1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 12HT price dive

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TravelBug, Apr 9, 2003.

1. TravelBug

TravelBug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    i need some info, quick, for my own peace of mind. :(

I have been auditioning for a projector for several months. Last year, around Nov, I decided on 12HT. However, the shop I was dealing with had to wait for shipment of 12HT (they only had 11HT), as well as the Hi-Fi components that I wanted. Finally, last week, everything came together. And I paid for 20% for it, with delivery a couple of weeks later.

Now, my question is HOW MUCH HAS THE SONY 12HT PRICE DROPPED? What was the original price? (I know its price is currently around 3000 pounds.)

Also, does anyone know when the 13HT is coming out?

Having said all that, I am very happy with my 12HT, DVI does not concern me since I don't intend to use HTPC. :) I'm just worried that paid more than I should. In that case, I'd go back to the shop and BLAST them! :devil:

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get it from www.go2camcorder.co.uk for £3000 incl VAT and nexnix sell it for 2999+VAT.

I believe the original price was closer to 3999+VAT.

J

3. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought they were originally about 5,999 - which makes the price drop all the more amazing.

Errrr, don't you know how much you paid for it?!!!

4. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since we've seen the price drop on the net i've been intouch with three local dealers, one being The Sony Centre and they are all still selling the 12ht for £5-6000!

So I got one of them to get intouch with Sony direct to find out why they are cheaper on the net?

He said the reason for this is they (Sony) have had a faulty batch of 12ht's with their power supplys!

eg, they're recons!!

His words, not mine!

PS, none of them have heard anything about SXRD neither.....

Regards,

5. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Selling recon units as new would be illegal. I really don't think Sony would play that game.

Sorry, but that is BS.

6. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Like i said his words not mine ;)

7. TravelBug

TravelBug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the record, I paid around USD4000 for it, this including the ceiling mount bracket, and all VAT/taxes.

I still find it hard to believe that in 2 - 3 months, Sony can drop such a projector price by as much as USD1000. Unless the 13HT is coming out or has already come out.

Does anybody have the inside scoop???

8. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Travelbug, Where did you buy the 12ht from, have you got a link please?

Regards,

9. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gwbailey - the comment wasn't aimed at you. Sounds like a BS story from a dealer so that he can shift his stock......

Can Sony drop the prices so much so quickly - sure. The market is very quickly becoming fiercely competitive - the VW12HT pricing simply didn't work in the market anymore. It was almost unsellable. Better to cut the price and sell than end up with dead stock. This looks to me like the beginning of a downward spiral on pricing across the board.

10. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The quote came from Sony UK not the dealer...the dealer does NOT carry any stock.

When I asked him how much he bought them in for he said £3700+vat+any profit...hence the reason he couldn't at this time sell it for £3000!!

So my question to you or anyone else is how come some dealers are selling for £3000, but some will not sell for less than £5-6000?

You see what i don't get is if Sony UK has dropped the price why wont the Sony Centre sell for £3000???

Regards,

11. TravelBug

TravelBug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gwbailey:-
    I find it unbelievable that there are places in UK selling the 12HT for GBP 5-6000 - Sony Centre no less! What an utter rip-off! Money grabbing a**h*les!

I understand the original price is actually around USD7000, that translates to GBP4400???

Having said that, I got mine from a little shop here in my own country - that is Singapore. I paid local currency approx SGD7000 for it, which translates to USD4000. Electronic goods are very cheap here, esp. if you know where to go! Meaning: don't go to the big retailers like Sony Centre, for example. Savvy folks will buy from small little shops, as long as the full international warranty is included. Anyone coming down to Singapore??? I'll be glad to recommend my contacts!

Btw, the shop I go to is named Audio Jas (sorry no weblink). I bought a pair of Sonus Faber Wall speakers for SGD950 (USD540), Marantz 7300 amp & Rel 150 Sub for SGD1200 (USD680) each. Was going to go for Sonus Faber Concertino Front & Centre speakers (for USD680 & USD395 respectively) but the boss recommended Aurum Cantas - Aurum Cantas is the manufacturer in China that produces for Red Rose Music. I auditioned and was blown away. Decided on the Leisure II Signature (bookshelf speakers @SGD1,280) which is actually RRM (red rose music) Rosebud 2 & AC Chorus (Centre speaker/SGD750) which is RRM Spirit Theatre Monitor. Of cos' there some cosmetic changes on the cabinet so as not to look exactly the same as RRM (copyright).

Check out RRM link www.redrosemusic.com

Can't wait to connect everything together and enjoy movies on my 90" screen as well as music on my SF and AC speakers....

12. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks TravelBug, you are one very lucky guy!!!

I've since been intouch with another local Sony Centre and he said £6000 as well so I got him to phone Sony UK to confirm this...to which he replyed "it's not £6000 it's £4699 and always has been"!!

I also got him to ask if they're ceaper now because of SXRD or 13ht coming out soon...they said nope, the 12ht is here for the year!

So, if they are selling for £3-4000 now I reckon come Xmas when SXRD comes out, you'll see some very good deals on the 12ht...maybe £2000?

Could be worth waiting a bit longer, pick up the 12ht for about£2000'ish keep for about 2-3 years, let SXRD sort it's bugs out (if any) then buy a 2nd gen SXRD!

Sorted...:D

Regards,

13. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0