Sony -28DX200: Problem with "flickering"

K

kevinm

I recently bought a Sony KD-28DX200 TV. I have noticed that sometimes certain dark clours "flicker", usually darkish greys, greens & blues. It looks a bit like someone is nudging the contrast up & down slightly. I have managed to minimise this by fidling with the brightness & contrast controls.

This is the first 100Hz TV I have owned and was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem or whether there is something wrong with the TV.

Any comments or assistance would be much appriciated.

Hi Kevin,
I have the 32DX200. If I set the DRC to 50 I notice some flickering. On DRC100 it rock solid. The flickering is specially noticeable switching from DRC100 to DRC50.

What have you got yours set to?

Mel.

Mel,

I have the TV set to DRC100. I assume that the 50 in DRC50 refers to 50Hz, hence the flickering that occurs when you switch modes.

It sounds like I may have a problem then. *sigh*

Kevin.

Kevin,

This is the official definition of DRC50/100 :-

DRC-MF50
To ensure maximum image detail, DRC50 doubles the amount of both horizontal pixels and vertical lines, giving a resolution 4 TIMES GREATER than a normal broadcast signal. This is ideal for viewing programmes that feature fast moving action (for example football or tennis), and also pre-recorded movies on digital media, such as DVDs and digital videos.

DRC-MF100
DRC100 increases the picture refresh rate from 50Hz to 100Hz and doubles the number of horizontal pixels, resulting in a flicker-free picture which is easier on the eyes and contains TWICE THE RESOLUTION.

Coming back to your problem, have you tried switching off AI? Supposed to adjust the contrast automatically (as far as I can remember) depending on the scene.

Mel.

Mel,

Switching of the AI was the first thing I thought of, but it made no difference to the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Kevin

Normally the only instance is through a poor quality signal, or composite connections of a DVD. If the signal is fine and this is happening on TV channels too, I'd say there's a fault with the set. In any case, since there's no setting to fix it, it's not something you should put up with.

And the DRC modes ignoring the usual lingo are just a 100 to 50 Hz switch, to allow the TV to handle sport better. If you're not watching sport there's no reason to use the other modes. Not sure anyone uses the non-DRC 100Hz mode either.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom