1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony 11ht

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by patmyhead, Apr 4, 2002.

1. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi i orderd the sony from hifi components total cost £3466.74
    this includes bank charges & delivery
    has anyone used this german company before as it is now 11 days & still no pj
    auto emails just say it can take several days for payment to be recived i am now starting to get worried
    pat :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Bank transfers do take time (unless you pay extra for the fast service). Easter can't have helped.

3. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Paid £20 for fast cervice
    P@

4. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Late delivery is the least of your problems (apart from no delivery, obviously) but what is the situation with dead pixels? The PJ is fantastic but the whole experience could be ruined if you have a low DP tolerance. Getting the lowest price possible isn't the priority, getting a PJ that works correctly that you are 100% satsified with is. And if this comes at a slight price premium then it could really be considered a saving in the long run.

Don't mean to get you on a downer. I hope the unit is perfect and that you have many hours of pleasure from it as I do from mine.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I share your sentiments, Chicken Balti. But, when I bought my VW10 a couple of years back, I bought mine my mail order from Germany. At the time the price comparison was UK £5500 - no less; mine cost me £4150. Now, for that saving, I reckoned that, if I did encounter a problem, I could certainly afford to ship it back, several times. Indeed, I could have afforded to fly out there and return it in person, 3 or 4 times, and still be on top.

Rip Off Britain. As it is, I'm 2 years, about 1,000 hours, one bad green pixel unnoticeable from normal viewing distance, and £1350 better off. I don't blame patmyhead for doing what he has done - with the sole exception that he should have paid by credit card, even if it carried a small surcharge.

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Many companies don't accept credit card payments from International buyers anymore.

7. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    they do not except credit card so i had to pay by bank transfer
    had a mail from them today saying that payment may be in there account but they have to wait to get a letter from the bank to confirm it &to wait till next week

this to me seems strange
    on the dead pixel issue if there was any i had saved a lot of cash so i was going to use that for any returns that had to be made
    liveing on an island with no demo facilites & even higer than uk prices i had to buy mail order & the gerrmans where the cheepest
    but as i have found not the quickest
    MY advice to anyone useing this shop is can you wait
    I certanly carnt
    will post if & when i have any news
    :clown: :eek: :mad:

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I know that, for you, it's too late. But for anyone else considering doing the same, my advice is to buy it from somewhere that does take cards. My German retailer (hifi regler) was very reluctant, but when I told them that it was either that or no sale, they agreed. They surcharged me DM150 (about £50) for the privilege - but I thought it well worth the small extra cost.

9. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You live & learn
    P@

10. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just had a delevery date for sony week 17 i think its next week
    this suppler had my payment 2 days after i did transfer of cash
    they fibbed about not haveing recieved payment when they knew all along that they had it
    the sony was in stock when i orderd it their web site shows it still is in stock
    so from order to promised delevery is 4 weeks
    I know the pj was much cheaper than in uk but the hassle i have had makes me think was it worth it
    If you want to make big saveings & can wait a very long time use this shop but beware think twice & use a shop that takes credit card
    P@ :blush: :rolleyes: :mad:

11. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I considered doing something similar but I wanted to ensure the projector didn't have any dead pixels and a local warranty.

I ended up buying from PRC in Forest Gate for £4,150 then last week found www.go2camcorder.co.uk advertising for £3,600. Barclaycard refunded me the maximum £500 so I ended up paying just £3,650 for a VW11.

12. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I used the same company a couple of years back when I bought my 10HT. I remember making a few phone calls with regard to the bank transfer, but I don´t remember waiting to long for the projector.

More often than not these kind of companies place an order with the distributor when they receive your order - it´s part of the reason you get such a good deal on the price. I guess there was a hicup with the distributor.

Ian

13. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nigel Williams - What do you mean BarcleyCard refunded you the max 500 Pounds?

I am just about to buy an 11HT. My local dealer wants £4800, just after getting £1500 out of me for a VuTech Vflex Pro 8 Ft motorised screen. AV4U will sell me an 11HT for £3995 and £35 delivery! Why would my local dealer want £800 more. Is there any complexity to setting up the pj?

I must say, I am worried about ordering the 11HT and having a dose of pixels out..
    Comments please.:(

14. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My local dealer (Musical Images) wanted £4,800 but someone on AVS Forums recommended PRC in Forest Gate, London. They quoted me £4,150 for the VW11 and it's close enough for me to pick up myself.

I used my Barclaycard to pay for the VW11 in full then I found a website advertising it for £3,600 3 weeks later. Barclaycard will refund upto £500 if you find the same product advertised cheaper within 60 days.

If you thought price fixing in the High street was bad, just check out what happens at Hi-Fi dealers. Nearly all manufacturers refuse to have their products discounted. They will find it hard to compete against Internet retailers as many no doubt are finding out.

One thing to bear in mind, many Internet sellers import "grey" stock from the continent which is invariably cheaper. There is little if any difference between models apart from the power lead.

Ensure you have a warranty, all EU products now come with a 2 year manufacturer warranty. I paid £256 to extend my warranty for 5 years.

As for setup, I had no problems. I setup the screen first then found the mid-point to setup the projector. Finding screen joists is tricky and I'd suggested the Unicol bracket over the Sony one - it's sturdier and cheaper!

15. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Very good of BarcleyCard I would say!
    Cheers for the quick reply. Can't tell you off how stressed I'm getting at the mo; over a bloody projector!
    AV4U assure me their VW11's are UK models and carry a 1 year warranty.
    Where do you get the unicol bracket and how many pixels were out on your PJ?
    Cambo.

16. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Go to www.unicol.co.uk for the bracket but you need to know the drop before ordering as there are several models. Mine is rock solid with just 2 coach bolts (of 4 possible) into a joist. You need a set of allen keys to adjust it.

The projector has no dead pixels - that's why I chose PRC as they let you test the projector in the shop!

Barclaycard make sooo much money it's hardly a problem. It's the feature Angus Deaton was advertising with his rather tasteful orange jacket!

17. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel,

You hit the nail on the head. You simply MUST be able to check the PJ for dead pixels, if you get a good deal into the bargain then youre onto a winner. This has got to be the priority, what would be the point of getting the best LCD PJ out there only to be saddled with a unit that has you constantly staring at the dead pixels?

It has always been my opinion that it is worth spending a bit extra and getting a perfect PJ from a dealer, even if it costs a few quid more. If you can do that and walk (run?) out of the shop with a bargain then fair play to you. But don't be a slave to the cheapest price available, it could end up more costly later.

By the way, its a stonking PJ and kicks the @rse of every other LCD out there. Believe me.

18. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for all your helpful advice lads. I think i'll fly down to London in the next fortnight and buy one from AV4U or PRC in person (still be saving loads!).
    At the risk of sounding stupid, is there any particular method for testing PJ's for dead pixels; or do you simply turn it on and shine it on a wall?

19. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's pretty much it. There's a picture mute button which turns the screen black so they should show up - also try turning it upside down.

PRC were very busy when I called so we quickly went into the store room to test it. Hardly the best environment but Nick was more than happy to do this. He said that if I did get a problem and a dead pixel appeared near the middle, he would swap it out. He's sold over 50 in the last 3 months and not had a single problem.

Give them both a call before coming down. They usually carry stock.

20. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Check your PM Nigel!