Sony 2014 LCD Settings Thread

BigPest

Previously Bigpest2724
This could be a stupid question but considering that the W7 and W8 are pretty much the same TV (Motionflow & 3D aside) would settings for say the W8 still be applicable to the W7?

Craig
I'd just bear them in mind mate...get used to what each one does etc and then apply it to your set bearing in mind what advice people give you ie advanced settings and gamma etc...the contrast enhancer on medium is essential for the 829 in addition to gamma at -2..

Last edited:

Craig02

I'd just bear them in mind mate...get used to what each one does etc and then apply it to your set bearing in mind what advice people give you ie advanced settings and gamma etc...the contrast enhancer on medium is essential for the 829 in addition to gamma at -2..

Great thanks, Hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to give some a try and see how they look, They may need some tweaking but that can always come down to personal preference / home environment.

Craig

BigPest

Previously Bigpest2724
Great thanks, Hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to give some a try and see how they look, They may need some tweaking but that can always come down to personal preference / home environment.

Craig
Yeah try out other peoples settings and then pick the bst bits from each ones ensuring that you use the essentials.... Don't know if you are mounting it but I've found a great riser for it so you can fit a soundbar underneath

Craig02

Yeah try out other peoples settings and then pick the bst bits from each ones ensuring that you use the essentials.... Don't know if you are mounting it but I've found a great riser for it so you can fit a soundbar underneath

Yeah I seen your photos it seems like a good idea. Mine will also be staying on its stand. It will be staying as it is for the moment but it may be something to consider for the future :)

Mumid

Thank you, but could you please explain why these settings. And which settings I have to choose on the PS4 then?
These settings both give 1-1 pixel mapping which is the best cause it means the TV doesnt have to do any scaling.

On Ps4 you just want to select "Full" for screen format - on my W829 for the PS4 input, you cant change Display Area, it is just greyed on the TV as Full Pixel.

For the built in tuner change display area to full pixel and for the built in media player to +1.

Vanmorr

Standard Member
These settings both give 1-1 pixel mapping which is the best cause it means the TV doesnt have to do any scaling.

On Ps4 you just want to select "Full" for screen format - on my W829 for the PS4 input, you cant change Display Area, it is just greyed on the TV as Full Pixel.

For the built in tuner change display area to full pixel and for the built in media player to +1.

Great, thank you very much !

Mumid

Ok I have updated my settings after a recalibration - two things i found:

Moving the bias controls down or up in unison will change gamma response at the bottom end, doing this I have a perfectly flat gamma curve at 2.4 gamma.

The colour saturation is a lot better now using low live colour, it messes the secondary tracking points slightly, but it is an acceptable trade off to get the saturation of the primary colours to be a lot more accurate.

I have added 3d settings - the 3d on the set is OK once you get the settings right, it is certainly better than my W685 for crosstalk. One thing i did notice with 3d was Motionflow will make any 24fps based content stutter massively. However, it works fine for normal content such as sports and it also massively reduces crosstalk. This can be seen in the Sony 3D showcase app, try watching the 3D vids with and without motionflow on and you can see a massive reduction in crosstalk with it on.

BigPest

Previously Bigpest2724

Moving the bias controls down or up in unison will change gamma response at the bottom end, doing this I have a perfectly flat gamma curve at 2.4 gamma.

The colour saturation is a lot better now using low live colour, it messes the secondary tracking points slightly, but it is an acceptable trade off to get the saturation of the primary colours to be a lot more accurate.

I have added 3d settings - the 3d on the set is OK once you get the settings right, it is certainly better than my W685 for crosstalk. One thing i did notice with 3d was Motionflow will make any 24fps based content stutter massively. However, it works fine for normal content such as sports and it also massively reduces crosstalk. This can be seen in the Sony 3D showcase app, try watching the 3D vids with and without motionflow on and you can see a massive reduction in crosstalk with it on.
Hello mate

What's been the reason for the recalibration? Is it because of the new software updates or because the tv has been run in a bit? Is the testing done on the same kit as your last post? Everyone was slating the live colour and endorsing the advanced contrast enhancer... It's just funny how it's changed around now that's all... Interesting...

BigPest

Previously Bigpest2724
image.jpg

I've put your settings in mate and used the 7 for daytime general viewing..... Is your picture like this? It's really dull on my set...

Here's mine...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 618

Mumid

Wasnt totally happy with colour saturation so thought i would recalibrate, also wanted to calibrate 3d too. Wanted to test a few things out also. Yeah all my calibrations done with the same sensor and conditions. All ACE does is mess with the backlight and gamma curve, i only really set it to Low if the TV has backlight bleed otherwise I find it unnecessary.

Live colour does mess with the green and yellow tracking points but set to low and reducing the colour control a little gives me an overall better colour performance IMO because the primary colour saturations are more in spec.

Last edited:

Mumid

Yeah my calibrations are all dark room calibrations so will look fairly dull in the daytime, Motionflow Clear does darken the picture a lot but I find it an acceptable trade off for 1080 motion resolution.

What I have found is any combination of backlight and motionflow changes hardly have any affect on the white balance or gamma tracking so feel free to alter those to your personal preference.

wozwebs

Just put your settings in and looks great if not slightly took dark/dull but I can see why it needs to be to accommodate the blacks. Football with Clear motion flow seems the best bet.

Mumid

Its gonna be too dark for anything other than a dark room - bump the gamma to -1 or 0 and the backlight up for viewing in a well lit room.

Vanmorr

Standard Member

Hi Mumid, which settings should I use for Sky HD receiver connected with HDMI to TV.

Mumid

I noticed a lot of people like a quite dynamic overly sharpened look on their TV so have added a bright super sharp HD processed look settings to the original post.

wideawakewesley

Standard Member
If anyone has recommended settings for the 42" W8, I'd appreciate some. It has a different panel to the 50" version due to the passive 3D (on the 42") and some of the options listed in the W8 settings aren't available.

Also, how the hell are you supposed to work out what half these settings mean/do?

megadeth uk

My settings for the 42w829 passive version.

3d mode
Cinema 1
Backlight 5
Contrast 90
Brightness 48
Colour 52
Sharpness 60
Colour temp, warm 2
Resolution 20, everything else left as standard, make sure all the noise reduction is off.
In the advanced settings, everything off but try gamma at -2
These a for night time viewing, the -2 gamma setting wouldn't be any good for the 50 which is active.

For normal viewing in the evening I use cinema 1
Backlight 2
Contrast 95
Bri 49
Colour 52
Sharpness 60
Colour temp warm 2
Everything else is off
Advanced settings all off except gamma -2
These give a natural filmic picture. I've left the white balance alone as I no longer have access to a meter.
If you want something brighter for the day use the settings on cinema 2 and up backlight to 5 and gamma -1
These settings can look dull if your used to a bright colourful image but they are as close to reference I can get without a meter.

Make sure you have the Eco mode off in the general settings, I posted some pictures a while back using the settings on cinema, dark room and using bias lighting. Have a look.
Sony 2014 W7 / W8 (1080p Edge LED TV) Owner's Thread | Page 77 | AVForums

Last edited:

jpr141

Final settings im using on my 50w829 :D These are great for me hope they might work for others too. Only very slightly different to my original ones in another thread though.

Backlight 5
Contrast 86
Brightness 48
Colour 50
Sharpness 60
Reality creation resolution 12
Gamma -2
Warm 2
Smooth graduation low
Motion flow true cinema
Film mode auto
White balance red gain -3 green gain -4 ( leave at default if you want maybe be better on your set )

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li