Sony 30" LCD

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by loonatic, Aug 4, 2003.

1. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm just about to buy one of these beauties for the bedroom...I know I could get cheaper or a plasma but it's just too damn sexy and the thought of it hanging on my wall is just too much...and was just wondering two things.

1st...Does anyone else here have one or have any views on it ?

2nd...Does anyone know if they plan to make a slightly larger version...say 35" or 37" anytime soon ?

Cheers, Lee

2. mcego

mcego

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All in all a very good LCD TV. Only bad point in my opinion is the tuner box although it does house 6 A/V inputs, a PC input and a memory stick input. No plans to release a 35" or 37" but there is a 42MR1 although this is plasma.

3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I would have bought one myself if it didn't have all that un-nessisary glass + side mounted speakers, and it was a little bit bigger.

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It's a close call between the LCD and the 32" plasma but as I want to wall mount I'm not too sure how well suited the plasma is.

Also I like the fact that the LCD is of a higher resolution and I'm not too sure about the plasma being of the ALIS variety.

But the 32" plasma is actually about 34" visible which is nice.

I'm off to the Sony center again tommorow to make up my mind and then buy elsewhere unless they have started selling stuff at reasonable prices.

Did you actaully audition the LCD against the plasma ? if so what were your thoughts ?

Cheers, Lee

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Your right, the Sony 32TS2 Plasma isn't suited to mount on the wall - you'd have to get the commercial/professional version not the consumer one if you wanted to do that, and it won't have scart sockets etc (if you care).

I've played with the 30MR1 in John lewis and the Sony center. The picture on the 30MR1 LCD looks great to me, very clean, free of artifacts, nice and bright, seemingly full of detail - and that was with a freeview box connected! I can only imagine it must be stunning with a progressive scan dvd player. I havn't seen it in a dark room to be able to see how good it is with shades of black (dark grey to black), if I were you i'd get a demo and make sure the blacks are too your liking - it's no good if you can't see anything in dark scenes.

6. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I would have thought the Plasma would produce a much better picture than the LCD and they certainly boast superior viewing at acute angles important in a bedroom.

But my main point when looking at just about every LCD TV I have seen is.... Artifacts

Not impressed with the picture to be honest not for that sort of money. But I havent seen the Sony 32" Plasma so couldnt say for sure. I have certainly never seen an LCD TV that could match the contrast ratio / picture quality of a decent plasma.

Now thats fine if youa re looking for a cheap 15" / 17" solution for the kitchen but the 302" jobs are pretty exensive.

8. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking into the Sony 30 LCD as well. Stunning bit of AV kit. John Archer reviews it in last months HCC and rated it highly espec high def feeds. Tuner is multi region which suits me.
    Cheapest I've seen it for is £2,980 which John Lewis should price match.

9. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I've ordered mine and should have it early next week :D

I went and viewed it again and watched several DVD's from a Sony prog-scan player and it was simply brilliant.

The intro to LOTR, you now the dark fight scene, was very detailed and showed, IMO, a good black level. Then the scene when they enter the village, very colour and bright was so vivid and clear.

Also watched some of Tomb Raider which also looked great.

TV via a freeview box, not sure of make, was also very clear and free from most artifacts and I saw no colour banding which I hate.

It really did benefit from a prog-scan source though so a new DVD is also on the cards along with a new amp and then I shall think about some new speakers also.

It must be, along with it's larger Plasma brother, the most beautiful looking TV.

Also on the plus side is that it IS silent...no fans or PSU buzzing which is great as my Pio 433HDE buzzed like made and drove me crazy.

That's a great price muzz10...my situation is a little more complicated in that I am returning my Pio 433HDE and getting the Sony as a replacement...long story :boring: so can't haggle that much on price but am more than happy with the service I've received as the Pio is nearly 9months old now.

So roll on next week :clap:

Cheers, Lee

10. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    you want to take a look at the new samsung lcds 32 and 40 inch version not as nice style as the sony but they blow the sony out of the game and they have a 16 ms response time so no trails left behind .i think the sony uses the same glass as the lg 30inch lcd and that is very stylish ,and i think samsung give them the glass i may be wrong ,.my only complaint about sony is there just over priced

11. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The Sony does come with an excellent scaler box and produces a much better picture than any LCD i've seen before (including the LG) - I think this may be due to the Sony scaler box, scalers are very expensive on their own...

£2,980 is a rediculus price - it used to be £4,100 in John Lewis!

Loonatic - did you see it demonstrated with a progressive scan dvd player that was connected with component (not scart)? If it wasn't wired correctly you wouldn't have been seeing the progressive scan picture... the reason I ask is that most Sony centers don' t know how to wire anything other than a scart cable.

12. Gregorski

Gregorski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd disagree with that, having seen both screens in the Sony Centre here. The LCD had around 170 degrees viewing angle in both planes and the plasma was significantly poorer in that respect.

13. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    cybersoga,

Yep...the dvd player was connected via componont leads, though they were just your bog standard set. It was a Sony player and the guy could switch between interlaced and progressive via a switch on the back and the display on the LCD reflected this by either indicating 576i or 576p.

I must say that I have visited 3 Sony centers lately and the Staines branch have been by far the best. Most helpfull and knowledable...not just bleating out sales junk.

The progessive image was much cleaner and sharper as expected but it also made faces/skin tones look more natural...not that an interlaced source looked bad.

As I said this was a Sony player but I am planning to get myself a Denon 2900 DVD & Denon 3803.

Gregorski - allthough viewing angle is not an issue for me due to how it will be set up I agree that the LCD is as good in this respect as the plasma.

andya - well it's too late now mate anyway...but I just love the look of the Sony and it performed well IMO compared to all the other plasma/LCD's I viewed. Besides you can allways wait for something better.

Cheers, Lee

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Just before you part with your hartd earned take a good look at the Sharp 30" and 37" LCD screens they blow every body else out the water!! (not side by sided with a Sony)

15. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have thought about the Sharp 30" but I just love the style of the Sony so it would have to be significantly better for me to swap.

Also, do they not use the same media box as the Pioneer HDE plasma's ? and if so do they support PAL progressive ?

Cheers, Lee