1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 28" LS60 question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Greamec, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I am watching sky on my Sony LS60 all is fine, but when I watch DVD with my XBOX or Divx films via my PC I get this small problem, normally worst when the credits for a film are on I notice a faint white light /Edge down the sides of the picture, Its like the picture is not quite filling the screen. Does anyone know what is causing this and is there a cure.
    Many thanks Greame:smoke:

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what the problem is and how you can fix it.

But first - does it happen only on NTSC or on both NTSC and PAL?

3. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds promising Squirrel God, My signal sent from my pc is done using TVTool and that is set to NTSC, and my xbox is pal. Just to add sometimes the edge is white and sometimes just a lighter than the colour that it should be about 3 mm thick and seems to be more down one side.

Thanks Greame:smoke:

4. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to say, how come the sky is perfect?
    Cheers

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, feeling brave? :D

You need to go into the service menu.

Best way is as follows:

Make sure your TV is receiving an NTSC feed. Then, on the remote..

1. Press the VCR/TV/DVD button until the TV LED lights.
    2. Press the yellow teletext button down until the TV LED light flashes fast (about 3-5 secs)
    3. Press 99999 on the remote. All 3 of the VCR/TV/DVD lights should light up then go out.

Your remote is now ready for service mode :D

Press the Video Standby Button on the remote once and you'll see a T displayed on screen. Press it again and you'll see "TT __" and the service menu 'status screen'.

Press MENU on the remote, then highlight the "Geometry" menu setting and press the right arrow on the remote to enter the Geometry menu. BE CAREFUL THAT YOU ONLY PRESS THE RIGHT ARROW ONCE or you may change some of the settings inadvertently.

Now make a careful note of ALL the settings in the Geometry menu that you seen listed (you will need to scroll through them as they don't all fit on one screen). This is so you can put everything back if you mess something up.

Now, if the problem is equal on both sides, then you need to change the following:

H SIZE
    V SIZE

increase them both by +1 (just do it by +1 at first and you have to do both to keep the correct aspect ratio for the image)

If the problem is NOT equal on both sides, then adjust H POSITION until the problem is equal on both sides, then adjust H SIZE and V SIZE.

Now exit the service menu by hitting:

MENU (so you get back to the Service Menu status screen)
    VCR Standby

Check the image on the screen - does it look okay now? If yes, set your remote back to 'regular' by doing the same procedure as before but this time, instead of entering 99999, enter 00000

If it doesn't look okay, go back into the service menu and increase both by +1 again.

If you don't feel brave, call an engineer out and ask him to do it. Either way, let me know how you get on please :smashin:

Re the Sky thing - Sky is PAL so different resolution to NTSC, hence why PAL is not affected ;)

6. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that , I will have to see how brave I feel why do you think the DVD s on the Xbox are not right as it is pal like the sky. And does it have to be an NTSC feed or do I just have to have the picture that I am not happy with on the screen when I go into service menu.

Regards Greame

7. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know how much it is to get an engineer to fix this for me.
    Cheers

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know mate, sorry. I haven't got an Xbox but maybe the feed is slightly different :confused:

No it doesn't have to be an NTSC feed. You can use whatever picture you're not happy with.

However, make sure you write down all the settings that are displayed when you have a PAL feed too as a few of them are different.

Also, some of the PAL and NTSC settings are linked. So:

- if you change a PAL setting, make sure you send an NTSC feed to the TV afterwards and check that the NTSC settings have not changed from what you previously set them too (and vice versa).

- make sure that whatever the PAL settings are, they are increased by +1 from whatever their previous settings were, whenever you change the NTSC settings (otherwise your PAL aspect ratio may be slightly out).

I think it's best to set PAL first, and then to set NTSC.

If your TV is still in warranty, it should cost you nothing. Tell your retailer that there is a slight geometry problem with the TV and ask them to send an engineer to correct the problem.

EDIT - Forgot to say, if you find yourself increasing V SIZE & H SIZE too much (more than +2, say), then I would personally reject the set as faulty (if it's new) as you will have too much overscan by doing this and it's possibly an indication that the set has a more serious geometry problem in general.

9. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your time and help Squirrel God:laugh: :D
    regards Greame

10. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could I use RGB centering to sort out this problem? and if I can why is it grayed out?
    Greame:confused:

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No you can't. It shifts the picture, but the 'lighter' edges will still be there. You can use it afterwards, however, to compensate for any horizontal shifts you've performend in the service menu.

If it's greyed out, then you're not sending RGB to the TV. Make sure you're using AV1 or AV2 and RGB is enabled on your source.

12. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Squirrel God

I got brave in the end the temtation was to much, would I be right in saying that the setting you change are just for that particular imput so you have to do each separetly. All I ended up doing was to adjust the H position a couple of notches as the problem was just down one side. And first impression are that its great so thanks again.
    What do all the othe goe things do , is there a website that will help me understand my tv menus or is there a book?
    Regards Greame

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that's right. But note what I said about PAL and NTSC 'linkages' in one of my previous posts. (It's the same for all AV inputs though, just in case you meant that instead.)

Cool. Was a very minor problem then. Double check it on a completely black screen (pause a DVD during a 'fade to black' moment) with the lights off (and wait till it gets dark outside) :smashin:

There is a Sony service manual for the LS60, which explains some of it. You can also use http://home.freeuk.net/kv32tweak/main.html

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greamec,

I sent you a PM the other day but you haven't read it yet. I think you should as you might be very interested in the contents ;)

15. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: Cheers!!! Squirrel God, nice touch.
    regards Greame

16. Greamec

Greamec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have been tweaking my TV for a couple of weeks now and any problems I have have nearly all gone ( thanks squirrel god ). Just a couple more questions for.
    1. in the service menu is there a geomatary seting that does the same thing as picture rotation?
    2. I know this sounds silly, but how do you know when your picture is 100% centered?
    Regards Greamec
    :smoke:

17. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Not a single control as far as I know. But it's in the regular user menu so why would you need it in the service menu too?

2. You use a test signal, such as found on a calibration disk (like DVD Ultimate Platinum, Avia or the THX Optimode tests you get on THX disks like Toy Story, T2, Star Wars The Phantom Menace, Cast Away and so on)