Quantcast

Sony 2018 OLED and LED TV Line-up Announced

Bastille

Rather disappointing on the FALD front.

Where is the XF93?

The new XF90 has been given a silly stand.

Ah well, there’s always next year.

TastySanchez

Standard Member
Given these also use the X1 Extreme Processors as 2017 does that mean the 2017 XE93 and XE94 will also support Dolby Atmos?

I've always been a bit confused with Dolby Atmos Support on these models.

askara

Novice Member

Where is the XF93?

Yeahs its ugly as a sin and will sure put off may potential buyer. Why in the right mind designed that?

Steve Withers

Reviewer
We'll be getting a look at the Sony stand tomorrow and there's a special demo later in the week that is embargoed, so I expect there are more models to come. We'll get a look at their full UK line-up in early February.

Slugsy01

Still that awful android system then? Will it be any quicker?

dr no

Is Sony (and LG and others) using same OLED-panels as last year models ?
At the moment, to me, it's looking like LG has been using and distributing the same panel from 2016 and onwards
I hope not and more detail will come out but so far nothing to say otherwise

stormy

Where is the XF93?

I supposed at least it has the X1 Extreme Processor, so Dolby Vision (soonTM) which I miss out on, not sure its worth upgrading from the XE90 though and I agree, the stand is dreadful.

Still that awful android system then? Will it be any quicker?
Yeh, this has to be my biggest issue with the TV, the sluggishness of Android TV, and how poorly supported it is for Apps, No BBC iPlayer 4K/HLG, and No Youtube HDR etc.

All the reviews I read seems to suggest the XE90 was fine with Android, it seems without an internet connection it is (as HDTVtest suggest) but most of us need it connected.......

Will these new TVs mean the death of support of the 2017 models? (which has not been stellar as it is)

kinggo

any info on new bugs for 2018? Since introduction in 2015 the list off issues just keeps growing with each new upade. I wish I could go back to the FW my TV came with :(

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
We'll be getting a look at the Sony stand tomorrow and there's a special demo later in the week that is embargoed, so I expect there are more models to come. We'll get a look at their full UK line-up in early February.
Thank you Steve. Kindly check the below
1. How many zones at 55 and 65
2. Peak brightness for lcd and oled (+abl improvement?)
3. X motion? Marketing blurb ?
4. If they buffed up the memory for OS (I hope they haven’t been THAT lazy
5. Do you think vrr is available for all or just Samsung so far.

Sorry for all the questions but trying to work out the improvements if any.

Note: i am not too bothered with lcd stand as they did it to accommodate the new soundbar clearly...

Har-One

Where are ZD9/XE93/94 updates? So far, a very disappointing showing from Sony.
Next Month, at least that was said.

boyarin

As usual i will ask about eARC support specially in Android Kodi

MahaRaja

Just looked at the video the new A8F OLED model with its stand look better and stand straight than the A1, which is still the flagship model and as a result will continue for 2018.

DV for for the new OLED A8F is via future firmware, rather than out of the box. Very disappointing that they can't ship this model with DV but 2017 Sony owners are still waiting for promised DV update in 2018!:p

Last edited:

Vertigo1

Very underwhelming and just confirms my intention to get an XE93. Now I'm wondering if supplies of the XE will actually dry up soon as everyone grabs one.
Where are ZD9/XE93/94 updates? So far, a very disappointing showing from Sony.
Looks like the XF90 is the replacement for both the XE93 and XE90, maybe they're consolidating?

It is a poor showing though - I'm getting the impression that all the big manufacturers are running out of ideas now and thus adding pointless gimmicks like Google Assistant or integration with Alexa etc.

It is daft that Sony's flagship LCD remains the two year old ZD9.

pevz

I was really hoping Sony would include a second tier 'bog standard' OLED as part of the range... without the acoustic surface and on a more traditional stand, but still with all the processing etc.

Like many I already have a solution for the audio, so would resent paying extra for cutting edge tech which I would never use.

Maybe they will announce something in February....

Jules

Distinguished Member
Yeah, nothing too exciting here which is disappointing as I had high hopes for Sony this year.

Maybe they are watching to see what LG do first... I could see why they might want to hold back their big guns (CLED ?) until such time as the ZD9 is no longer competitive in picture quality terms.

With OLED panel development quite mature now, there's seemingly little left in the nits tank for LG.

So I think we'l be stuck between OLED and FALD LCD for a few years now. (I don't believe Samsung after the QLED marketing bull!)

linnasak

Steve,

Be interested to know if any developments on Dolby vision update on their projector range, specifically the vw760. Will they have projectors at show?

Kevin