Sony 2400ES drops media center resolution from 1080p to 720p

rochecompaan

Standard Member
I am really happy with this receiver except for one problem. If I connect my XBMC-based media centre directly to my Sony Bravia TV via HDMI, it reports that it is receiving a 1080p feed. But if I connect the media centre to the receiver via HDMI and then hookup the receiver with the TV, the TV reports that it is only getting a 720p feed. As a result the display is distorted and interlaced.

I have tried to set the Video output on the receiver to "Direct" and "1080p" but that doesn't help. Why would the receiver drop the resolution like this? Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Please check the following:
1) that your TV is a Full HD (1080p) TV, and not an HD Ready TV (i.e. 720p). The receiver will believe the screen's reality, regardless of the TV's ability to scale down.
2) that you are using certified category 2 HDMI cabling (aka "high speed" or "1080p") throughout. HDMI cabling that is not explicitly marked as being certified category 2 is category 1, and is only specified to carry 1080i or 720p.

Last edited:

seanos

I have the same problem with the DH800.

I believe the problem lies with the Sony AMPs not adding 1080p to it's "Detailed Timings" list.
To confirm, in your xorg.conf add
Option "ModeDebug" "0"
to the Monitor section -- you should see when X interrogates Amp for EDID, that amp reports back the preferred resolutions, and 1080p doesn't exist here.

http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8774/README/appendix-j.html
"The NVIDIA-Auto-Select Mode" for more info.

seanos

Sorry to reply to myself, just spent few mins messing with xorg.conf again, and have solution.

Add following to Monitor Section:
ModeLine "Hackish" 148.50 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync

Add the following to Screen Section:
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
SubSection "Display"
Modes "Hackish"
EndSubSection

That should be it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom