Sony 16:9 Ratio

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Stevo555, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Stevo555

Stevo555
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does anyone out there know what the difference is between 16:9 and normal Wide mode on a Sony TV?

My KD32DX51 has Smart, Zoom, 4:3, Wide and 14:9 modes. However I noticed that some Sonys have an extra "16:9" mode - does anyone know what this does to the screen?

When I watch wide aspect ratio films (e.g. 2.35 to 1) I get the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen as expected. However, when going into zoom mode all it does is stretch the image vertically so that images look too tall and thin. I was hoping that zoom mode would just magnify the image, with no distortion, and just chop off the far right and left portions of the screen. Zoom mode just does a simple magnification (no stretching) when the image source is in 4:3 format.

Does anyone know how to zoom into wide ratio films (>1.85 to 1) and still preserve the image proportions? I can live with the loss of the right and left parts of the image - I just want to get rid of the black bars at the top and bottom. I wondered if this is what the 16:9 mode does on some Sonys?

Thanks.

2. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know, the 16:9 mode is only found on 4:3 telies (ironically). It compresses a full 16:9 picture into a letterbox format so that you can see it all on a 4:3 screen.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,905
    I'm not aware

a) of any TVs that offer such an option
    b) why anyone would want to watch only part of a widescreen film anyway.

4. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    On Sony TV's zoom mode is used to crop the top/bottom black bars from non-anamorphic (ie 4:3) letterboxed transmissions. My folks set when set to Smart will change into this mode when it detects such a transmission, usually films on Channel 4 terrestrial. The same mode on my Toshiba is called Cinema.

5. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    I Agree. '16:9' mode is only found on 4:3 sony sets. On widscreen models, it is simply called 'wide'.