1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 11ht & Sharp Z9000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zcaps57, Dec 27, 2001.

1. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, everyone. :)

I'm currently dead locked between 11HT and Z9000.

I'm gonna buy one in couple of days, and I would love to hear your comments, thoughts and opinions on those projectors.

Any comments, input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

2. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I was also looking at both these projectors and holding off until they had been reviewed. The reviews for the Sony were very long in coming and the reports I read said it was not that much different from the VW10HT. It also had the problems of dead pixels, dust etc. The reviews of the Z9000 from the states were very good and I had more or less decided that I would get one of those when it was released here.... until I saw the price. Quotes of £8500 did not impress me. Add to that the expensive bulbs and the low bulb lifes. I know they can be bought from Germany cheaper but I would not want to take the risk as any aftersales service would be difficult to get if things go wrong. There was a thread a few days ago for a place in England that had them cheaper but it also said that they have not got any at the moment which is no use at all. I could claim to sell them for £100 but if I dont have them in stock then whats the point.

I decided to really ask myself what it was I wanted out of the projector and the answer was of course, the best picture quality I could get for a reasonable price.
    The only projector that really fitted the bill was a reconditioned CRT with a waranty. I know they are not too pretty but hell we are the only ones who have to look at it each day and if it gives us so much pleasure then we can forgive it for that. The Sharp and the Sony are non too small either.
    In my opinion even TV sets are very ugly, it does not matter how flat or silver and shiny it is but we all put up with them in our main rooms along with christmas trees. pot plants and other stupid looking items.

Look on the avsforum.com for loads of info on the Sharp

Best of luck in your decision

3. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yup the same 2 machines where on my shopping list,i managed to view them back to back(thanks to Gordon) arrived and he was already viewing scenes from gladiator on the HT11 i was impressed ,he did point out the lack of detail in the darker areas of the scene, and also some `jaggy` edges along various edges in the arena scenes,overall though,the picture was good but couldn`t help thinking it was a bit `grey`,though at this stage i thought i could buy this one,next up the sharp 9000 straight away it blew me away,blacks where far, far, blacker,and contained detail i never even knew was there :eek: no `jaggy` edges and the colour saturation simply blew the sony away,in the `red jumper`scene from the movie Pleasantville. the sony`s red jumper was washed out orange. compared to the sharps blood red jumper,no `greyness`to the picture at all, almost crt like in picture smoothness,i loved it to bits,but i don`t think it is really fair to compare them,the sharp is almost double the price of the sony(yes the sharp can be bought for around £5800-£6000,obviously grey imports,but the sony can be bought for £3800 the same way),if £4000 is your top wack then enjoy the sony it is very good(if you have the space buy a 2nd hand crt)if you can afford to spend more take a serious look at the sharp, i loved it so much i`m buying one( i have no space for a crt,or i would have saved myself some serious dosh and gone for one of those) remember this is my opinion,but i feel the sharp is the closest thing to crt type picture quality yet.