1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY 10HT OWNERS

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by leon, Jul 2, 2001.

1. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hiya can you help with some information for me plz .....
    this is for 10ht owners only ,,,,,,,,,,, :)
    1 what make of screen do you use ?
    2 what size is it ?
    3 what gain is it if any ?
    4 electric or manual
    5 where did you get it from e.g import/or local shop...

im looking to get a 10ht or 11ht if it is available but im getting abit lost in the world of screens ive read an article here http://crimdom.net/home-theatre/screens.html
    this man has tried a lot of samples and found the one that suits him ,im drawn towards the da-lite screens or stuart but i would like to get your input on what you use
    for your best results ,thx for answering the questions.....
    http://www.ronin100.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk///

2. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Leon,

Check out www.avsforum.com there are a lot of post's here about screens for the VW10. It appears that the Stewart Greyhawk is the best.
    I use the Vutec Vuflex Pro 1.3 gain, with good results. Make sure you get the projector set up correctly and use progressive scan.
    Hope this helps.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    For what it's worth....

I use an 8-foot wide (approx 9-foot diagonal) screen. It is a White roller blind bought from John Lewis (a department store) for £145. The price is inflated because it was made to measure. The same thing, off the shelf, at 6 foot wide, is about £60.

It has no gain, and, as you might have guessed, it's manual.

It was always my intention to "upgrade" to a "proper" screen in due time. However, after over a year (and 600 hours' use) I'm not feeling dissatisfied with what I have.

The point about the Sony is that there is more than enough brightness, even at this large size, and even with "Cinema Black" (ie reduced lamp output) switched on.

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Same Vutec 80 inch Widescreen as Sharky.

To be honest if your getting a Sony you should really only be looking at Widescreen screens (most places have 16:9 screens but call them either Video or HDTV format), unless your space somehoe restricts it.

Cheers

Slingshot

5. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Leon,

I use an 8ft DaLite DaMatt (I think) fixed screen that has no gain. I bought it from direkt2u.co.uk.

I think an important factor in deciding whether to use a screen with gain (which tends to be more directional) is the amount of control over ambient light that you have in your viewing room. The more control you have, the less gain you need.

The Sony gives a plenty bright enough picture.

While there is plenty of comment on black levels on the Sony (and other LCD projectors), nobody seems to comment on how it deals with bright pictures, which in my opinion is fantastic - just my tuppence...

6. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    thx for the help so far... thought there might be a few more sony 10ht owners out their ..im swaying towards the da-lite electro cosmopolitan hdtv found it for £1825.00 looks good might be a bit more money if i want it to work with my pronto :(
    thx

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We recently installed a system for a customer based on the Sony; we used an 72" wide 16:9 electric Vutec screen. Have had Stewart screens in previous installations, but saw the Vutec at Cedia this year and was very impressed. If you need to automate it's operation, the importers - Marata do a very good IR/RS232/contact closure/voltage sensing (!) trigger. - both the screen and controller were also much less than previous devices we've had from Stewart.

8. OldEngland

OldEngland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a peach painted wall (the wall was already there when I bought the projector!!!) so that I can get an idea of how large an image I can get away with before I buy a screen.

But I'm in no rush cos I'm more than happy with the results so far (going from 28 inches to 9 feet makes me dizzy.)

9. sheggsl

sheggsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I use a Dalite Cosmopolitan Electrol, which admittedly looks nice, however I have done some comparison with shooting the image onto the background cream coloured wall and the screen, and to be honest there really isn't that much of a difference. I would definitely have got a much better return on my £1,800 investment on the screen, if I had spent the money on getting a better video source to feed the 10HT.

I personally think the screens issue is of more importance for CRT projectors than LCD. Howvever if you are gooing to go for a screen, go for a good quality one like Dalite, Stewart or Vutec.

10. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    thx for all the help guys .

11. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Leon,

I have just ordered a da-lite da-mat high contrast grey screen for my new Sony! The info seems to suggest that there is a roughly equal split between this screen and the stewart grayhawk although other screens are also favoured. The good thing about these two is that they improve the perceived black levels and as we all know, this is one of the flaws of the Sony. The thing that made me choose the da-lite over Stewart was the price! Oh, sorry, and also the fact that I couldhave a six inch wider screen due to the larger space taken up by the frame on the Stewart. I have ordered my screen from Walter at Direkt2u and they take 2/3 weeks to arrive from the Yanks. Good luck and Happy hunting.

12. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    that sounds great span, i bet you cant wait to get the sony togehter with the screen ,have you a url for the screen ,i.e a link to the screen material page ,.grey screen that is ,i hope that mad sence ,,hehe
    i have just sold my sony vpl400 arfter 3 years of trusty service i have no problems with buying a sony again ,and a grey screen does make sence, :)
    thx for the info me plz keep updating about the price and how long it takes to get to you ,