1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 1080 no component vid switching :(

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JSW, Sep 3, 2002.

Tags:
  1. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    As Superfi's site claimed it had I rang my local Superfi to see if they had stock of the 1080, They had 1 so I asked if it had component video switching as there website claims it does.
    The reply I got was yes if thats what it says on our site it does!

So I just got home with it after they had to price match there website cause instore its £499 !!! and it dont bloody well have component video switching :(

Apart from dpl2 that was one of the main factors in upgrading from my 1070.

What to do know ??? keep the 1080 or is there something else with 2 multichannel inputs (i require both) and component vid switching ?????

Cheers
    Bry

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I recently bought a Denon tuner and cassette player from Superfi as their web site listed them both as having infra red remote control capability.

When I received them it appeared that the remote control capability was obtained by hard wiring them to a Denon stereo amp. Many of the other facilities were also useless unless I also purchased the matching amp.

They suggested that I could return the goods for refund as long as they were still as new, unmarked and in original boxes.

3. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Tks Ian

Dont think I will bother to return it though if there is nothing else to replace it with.

My 1070 is sold and being picked up on Saturday and I dont want to be without one.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone please explain to me what this "component video switching" is?

Component as in the switching-of-all-three-video-"component"s...

if you see what I mean ;)

Thanks,

-TF

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Component video is a type of signal like RGB or S-video and some amps have component video inputs and outputs as well as the more common s-video and composite to allow you to connect more than one source to the amp.

When you switch the amp to (say) dvd, it switches both the sound and picture to to the correct source

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is component video "recognised" by three cables then (carrying different "components" of the signal)?

-TF

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Component is like RGB a, well, component signal. But the term "Component" itself usually refers to YUV aka YPrPb or YCrCb. There are indeed three cables/connectors marked with red, green and blue color.
    Do not confuse this with RGB as they are not compatible to each other.

JSW, I think some of the Denon amps (upper range) fullfil your requirements, dont' they?

8. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300

Hi Reiner,

Not sure about the Denon's but I dont think 3802 or below has 2 multichannel inputs, Also isnt the 3803 due out soon?

I can live without component switching for a while but I need the 2 multichannel inputs as one is for DVD A and the other for SACD.

Looks like I will have to keep the 1080 for a few months then make another upgrade :(

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not sure about the Denon's but I dont think 3802 or below has 2 multichannel inputs, ...

That's why I said "(upper range)" ...

... isnt the 3803 due out soon?

Next year only me thinks ...

10. GermanMan

GermanMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component Video, as already mentioned, is a new form of video transimission similar to composite or s-video. The video signal is on 3 separate wires and as far as I know its not a composite color signal (so its not PAL or NTSC - correct me if I have this wrong - though its still likely going to be 25fps or 29.97 fps).

In any case, a switching unit usually has 2 component video inputs (of 3 connectors each) and one out.

The uses:
    The component video out goes to your component-video-in capable display such as your newer TVs or digital or HDTV displays (now or in the future), or projectors.

The inputs - one comes from your DVD player and the other, probably for an HDTV/DTV tuner of the future.

Not too much use now, but its worth its weight if you plan on spending serious change on a reciever/processor now that you want to keep for a decade or more and end up IN the DTV/HDTV era with it.