1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 28DX50 freeview problems

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by influx, Oct 11, 2004.

1. influx

influx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I bought this TV yesterday, and I've been having a few problems with the iDTV freeview tuner - BBC channels are fine, but ITV, C4, C5 and ITV2, amongst others, seem to have problems, with the picture breaking up and the sound popping. But, my el-cheapo Ferguson freeview box that I've been using up til now still works without issue. The Ferguson box reports a signal strength of 9 (out of 10) on all channels, yet the Sony TV shows the reception flickering between 'good' and 'low' on these channels. So, I think it's pretty clear that my aerial setup is fine. I gave Sony a call, and they told me that it can't be a problem with the TVs freeview tuner, as that would lead to problems with all channels. This seems reasonable enough, but doesn't really help. Does anybody have any ideas of what I could do?

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sounds like aerial - try a decent booster for now - also put the TV before any VCRs or other boxes

3. fozzy73

fozzy73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: hi there with IDTVs you will find that picture break up is signal related guaranteed. Digital tv works ina completely different manner to the old analogue as all the channels are split into multiplexes. now the channels you say are poor all come from one multiplex. this can be seen at http://www.dtg.org.uk/consumer/coverage.html throw ur postcode in and on the left hand side there is a link to show you the multiplexes. this should shed some light on to your problem. also if you lose a bunch of digital channels check that link and then on the bbc website there is a transmittor works link which shows you if a digital transmittor is being worked on hope this helps ;) :D

4. influx

influx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that there should be no way for me to receive a poor signal on some channles but not on others, but that is exactly whats happening. I'm in central London, with a good aerial setup. My old Ferguson freeview box works absolutely fine, and reports an excellent signal strength. So does the Sony DX50, when I'm on BBC channels; but when I'm on ITV, C4 or C5, the reception drops out in digital, with a badly degraded MPEG stream. Analogue reception is also clear as a bell. I'm going to try a signal booster, but I can't for the life of me think why I'd need one.

5. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    "flickering between 'good' and 'low' on these channels."
    This is your answer, if it is reporting signal low then that is not good enough.
    Aerial direct into the TV then loop through your other eqipment.
    Nigel

6. influx

influx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The aerial is routed directly into my TV. I just bought a signal booster, which unsurprisingly made no difference whatsoever. This must surely be a problem with the TV - if a separate freeview box, and the BBC channels on my TV report 'high' or 9/10 for signal quality, I can see no reason why non-BBC channels should have such a poor signal. It shouldn't even be possible for some channels to have poorer reception than others, should it? Not to mention that my separate Freeview box reports 9/10 signal quality on every single channel.

7. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    The more modern TVs do need a better signal than other products, it can even be problematic if the signal is too strong!!
    Nigel

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    ITV are screwing with Mux 2 at the moment so not surprised!

9. bockster

bockster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you tried manual tuning? as you go through manual tuning you may find several itv's, ch4's etc on different multiplexes, try the different ones. its not uncommon for me to keep retuning itv2 from one to another to maintain a good pic on my 32dx50

10. influx

influx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just had a look at manual tuning, and unfortunately I don't see any TV channels appearing on more than one 'channel' (is 'channel' equivalent to multiplex/mux?). All the channels I can't receive properly are on 22, but again, my external freeview box (which is tuned into 22 also) still says 'high' signal strength, and 9/10 signal quality, whereas the TV breaks up horribly.

11. mildred

mildred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Freeview receivers vary a lot on the ability to receive weak signals.

I live more than 50 miles from SandyHeath transmitter, and get all the freeview channels most of the time with both my Humax and Goodmans STB's.

I have tried some other models of STB, but found the pictures either break up badly or have completely non-existant reception on the weaker MUXES.

The old OnDigital/ITVDigital boxes were hopeless for reception.

Some sets signal meters measure a mix of analogue and digital strength, and are not an accurate guide.

The best receivers measure the BER (Bit error rate) and usually have a Signal Quality meter which measures the BER.

Because Freeview is a digital signal, it is NOT the strength of signal that matters.

With digital TV it is more important to have low data errors in the signal, as any errors will cause the picture or sound to break up.

12. dipstickone

dipstickone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got so fed up with the lack of support from sony and their resellers that i went and bought a standalone freeview receiver - perfect picture and performance unlike the builtin one. i had a pace one before i bought the sony and that was fine too.

the sony reseller had told me it was the aerial - i upgraded the aerial - no change. i always showed 80%is signal before and after the aerial upgrade

i think it is just a very poor digital receiver in the sony.