Sony 1271 vertical picture problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BobbyBlaze, Mar 9, 2006.

1. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi everybody!,
    I finally got to play with the Sony 1271 that I bought at the end of last year and something's gone horribly wrong.

I was enjoying watching a movie and the urge to twitch got me. I wanted to see some line tripled action and tried to set up powerstrip to a custom res of 720x864 but since then I've had a problem with the vertical hold of the projector.

The picture doesn't roll as such but the vertical size squeezes itself about 2 - 10 % from the top and the bottom frequently (more than 1 hz). What concerns me is that the projector will exhibit this symptom whether it's been fed by RGBHV, any of the other video inputs or even no input at all.

I'm really hoping that someone out there with the 'right stuff' can enlighten me with a way to solve this problem. (I can't believe I broke it on the first day:suicide: )

Cheers ,

Rob

2. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's unlikely that feeding it a funny frequency has caused this.
    I've had a similar problem on a seleco that was a dry joint on a ribbon cable.

Does the squishing occur as a pattern or is it seemingly random - random is most likely a dodgy connection somewhere, a pattern suggests something different.

3. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers Boy Lex,
    glad to see there's someone out there listening as I shake my fist at the heavens:thumbsup:

I also have a seleco 320+ and I think I might know the problem you're talking about on that one where it's like the picture won't sync properly and sort of tears horizontally but this is a different problem.

The picture is squeezed vertically from the top and the bottom. Like a kind of jitter but of varying amplitude. It might not do it for a couple of seconds and then it comes back with a vengeance. Really worried reading around some of the AVSforums that I might have done some damage setting the resolution too high in powerstrip and overstressing the projector.

Really hope I'm wrong and that there is a simple solution (tried the clamp:( ). If anyone can think of anything then please let me know or if you have any idea as to how to diagnose the problem and extent of any damage, then please post.

Thanks,

Rob

4. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    C'mon guys :smashin: ! I'm sweating bullets here 'cos the Missus is gonna fudge my sh!t up if it's fubar.:rolleyes:

5. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Everybody :hiya:

Okay... (yawn) I'm still on the case but the American shift over on AVSforums has clocked off and the state of play is as follows.

Curt has suggested uninstalling powerstrip and resetting the installation settings to 128 to put things back to the way they were as a first step.

This has been done and the problem still persists. It happens with all inputs and without any so source can now pretty much be excluded (gulp) and it's looking more and more like a hardware problem (big gulp).

What should my next step be, do you think? What information can I provide to you that might be of use in diagnosing the problem (picture wobbles vertically 2-10% from the top and the bottom).

One again thanks to one and all for your help. The day I fell in love again with CRT was the day it broke my heart Ah, well ... life would be boring without ups and downs :D
    (Sob)... first, bloody day.....(sob) :suicide:

6. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi BB and sorry to hear your tale of woe.... but when you say 'It might not do it for a couple of seconds and then it comes back with a vengeance' that would give me a little encouragement.

That type of problem is often a bad connection somewhere rather than a component failure, otherwise the fault would tend to remain constant. I'd be inclined to have a good look at all the connectors you can easily get to and give them all a little push (with the power off obviously) you might just strike it lucky.

7. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it does sound like the same problem I was having with the seleco (not the same as the one you mentioned). It sounds like a dodgy connection on the deflection board somewhere that's causing it to drop deflection in and out... So it syncs ok, but the vertical size seems to be unable to settle.

If you know where not to put your hands (well one hand at a time just in case) when the pj is on, you might try wiggling connectors on the deflection board to see if you can fix/exasserbate the problem.

8. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Guys,

yes, the picture is definitely sync'ing bot consistant wow and flutter on the vertical size.

I've looked at Curt Palme's site's Tech Tips and will attempt to jiggle some cables and boards at the first opportunity.

In the mean time could anyone post a decent powerstrip timing for a 1271 and is there a complete factory reset option that I can use as well?

Thanks again and I'll let you know how I get on :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Rob

9. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi again :thumbsup: ,
    Ok, heads up is as follows:-
    Downloaded Curt Palme's FAQ Tech Tips and have followed instructions to remove outer case exposing convergence board. Gave everything a wiggle but did not take off the ribbon cables and re-seat (should I?). Turned the PJ on and problem persisted. Had a brief wiggle of anything that did not look like HV power cables (most of them) but to no avail.

What should I do now, O'Mighty Lords of CRT? Is it worth unseating all the ribbon cables on the convergence boarddoes anyone have any more information on the specific or most likely location of the problem or would opening the deflection board and removing and re-seating the CPU and sync boards be a better move?

I am at your command:lease:

10. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Me again,
    unscrewed the deflection board and took a peak underneath and saw that both the DE and DD boards between the blue and green tubes were slightly unseated. Pushed both of them in and couldn't wait to switch the PJ on. Plugged it and and BAM... exactly the same:confused: Really hoping that it was gonna be that simple. Will check CPU board and sync. and let you know.

Anyone with an inkling of what might be wrong and fancies the kudos, then please post and ease a tormented soul for the day:devil:

Cheers again :thumbsup: ,

Rob

11. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Extrapalating from above, and reading Curt's Palmes FAQ and tech tips it states something along the lines about not removing the DD and DE boards when the lead is plugged in as current always flows through these circuits and it could fry them.

Could this be the problem? If they were not all the way in flat then they could have been partly out and thus, fried. As we now have a lead, is this worthy of further investigation or merely a red herring to lead us off the trail?

Any ideas?

12. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi!:thumbsup:

just removed the main protective shield and tried to remove the shield covering the CPU and sync boards. I couldn't remove the shield as there was a big plastic chminey on top of it that was lodged under a beefy wire going to the red CRT. You could push a couble of the boards through the chimney, which I duly did.

Plugged in unit and same problem occurred again (no joy).

What could be the culprit?:confused:

13. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi again.

I removed the chimney and the CPU and sync boards and D/A boards, I pressed the IC's on the CPU and reseated the boards. No joy (still wobbling).

Cheers for the help so far, everyone. If it wasn't for you all I'd be moping around big time by now. :)

Well, when we have eliminated the impossible, whatever remain, however improbable, must be the truth.
    Any Sherlocks out there? :rolleyes:

14. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Any news on a way to factory reset the thing? also any powerstrip setting for the 1271 would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks

15. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  16. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi again fella, looks like you're in luck, ebay item no.5878091738 (about £50)
    Good luck :thumbsup: K

17. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    YAY:hiya:

Based on my previous post and the fact that I felt life was no longer worth living without my new but much beloved PJ, I took my life in my hands and started twiddling with wires on the vertical sync board whilst the PJ was switched on.

Result? SORTED:thumbsup: Just watched my first 1080i ts movie (gladiator) and was B.l.o.w.n. A.w.a.y. Really stonkingly good stuff.

Most of all I'm just chuffed that she's (all projectors are female like ships, right?) working fine again even though I'm scared to sneeze in case I set it off again :D

Anyway, cheers again folks!

Rob

Ps. Just checked your post klr10. Thanks for the heads up. That ebay merchant is like a scrap yard for old PJ's. I suggest anyone requiring spare parts check it out.

18. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:

19. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice one...

it'd be a good idea to do the same again to bring it back (i know you don't want to!) and figure out where the dodgy joint is. If you then pull out the board, you can resolder it and sit back safe in the knowledge it won't recurr.

20. BobbyBlaze

BobbyBlaze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks,
    just for now I'm gonna put my faith in the projector gods and hope for the best as I'm the worst cack-handed solderer in the land. Every time I have attempted the simplest soldering job I have, at best, burnt my fingers to buggerey and, at worst, fubar'd what I was working on.

It might be worth having a go before I ceiling mount the PJ but for now I have learnt my lesson and resisted the urge to fiddle and will simply sit back and enjoy the show:thumbsup: