1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 1272 Fan Modification

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by shaunr, May 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Has anyone performed this modification yet? The info from Roland and Gordon suggests that this projector will be noisy, so i'm looking to explore this area in the near future.

If anyone has the plans/requirements for this (was it Chuck's mod from the AVS Forum??) i would be grateful if they could send it to me. (shaunr@ntlworld.com)

Gordon/ Roland,

Any chance that you may offer this modification?

Thanks as ever!,

Shaun

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Shaun,

I carried out a Chuck Williams fan just a week or so ago to the NEC10 I had. Helipilot, a forum member, helped me as he had done his NEC9 a few weeks previous. It was very effective. I took some pics. It took 3.5hrs and that was with the circuit already built....had trouble locating some cable in the wiring harness.

Anyway, I have bits to do another and intend that to be my Sony1270. I have Chucks Sony schematic and will check it's same or similar to NEC then have a go. Will take pics for my web site.

Here's a taster

Attached Files:

3. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Looks good Gordon:)

Theres no rush for this to be done, but i'd appreciate it if you can let me know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Shaun

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Perhaps I'm being a perfectionist here but the problem with Chucks design is that it only drops the voltage of the fans and makes no allowance for PJ over heat. His design also bypasses the projectors shut down facility if a fan fails (a real danger if you drop the voltages this low (8.5v).

It makes no allowance for the heat differences between a PJ that is table or ceiling mounted.

I do however like the timer he built in to speed the fans to start with so you know its working.

Keep watching this space.

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That exact space?

Maybe you need to start a list of people who want the fan mod. It sounds like it could be popular.

Nick

6. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah, a list sounds good. I know you've been asked this loads of times Roland, but any ideas when please??

I don't fancy getting the projector up on the ceiling just to remove it in a couple of weeks to perform this mod.

Thanks for your comments...what do you reckon Gordon? How's the NEC doing?

Shaun

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The NEC10 isn't being installed in its new home for several months.

Helipilot, who did his NEC9 first , has his unit boxed in to an enclosed ceiling space. IE it's attached to a ceiling and then he built a lowered ceiling below it and around it to reduce noise and hide the beast. It's near silent and the room gets very warm. The thing doesn't appear to be drifting and it hasn't failed yet after ab out 2 months now, of strong use. So hopefully he's alright.

My own Sony will be the test. It is used for 4-5hrs every day and is in a box on floor which is enclosed apart from front opening....just need time to get round to doing it.

Gordon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.