1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 2 way remote??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kelvin, May 22, 2002.

Tags:
  1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    What exactly does this do?? I've had my 1070 for a couple of months now and can't really see any advantage of the 2 way remote over any other standard remote. I was under the impression that it "communicated" with the receiver and info was sent back? Am I missing something? Or is it just for when you purchase certain extra components??

Kelvin

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Someone must have a 1070 and actually know how the remote works??!!! Anyone...???!

3. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 1070 (Oz model) and it does not have 2 way remote.
    The old STRDB940 had 2 way remote and it was very slow and cumbersome - most people I've heard comment find it annoying.

It certainly did communicate witht the CD player ect, it can put the track and title name on the remote LCD.

I'd imagine if the UK 1070 has 2 way remote, when you put names into the 1070 memory function it will have that on the remote......???
    If it is not REAL slow between clicks, you may have to turn the 2 way function on somehow ?

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    There's no noticeable time lapse when using the remote and as of yet I haven't seen any evidence of info being sent back to the LCD. I did double check through all of the setup menu's to make sure I hadn't accidentally missed a setting relating to this and couldn't find anything. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what it's meant to do or something - I assumed it would send info such as RDS Station Names, volume levels, and DVD names etc back to the remote. I'm now wondering whether it's maybe only compatible with some of the Multi Disc changers like the DVPCX860 (think that's right!).

Ho hum, Just being curious really, isn't it annoying when you don't know how things work!!!

Thanks for replying all the same :)

Kelvin :D

5. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hello

I have got the sony STR-DB930 and find the two way remote extremely helpful. I don't know if it is the same as the 1070 but here are the things I find it does:

Display Input names, even when you change them on the amp*
    Display Track names from CD's & MiniDiscs**
    Display RDS station names or station frequency*
    Show status of CD or MiniDisc (Playing, Paused or stopped)**

*Requires you to 'download' the names to the handset.

**This requires the connection of a mono 3.5mm jack from the control A1 out of the CD player or minidisc player into the Control A1 jack on the amp.

Shame that sony dvd players don't have control A1 sockets :-(

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

6. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got this from www.sony-europe.com.

I had a 1070 for a while and the remote isn't 2way. I had seen it advertised as a 2way but this isn't correct.

- Tom -

7. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I was under the impression that the UK version supported the 2 way remote? Is the European Model different? The model no. of my remote control is RM-LP205 and it has 2 IR detectors/transmitters on the top of the remote. Is this the same as yours??

Alternatively can anybody comment on whether or not the UK one is or isn't compatible? I bought mine from RS so there's a chance it could be an import I guess as I understand they sometimes supply European spec models instead of "official" UK ones - is there anyway I can check which one mine is?? Lots of questions!!!!!

Chris - how do you "download" the info you talked about to the remote control??

Thanks a lot for the replies... Kelvin

8. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kelvin,

my 1070 was European spec but the remote also had the 2 IR transmitters/receivers (model-no indeed RM-LP205), I think one of them is the transmitter, the other one is the receiver for learning commands.

- Tom -

9. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I had a UK spec 940 and 'Bond', the remote commander, was two-way.
    A good idea, Sony trying new things, did offer benefits as described above, giving you current/live info on the attached components on the 930.

But, it was really slow, and does create a 3 second delay in changing the amp settings.

10. thudspud

thudspud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    kelvinp, I can't remember exactly but I will check when I get home later. I think you press the set-up button on the remote (top right hand side) and then select the download IR info or somethiong like that!!!

I will check for definate tonight.

Cheers

Chris

11. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no experience of the 1070 but I assume that the 940 is similar.

I have a Sony 940 and the remote was a two way remote. The receiver sent status information back to the remote which was displayed on the remote's LCD screen. Did you not receive a manual for the remote?

12. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yes, I did get a manual for the remote but it didn't say anything about how to download/set the remote up for 2 way use, nor did the receiver manual for that matter.

The UK brochure clearly says it's a 2 way remote though which is why I'm a little confused! - I'm beginning to think I may well have a "European" spec model, still doesn't explain the 2 IR ports though :confused: