Sony 1080 impressions

P

paiger

Had a bit of a play now and I must say I'm impressed with it. Sound on all formats is as good, if not better than my old 940 and I'm very happy with some of the improvements.

Firstly, the remote is fantastic. It's fully learning and has TV and DVD controls on the front. Means I can put away my DVD remote completely. The old remote was fiddly and slow. It could do most stuff in theory but never came easily. This new one is super fast and replaces all my others except the Sky one. Cool.

The assignable inputs is good too. DPL2 is awesome. Just watched Henry V on VHS and it really was impressive. Don't much like DPL2 Music but I'm fussy anyway.

One thing I don't like is the infinate volume control. Preffered the fixed dial of the 940 but I'll get used to it.

On the whole, very pleased with my upgrade. I would recommend, especially for that great remote.

Steve

Fully learning? Guess you have a different remote than mine then... Although going by the pictures of the remote posted on this board earlier today I think that the UK model is the same as the European and not a learning remote.
Would think of selling my Pronto if it was, I like it a lot too...

CJ

Originally posted by ceejay
Fully learning? Guess you have a different remote than mine then... Although going by the pictures of the remote posted on this board earlier today I think that the UK model is the same as the European and not a learning remote.
Would think of selling my Pronto if it was, I like it a lot too...

CJ

I bet Sony charge an arm an a leg for the decent learning remote. I'm not happy with the European spec remote at all. It's an improvement over the one I had with the 925 but only just.

I have an e-Pilot on order from Maplin, although they're out of stock until October :-( Means I have to juggle Amp,Sky,PJ,DVD,CD,MD & TV remotes until then (although I guess the 1080 remote should control my Sony CD + MD decks) :(

The manual for the remote is not clear, because it implies that the remote can be programmes for currently unsupported devices. I'll dig it out tonight and post the text verbatim

And I'm still peeved about lack of 2nd room support on EU models!

Finally, what does "Tuned for UK ears" actually mean!?

Originally posted by ceejay
Fully learning? Guess you have a different remote than mine then... CJ

I've just recieved my new STR-DB1080QS (European model). The remote is a RM-L211. I've been reading through the manual several times, and it is (to my knowledge) not indicated anywhere, how to make this remote learn the IR-signals of an unsupported remote.

Either the manual is not very good - or the remote is not truely a learning remote. :confused:

The remote delievered with my reciever is faulty. Display/setup is working on the remote, but it is unable to send any IR-signals/communicate with the reciever/TV/DVD, etc..... damn. :(

Anyone else having trouble with faulty RM-L211's ?

Kenn
Denmark

Originally posted by kennrc

I've just recieved my new STR-DB1080QS (European model). The remote is a RM-L211. I've been reading through the manual several times, and it is (to my knowledge) not indicated anywhere, how to make this remote learn the IR-signals of an unsupported remote.

You're right - it says that the remote "can be programmed
to control Sony devices not normally controllable by the remote
control" - which suggested to me that you might be able
to teach it :)

Either the manual is not very good - or the remote is not truely a learning remote. :confused:

I think BOTH are true!

The remote delievered with my reciever is faulty. Display/setup is working on the remote, but it is unable to send any IR-signals/communicate with the reciever/TV/DVD, etc..... damn. :(

On the remote, press RM-SETUP, choose COMMAND, then select the 1st option (I forget what it is called) and then
select AV-COMMAND 2 (or something similar, it's the one
ending with 2)

I thought my remote was faulty as well!

Steve.

Originally posted by pompeysteve

On the remote, press RM-SETUP, choose COMMAND, then select the 1st option (I forget what it is called) and then
select AV-COMMAND 2 (or something similar, it's the one
ending with 2)

I thought my remote was faulty as well!

As suggested in the manual, I'be already tried switching command-modes. No effect.

Also the remote is unable to control the TV, DVD, VCR, etc. Conclusion: The remote is unable to transmit ANY IR-signals.

Just called my retailer. It'll take at least 4 weeks to get a new one. :mad:

Sony sure does make som fine A/V equipment, but sadly also excel in lousy customer-support. :(

SOunds like a duff one. Shame. I may have been a bit over kind when I said 'fully learning' but it does say it's learning. I have a Sony 760 Sky digi box and it won't control that on any of the sony sat options. Bit of a bummer. Anyone know how to tell it to do this.

Auto off is good if you have a lot od Sony stuff, set macro 1 to do it and it just shuts everything down in one go.

S

Originally posted by pompeysteve
Finally, what does "Tuned for UK ears" actually mean!?

It is Sony's way of keeping track of unit designed for the UK market. Only genuine UK models will have the Red badge on them. Therefore, when the 1080 is eventually available in Richer Sounds, the Red badge will be missing (as they source their stock from EU).

The consequence of this, is that authorised high street retailers (like Superfi) will NOT price match Richer Sounds as the products are identical. This happened when I tried to buy a Sony 940 MiniDisc from Superfi and Richers were doing it cheeper....

Whether the products actually sound different, I don't know. What HiFi say that they are tuned slightly as UK listeners prefer a different sound. I used to have a Sony 930 MiniDisc (with the red UK Special Edition badge) and I couldn't hear the difference from a non-UK model.

Cheers

Phil

No, I havn't even tried that. I have a Pronto and a TiVo which both change Sky.... Also, I have Sky+ which uses different IR codes to a normal Sky box, so any of my efforts would be useless to many people.

Cheers

Phil

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom