1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 28FX65 U Settings

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Paul Hart, May 22, 2004.

1. Paul Hart

Paul Hart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve got a Sony KV-28FX65U widescreen TV. I’ve read in What Hi Fi that you should turn off artificial intelligence, digital noise reduction or any other digital picture enhancing gizmos, as they can cause smearing, digital noise and jerking.

Which would be the best settings out of the Digital Mode below, when connecting my Sony DVP-NS900 DVD Player via RGB Scart.

Normal: Basic 100Hz Picture Quality

Digital +: Improved Picture Resolution For Viewing Scrolling Characters.

Advanced: Optimum Picture Resolution Creating Flicker Free Pictures.

Best wishes,

Paul.

2. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    That's a difficult issue to address.

If you've got a 50HZ mode and you're eyes are not suceptible to flicker then use that for the most accurate representation of interlaced broadcasts.

If you wan't to follow the guidelines of what hi-fi then: Normal: Basic 100Hz Picture Quality, would seem the most logical. Not sure how much picture processing is done in this mode but even if non is done you may get unwanted motion effects due to the nature of 100Hz technology.

Although what hi-fi suggest turning artificial inteligence off, I think you've got to be selective. With 100Hz they'll always be a compromise until people start broadcasting in 100Hz. The problem arises when trying to create 100 interlaced fields from only 50 original interlaced fields. Each picture frame is made from 2 interlaced fields giving you 25 broadcast frames per second. If the frames were progressive instead of interlaced then this wouldn't really be an issue as you'd just repeat every frame without adverse effects. Unfortunately we do not have progressive broadcasts.

Assuming you understand the principle of an interlaced frame (if you don't just ask it's quite simple and I'd be happy to explain) -

This is how it was explained to me on this site:
    Take 1 frame of interlaced broadcast at 50Hz. Split this into its component fields A and B. On a 50Hz set field A is shown first then field B creating one frame in one 25th of a second. Succesive frames are then shown in the same manner.

To get to 100Hz you need to show every frame twice. But if you just do this by repeating every frame twice you get an unwanted backward cycling effect: ABAB. So field A is shown then we go forward to field B but hang on then we repeat field A (we've gone backwards!) then forward again to field B.

Take an example with 3 frames (6 fields) - AB, CD, EF,
    > represents forward by one frame
    < represents backward by one frame:

50HZ broadcast, 50Hz telly:
    A>B>C>D>E>F

50Hz broadcast, 100Hz telly:
    A>B<<A>B>C>D<<C>D>E>F<<E>F

So see how we get this unwanted backwards motion, now this would be with the simplest of 100Hz modes. Why other modes are supplied on sets is to try and get rid of this problem to some extent. Software is usued to interpolate new frames from adjacent frames so that forward motion can always be displayed.

It's for this reason I went for a 50Hz Sony as I don't notice flicker too much and don't want to create unwanted artifacts in my pictures. If you watch a 100Hz telly in 50Hz it will display more flicker than the equivalent 50Hz set this is to do with the type of phosphors used on the tube.

So on a 100Hz set I would probably use the mode which gives the best picture in your opinion. I'd agree with what hi-fi's sentiments in most respects but sometimes you've got to use your own discretion afterall we don't live in a perfect world.

Hope this helps.

Simon

3. Paul Hart

Paul Hart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks cosaw,

I'll give the Advanced setting a try and see if I can notice any artifacts in the picture, If I notice anything, I'll switch to the Normal 100Hz Picture Quality.

It's not as straight forward as I thought, thanks for sharing your knowledge cosaw, I greatly appreciate it mate.

Best wishes,

Paul.

4. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    No problem.

Things are never straight forward are they! Glad I could be of help. :smashin:

Simon

5. Paul Hart

Paul Hart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Simon. :thumbsup:

Best wishes,

Paul.