVR, my aim is to declutter as I don't like messy cables and boxes and I also dislike having 2 remote controls. Does anyone have one? I must say that Sonys own website says it doesn't have USB Record! but so many other websites and catalogues say it does... If not can anyone please recommend a decent brand mid range spec TV with USB Record? Thank you :thumbsup:

kourosh

Distinguished Member
Hi, Im really interested in the Sony KDL32EX523, I have been reading reviews all over the web, some say its great others say its rubbish... The main thing I really want to know is does it have built in PVR functionality (USB Record)? Some websites say it does and others say it doesn't. That is one of my main reasons for wanting it as its for the bedroom... at the moment I have an old 42" phillips LCD TV and a 3view PVR, my aim is to declutter as I don't like messy cables and boxes and I also dislike having 2 remote controls. Does anyone have one? I must say that Sonys own website says it doesn't have USB Record! but so many other websites and catalogues say it does... If not can anyone please recommend a decent brand mid range spec TV with USB Record? Thank you :thumbsup:

The EX523 has been re-called by Sony both 32" and 40",so DONT buy one
if you want the pvr feature you will have to move up to the EX524 :smashin:

danIOW

Standard Member
Thank you for the reply :) the model I was looking at was KDL32EX523B any idea why there is a B on the end of the model number? do you know why they were recalled? many thanks

kourosh

Distinguished Member
Thank you for the reply :) the model I was looking at was KDL32EX523B any idea why there is a B on the end of the model number? do you know why they were recalled? many thanks

the b stands for black,stupid i know a its only availbale in one colour,i will try and find out why...but sony are a littl secrative with stuff so i cant promise:)

Deepus

Does anybody know what the difference is between the KDL-32EX523 and 524 models?

The man in the Sony store said the 524 has built in wi-fi, but the Sony website says that both the 523 and 524 need the "optional WI-FI dongle" to access Internet TV etc

EDIT: Just did a comparison on the Sony website and the 524 has "Presence sensor" and "USB HDD Recording". Anybody know of any other differences?

Last edited:

NX3

The Sony website is very wrong on lots of details like Freeview HD, Wifi, USB recording and even the manuals that shop are wrong. I have 26EX320, a 2011 model, it was listed as Freeview HD (it wasn't), said I needed optional Wifi adapter (I didn't, it have a Wifi N 300mbps adapter built in). I'd go with what the Sony store said about wifi or what you can find out instore rather than the website and manual.

From other postings the main difference from 523 v 524 is USB recording.

danIOW

Standard Member
Hello... Ive noticed how so many websites have different details and features for the same TV, its all confusing! I think ill go to curry's or somewhere and ask them to get the TV out and ill check for myself. I'm also interested in the Sony KDL32EX723 from what ive read it definately has USB record.

Deepus

Has anyone purchased a KDL-32EX523/4 yet? Just wanted a quick resume of what they're like, as I'm thinking of buying the KDL-32EX524 and can't find any reviews....

Deepus

So, did anyone get the 523/524 yet?

I am hoping to get a 524 within a couple of weeks.
I've had the 524 for a few weeks now and am very pleased with it thus far.

I've only got it connected to an external aerial so Freeview HD and normal Freeview is all I get. I've switched off all picture processing and the picture is very good for both HD and SD.

I'm waiting for the USB network adapter to arrive so I can see the "internet TV" aspects of the set.

My only criticism is regarding the sound. It is very "tinny" no matter what level the bass/treble is set to. From reading about sets, this seems to be the same for most 32" sets? Not that big a deal as my set is in the bedroom.

scarymonster

Standard Member
We picked up a couple of 524's today. A 32" and a 37".

Only set up the 37" so far and very pleased with it.

Using a cable for internet until I can source a couple of the over priced Sony usb wireless dongles (The chap in the shop did mention there is a cheaper alternative/version on it's way shortly).

I was a little disappointed to find it has a captive power lead though as I do like to upgrade cables where I can.

scarymonster

Standard Member
Re the sound. I think the thinner the sets get the trade off will always be the sound.

I guess you could always wire it up to your hifi amp or add a couple of extension speakers.

I will be looking at options regarding that in the not to distant future.

Deepus

Re the sound. I think the thinner the sets get the trade off will always be the sound.

I guess you could always wire it up to your hifi amp or add a couple of extension speakers.

I will be looking at options regarding that in the not to distant future.
As the TV is in a bedroom, I can live with the sound as it is.

Other than that, I am very pleased with the TV.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Totally on impulse have just bought a 37" 524. Not even arrived home with it yet. Had decided on the Samsung 6350 but HoF didn't do the 37 so hey ho not like me to go home empty handed. I have a slim wall mount, full swivel tilt jobby, to fit so it could be a day or two before I get it fired up. Decided 3D was not required. Just hope it's good for sky sports on an afternoon when the missus has the Pioneer booked.

scarymonster

Standard Member
Good luck getting it up on the wall Tom. Should not be to difficult as the sets are quite light compared with only a couple of years ago.

Very happy with my 37" 524.

Even dug out the PS1 & Sega Dreamcast from storage to play some old favorite games :)

Still only watching tv via iplayer and the picture quality is amazing.

Picked up a Sony wireless dongle for the 32" 524 downstairs and it works flawlessly connecting to my bthomehub router upstairs at the other end of the house. Got another on order for my 37" as that will be one less cable on the floor.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that. It's the Vogel superslim wallmount giving me nightmares, getting it true vertical with the wall screws to miss the electric wires. Not to mention correct height. Not good at that stuff.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Looks like I've hit a power cable in wall. Down tools and call in a spark.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Two very helpful guys came today and pulled out the wall power cable and rewired my socket and completed the bracket mounting. TV on. Reception not brilliant but okay. Network set up a doddle. Sky box ordered.
Is there a media server program to download to PC to facilitate media streaming?

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
This seems to be the closest thing to a 37" 524 Owners Thread so I shall persist. I have refrained from any comment on the tv until Sky+HD has been installed and that went in yesterday.
Must say I am very happy having turned down the colour settings, sharpness levels and turned off all noise reduction settings.
Its a great tv with no obvious banding, clouding, creasing under normal viewing conditions. I have not tried any test patterns, if I cant see a defect under normal conditions I do not want to know.

scarymonster

Standard Member
I notice John Lewis online have dropped the price of the KDL37EX524 to £589.95

Great price considering thats also including a 5 year guarantee.

I have not rechecked the Sony Centre prices but I guess they would probably price match if asked.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
I think that was the ticket price at House of Fraser last week when I bought it.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom