1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 1292 owners

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cablecar, Sep 7, 2005.

1. cablecar

cablecar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am thinking about upgrading from DLP to a Sony 1292. Looking for help from owners past or present. I will be feeding the projector from my HTPC with a custom resolution. My quetions are as follows:

a) Best resolution to drive projector.

B) Noise levels and improvements to be made.

c) Setup advise.

Cablecar

2. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi there, Nice units these if you can pick up a good one, I set one up recently for a guy who lives in my neck of the woods, tubes were A1 and he was driving it with a Vigatec scaler..end result very nice indeed.

Downside to these units (for some) is their huge size and most of all their very high noise level, not a problem on the above mentioned unit because it was floor mounted and in a very nice cabinet.

As for set up, I have said it many times before and will continue to say it, getting the very best from most crt's is a job for the pro's, sure I would say that and yes you can play with them, but a nine inch tubes deserves to look its best.

Not sure where you are based but you may be able to view the unit I have mentioned, although its situated out on our lovely limb called Norfolk.

James

3. mrking

mrking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a mint 1292 in my possession which I'm yhinking of parting with.
    The tubes are pristine and the chassis and tubes has less than 800 hours on them.

Let me know if you are interested.
    I would let it go cheap.

4. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mod comment: could you please keep any potential For Sale ads in the classified's section. Cheers

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Noise is the isse here but there are LOTS of things you can do.

6. cablecar

cablecar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mrking

What sort of price are you looking for?

Cablecar

7. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Remember, no trading here....

8. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Cablecar,

Was it you that bought that mint 1292 from one of our members recently. That projector, in that condition, at that price - gonna make someone very happy!

Nick

9. cablecar

cablecar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Welwynnick

No I have not bought yet I am still waying up the pros and cons.

Cablecar

10. Erling

Erling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Cablecar,

I'm not a 1292 expert, but have been the happy owner of one for more than 1.5 years now and will try to give you some advice as best I can.

Generally, it seems that a resolution of 1440x960 for 16:9 (vertical squeeze) is considered the sweetspot. I use this myself in addition to 1440x1152 for 4:3 material. 1440x960 is twice the NTSC DVD resolution and 1440x1152 is twice the PAL DVD resolution. Scaling-wise, it's of course a compromise for 16:9 PAL DVDs and 4:3 NTSC DVDs, but in practice it works alright.

I started out using refresh rates of 72 and 75 Hz respectively for NTSC and PAL. Later tried lowering them to 48 and 50 Hz instead. Was sceptical, since I'm very sensitive to flicker from PC CRT monitors, but viewing DVDs from my normal seating position, I simply can't see the flicker. Improvements were a noticeably sharper image and a much reduced warm-up time before convergence drifts completely into place.

With regards to noise, I'm living with it, but it really IS bad.
    Many have reported that replacement of the fans really isn't worth it; very little improvement considering the necessary effort.
    An interesting modification I saw mentioned was to open up the fan grills in the case, as much of the noise apparently is generated by the grills obstructing the airflow.
    Most efficient though appears to be a hushbox. Will have to be a big one, since the 1292 is quite enormous in itself. Have to make room for proper airflow inside it and it will almost certainly need some kind of active air intake. The 1292 generates a lot of heat and a closed-in box would have to dispose of this somehow, to assure safe and stable running of the pj.

I hope this helps with some of your questions.

Cheers,
    Erling