1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 30GB HDD Player (NW-HD5H) Coming to the US? New Sony's coming?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by prateeko, Aug 19, 2005.

1. prateeko

prateeko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've looked all over the net, and I'm puzzled about this. I just picked up a NW-HD5, and its working out pretty well for me (SonicStage has actually be pleasent to use, its 3.1, so maybe they kicked it up a notch, I wil continue to use iTunes though). Anyhow, I noticed that a 'special edition' NW-HD5 was released in Japan (and it appears, Europe) for a little more with a larger harddrive. I have tried to figure out if this happened in the US at all, but have been unable to do so. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it happened, is going to happen, or if it has no chance of happening. I like the mp3 player, but if a larger one comes out for slightly more I'll return it and pick it up. Additionally, I was curious as to the timeframe upon which Sony releases its HDD mp3 players. I imagine the next unit (the NW-HD7 I assume, by their odd number scheme) is coming fairly soon, and I may wait for it, but if its a long ways off than I'd rather just stick with my NW-HD5.
    Thanks in advance!
    -prateeko

2. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also waiting for a player with a bigger hard-drive to replace my HD1, but don't believe the HD5H will be launched anymore in the US. Considering they already announced the new flash memory players, I suppose newer HD players will appear until the end of the year. Probably with the new perpendicular drives. That means we'll be able to have a 40gig player as small as the HD5.

3. prateeko

prateeko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, I forgot about perpendicular drives. Its a shame Best Buy doesn't sell the HD5, b/c I would buy it from there with the replacement plan (a.k.a. trade in option whenever you want) and upgrade to the newer units. Any idea when (month range) the new units oculd come? If its not too far I'll stay with my iPod for now, but if it isn't for a while I'll keep this HD5 I just picked up...

4. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well:

NW-HD1 August 2004
    NW-HD3 December 2004
    NW-HD5 June 2005

I'd hazard a guess the HD7 will be with us around November.

5. prateeko

prateeko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, tough decision then. I may stick it out and keep my iPod for 3 more months than (its not that long and the thing gets me by just fine). I imagine the HD7 will come with a bigger HD and (hopefully) a nicer screen...Although I do enjoy the sound quality of the HD5 a lot....

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    I think the next HDx will have a clearer screen...

whether it will be a colour one is another thing. Seeing as Sony are pushing the PSP mulitmedia capabilities....

which then makes a case for a lack of photo or video support for next Sony HD DAP

I really do have a feeling they will abandon buttons entirely....forget the HD1/2/3/5 designs....

I think they will do a touch or scroll thing. It'd prob be better than holding down a button

7. prateeko

prateeko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mind touch as long as there is some tactile feedback. I tried out the Toshiba Gigabeat series, and even though the units were decently solid, it wasn't that easy to get around the player as it is the HD5. I don't mind buttons, but when scrolling through songs (like in a playlist), why not make it so you can hit right and skip an entire page? Why just go down with the up and down buttons?

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    well the holiday season would make sense, profit wise

9. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Probably because that would conflict with how the Right button works in the other lists. It wouldn't make much sense that pressing right in Genre shows artists, pressing right in Artists shows albums, pressing right in Albums shows tracks, but suddenly pressing right in Tracks skips a page. Having said that, I agree that a page up/page down key of some sort would be useful. A few of us have suggested that holding down the Right button in the Tracks list would be a good way to do on-the-go playlisting, but it's too bad Sony didn't think of that.

And on the subject of tactile feedback, I really wish there was a raised dot on the Play/Pause button like the one on the VOL+ button. I find it really hard to differentiate the centre button from the four direction ones without looking at the player. Maybe one day I'll try sticking a blob of epoxy resin on it if I'm feeling brave :)

Andrew