1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 28LS35U extended tube guarantee

Discussion in 'TVs' started by pavement, Feb 25, 2002.

1. pavement

pavement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently received a sony 28LS35U as a replacement after two JVC AV28S2's and I noticed that I can get the tube guarantee extended for 3yrs for £36 direct from Sony. I usually stay well clear of the usual Currys/Comet extended guarantees but in this case the price isn't too bad. So the question is, if my tube lasts a year will it last forever like my old Sony or should I take up the offer as widescreen tubes get a bit flakey after a while ?

Just in case anyones interested the TV's excellent if you're getting the sound from elsewhere. A bit of fiddling with the geometry in the service menu and it's as good as I've seen on a 50hz and I've got no horrible blodges/stains on the screen.

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi Pavement

£36 does seem good value, but then again it might be worth checking the small print. If the tube does fail, how much and who will fit the new tube?

The fact it is only £36 suggests their is little risk of it failing and that you would have to pay quite a substantial amount for fitting.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, but see what others say.

I posted this in another thread, and wondered if you could help:

"Aquired the remote control (RM932) supplied with the LS35. This is for use with my FX65, SLVE810 & DAV 500.

Not having the original user manual for LS35, wondered if owners could post details of the vcr & dvd functions available on this remote. I gather it is programmble, and so I was specifically wondering if the vol keys could be configured to alter the vol on the DAV 500, rather than the tv.

Perhaps there are alternative Sony codes - what are these, how are they programmed?

I can see how to perform obvious functions: 'play', 'stop', 'rew', etc. Is there any less obvious functions described for dvd + vcr remote operation in the manual?"

Thanks

3. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Out of interest, what was wrong with the JVC's. As far as I'm aware the S2 is based on the WFT1, albeit in smarter clothing. I@ve seen a lot of TVs and in my opinion the WFT1 has the best 50Hz picture I have seen. How does the Sony compare with the JVC?

As for your tube warranty. Why not get the TV warrantied for 5 years from Domestic and General. It only costs £99 and covers you for parts and labour!

4. pavement

pavement

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SIMON1

The Sony RM932 isn't programmable as far as I can see, you can put in the codes for your VCR and DVD which gives you the functionality marked on the remote but it doesn't allow you to reprogram buttons or teach it anything. On the LS35 if you have your TV connected to the amp (a 2802 in my case) and you turn the speakers off on the set you can alter the volume. This doesn't change the volume on the amp so its probably just changing the line out levels.

SHEZ316

Yep the S2 is just a spruced up WFT1 if you go into the second level of the service menu it actually says so. Both of my S2's suffered from the shadowy/blocky pixel effect. This is difficult describe but on R1 DVDs for about three inches from either side of the screen it was speckled (think of the way B&W newsprint makes up pictures) on R2 this was a swirling pattern of pixels with what appeared to be a border around them. You really need a good source to see this as it is not easy to pick up on standard broadcast TV but once I noticed it I couldn't stop looking at it. Even my dad who is not particularly picky noticed. The middle of the screen gave a very good picture once you'd fiddled with it a bit and the geometry was good. Add to this that while I was waiting for the replacement for the first S2 the TV expired completely and refused to power on. I currently love my LS35 it was £50 pounds cheaper and there are no obvious flaws the picture is as good as the good part of the S2 and now I've sorted the geometry (only minor changes) I couldn't be happier. The sound is pretty poor but as I don't use it that way too often its not an issue. Hope this helps.

Mark

5. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Pavement

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the 28LS35 and from where?

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    http://www.krishav.co.uk/index.html

7. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wayne

I've seen this site before. Although the TV is very cheap there is no stand. Also the site looks a bit dodgy. I think they sell grey models. Have you ordered anything from this site?

8. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes,I have bought from them before as SDB.I think they used to be called SDB and advertise in the What Video & TV magazine,amongst others that you could try.

I bought a Denon DD decoder and a Yamaha E800 DD/DTS decoder from them over the years.They were UK spec.Check out the magazine for a phone number and ask them or e-mail them and ask to be sure.I ordered my kit by phone,as I didn't have a computer then.Still got both decoders fully working.

You could also try www.empiredirect.co.uk which I have also ordered from and www.pricerunner.co.uk.

9. shez316

shez316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Wayne!