1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 10ht vs projectors for about 1k

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by schillaci0, Feb 7, 2005.

1. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I am interested in a projector and the 10ht in its day was top dog but where would it stand now.

2. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I have a 10HT (£4000> in its day) and have compared it to the Sony HS50 (£1700 now). For films & TV the detail the 10HT provides is just as good as the HS50. The scaling within the 10HT is very good also. What lets the 10HT down is the contrast ratio. In a small percentage of films where its very dark the image can be a little hard to make out. The 10HT is a little noiser than the HS50 and marginally bigger. After the 10HT I could never drop below a 1280x720 resolution (the 10HT is actually 1366x768).

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    It wouldn't. It would sit in the corner and cry!!
    Yes, the resolution is still very good by todays standards, BUT by todays standards the contrast ratio is pitiful and it sounds like its about to take off.

I had a VW11 which was considered a significant improvement to the VW10, but even that is easily outclassed by the new crop of cheap LCD projectors.
    I own an HS50 now, and despite the slight reduction in resolution it is in a different league.

Resolution is something, contrast is everything.
    Unless you're watching Monsters' Inc, most films look very washed out on a VW10.

Its very hard to accept that a projector you paid £4000-£5000 for 2 or 3 years can be so outclassed now for so little, but its true.

I think the last VW10 was sold on here for about £400.
    I sold my HS20 (the generation after the VW11) 3 weeks ago for £799 with only 65 hours on the clock.

£1000 buys you alot of projector these days.