1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY 11HT What have i done wrong

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by patmyhead, May 4, 2002.

1. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I have had the sony now for 3 days &played with it for hours but i carnt seem to get it right
    if i get the bottom & sides level & square the top runs out of level about 4" on my 84" screen which is 14ft from PJ
    both PJ & bottom of screen is 24" from floor
    I have cut hole in wall between armchairs for sony to sit to keep wife happy this means the PJ is about 18" off centre
    have tried all the settings & failed
    also how do i stop the light overrun around screen it spills over 12" & is offputting did not have this problim with my Sanyo PJ
    I have Sony connected via component from my arcam dvd player & pictures in both PAL & NTSC progrissive scan are impressive
    one further point if i get the Denon 1SR av amp that has i think progressive scan inputs & outputs does this mean that say a Sky picture would be converted in the amp to component signal & shown as such on the Sony
    Any help much aprecated
    P@

2. avguyworld

avguyworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Projecectors fire light striaght from bottomm of lens and up at an angle from top of the lens so the best position for pj is assuming pj is not upside down , bottom of image must be at same level as bottom of the lens.

Sony projectors also do not project a full image until a source is added which might explain your over run

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    Your question was "what have I done wrong", and your post contains the answer.

To get a properly rectangular picture, the projector lens MUST be positioned laterally centrally to the screen, ie, if you measure the distance from one side (vertical edge) of the screen to the lens, it should be exactly the same measurement as to the other side of the screen.

If you MUST have the projector mounted where it is, then your only other choice is to laterally angle the screen so that these two distances are equal. You won't get a "square" picture without getting the lateral position right.

4. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has puzzled me why the 11HT only has vertical keystone adjustment when the HS1 has both vertical and horizontal at half the price.

Pip :confused:

5. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I quote from Sony manual
    the digital keystone correction fuction allows projection at a WIDE ANGLE end quote
    what i have now done is reverse chair &settee position remove custom cupboard fitted through wall
    cut new hole refit cupboard make good wall & redecerate
    PJ is still off centre of screen but with a bit of fiddleing is now looking presentable
    It makes you think though why a PJ costing over £5 grand hasent the abillity to corect a off centre instillation
    right now i am of to have another tinker with settings to get best possible pictures
    Thanks to all for takeing time to help me
    thanks again M8s

P@

6. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HI again
    STILL have light overspill from PJ any ideas?
    P@

7. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chaps,

As far as I know the HS1's 'sideshot' feature, whilst practical, introduces the odd artefact that would be unacceptable to anyone who had purchased the 11HT. I'll probably get flamed for this but the HS1 is a fun PJ whereas the 11HT has more serious aspirations. I hope all you HS1 owners understand what I mean.

As for P@'s light overspill, I assume you have tried to correct the image size with the zoom ring, if so then it is probably at it's limit of adjustment and cannot reduce the image size any more. In this case you must have your PJ too far from the screen and will need to move it a bit closer, or alternatively get a bigger screen.

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    Dick,

I think you are right. Keystone correction will always introduce some artefacts into the image. The Sony's handle this very well (probably because they have many more pixels to scale to, than other, lesser machines). But it is probably true to say that it is easier to install with the lateral position exactly right, than the vertical Hence the (necessary) provision of vertical keystone correction, and the lack of horizontal.