1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 1080 & Elac Cinema 1?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pingtuk, Feb 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to these forums and I am a bit of a newbie. I need to help on deciding whether to get to the Sony 1080 receiver & the Elac Cinema 1 sub/sats or not.

I've decided that my current sound system the Videologic Digitheatre is not good enough to suit my needs. That and the fact they keep on powering off after a few hours of use. I've already had them replaced and they do the exact same thing. Not sure what the problem is there but anyway my budget is around £700-800 which is why i think the Sony & Elac is a nice combination at a good price.

My current setup is this :

Videologic Digitheatre DTS
    Sony 24" Widescreen TV
    Sony 725D DVD player
    Aiwa VCR
    Playstation 2
    Gamecube
    Nokia Mediamaster 221T Digital Reciever

The Videologic lacks too few inputs and I intend to use the s-video inputs in the Sony 1080 too. So here are my questions :

What is the s-video quality and the switching like on the Sony 1080? (as i intend to use them for the PS2 and Gamecube)
    So just how good is the Sony 1080?
    Are there any other good receivers in this price range?
    And do the Elac Cinema 1 accompany the Sony 1080 well?
    How about other sub/sats in the same price range? Ones with small sats for easier placement?

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Also worth considering are the Tannoy FX 5.1 sub/sat package ... this is meant to be good for the money (£350 from www.HiFiBitz.co.uk)

3. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Why don't you use an optical lead to connect the games machines to th 1080.

I went for the 1080 after a demo of it against the Yamaha 630. The Yamaha seemd to have more going on at the rears whilst the Sony 1080 had much better clarity up front. ALso the 1080 worked better at lower volumes which suits me best. The 1080 has better conectivity (in my opinion) and is better for movies (which is what I'll use it for most). It also won a what hi fi supertest of 6.1 receivers this month.

Can't say anything about your speaker package as I use the Kef eggs.

4. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input guys. I intend to use the digital optical inputs for my playstation 2 and DVD player and the digital coaxial for my Digi box.
    Bogsides view on the 1080 is encouraging and i think i'll be using it in lower volumes quite a lot too. I read that review in what hi fi mag which is why i was drawn to the sony 1080 in the first place. Before i was thinking about Denon 1803 and the Yamaha 630.

As for the speakers i've heard the kef eggs been mentioned quite alot but they seem to be quite a bit out of my price range. £800 odd? The Tannoys look not bad too.

Anyone else out there with opinions? Theres just much to choose from!

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Another option, 2pairs KEF Cresta 1 (£40 ea from Richer Sounds), KEF Cresta Centre (£100) plus a Paradigm PDR10 sub (£175) ... total is a little more than the Tannoy or Elac package (£450 with cables and stands and bits) ... but probably sound a lot better.

Victoria

6. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounddog, thats an interesting setup but style wise i think i prefer the elacs.

Keep the views coming people. :)

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Well ... to be honest ... at the sort of money you're looking at paying ... you're going to have to compromise on either looks (the Crestas or similar) or sound quality (the Tannoy / Elac). It's just upto you which you're willing to compromise on more ...

8. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do those Crestas really sound that much better than elacs/tannoys?
    Is there anyone else out there who have tried Crestas before? Can seem to find out much info on those Kef Crestas in any of my hi fi mags, must be quite old speakers.

Also i was just wondering what speakers you use, sounddog?

9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I've got B&W 602s2 fronts, 601s2 rears (3) and LCR60 centre

I've never compaired the Elac or Tannoy to anything sorry.

The Crestas were replaced around 6mnths ago I think (with the "new" Cresta range) but were well reguarded for their price ... most AV/HiFi mags will have removed them from their listing as they are no longer a current model.

As for their looks ... they did them in a pale wood colour as well as the normal black.

10. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your setup must have cost a bit then eh?
    I still fancy the all in one elacs though since what hi fi gave it top marks.

Come on people! Can't let sounddog do all the work here!
    More opinions please!

11. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditch the elacs idea and go for the Kef KHT2005 package, if you go to http://www.priceguideuk.com and type their model number into the search bar & select the relevant option from the scroll bar you'll find that they're available from the net for a bargain £635. They'd easily outperform the elacs.

12. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Kef Eggs keep on getting mentioned but sadly my budget doesn't stretch that far.
    There must be somebody out there who likes the elac cinema 1?!

13. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like them - but there's so much better performance available for just a little but more money. I'd save up until my budget did stretch to the Kefs I'm afraid.

14. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd love to get the kef eggs but i'm just above over budget with the sony 1080 & Elac cinema 1 already.
    With the elacs going for only £323, the eggs are almost double that price. Its only a small room i'll be using the speakers for anyway so super speakers aren't that necessary (I'll get super speakers in the future when i've got more money).

btw does anyone know what the difference between a UK sound tuned sony 1080 and a non UK tuned one?

15. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Well first I would say ... forget the KEF Eggs ... the B&W VM1s are nicer ... but it's completely irrelevant as THEY ARE BOTH OVER THE ORIGINAL POSTERS BUDGET BY A LONG WAY!

Anyway ... back to the difference between the Crestas and the Elacs (or similar) ... both types of package have their advantages and disadvantages ... which is the compromise you are willing to make the most is upto you.

I've just looked ... and certainly Sevenoaks have the Elac package listed, and at a very similar package also the Mission Cinema 72 package - which will give you an idea of how this sort of package (similar to the Crestas) sound compared to Elac sub/sat - for the same price. Why not contact them and arrange a demo of the two side by side. They also have several different AV Recievers which will fit into your budget - Yamaha AX-V630, Marantz SR4300, Denon 1803, Pioneer VSXD811, etc (they don't have the Sony 1080 but I think when I was in the Leicester branch recently they had a 1080 in the window) - and I'm sure they would be able to help you find one to suit you best.

We can give you sugestions and advise for days ... but only when you go and listen can you decide which you are prepared to listen to and live with day after day for several years.

Oh and yes ... over the years I have spent quite a bit on Home Cinema ... but I started off a few years ago with a Sherwood AV Amp, cheep floorstanding speakers, Paradigm Centre and cheep small Wharfedale rears - when I started out there weren't even sub/sat packages like the Elac avaliable - and then over the years I've upgraded the amp, then the speakers, then the amp again and I don't doubt that I'll upgrade again in the not too distant future.

Victoria

16. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Richer Sounds are selling the M72 speaker package for 250 pounds

You would then have to buy cables, speaker stands and probably a sub-woofer to complete the package though which could be quite expensive

17. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I wasn't necessarily recomending buying the Mission Cinema 72 package over the Cresta or any other stand mount speakers ... was just giving a specific example of a comparison pingtuk could go and demo ... and Sevenoaks have both the Mission Cinema 72 AND the Elac packages listed (and both at £400 for reference). My point was that deciding between the two routes (lifestyle sub/sat and small "HiFi" speakers/sub) could only really be done by the person buying and after actually seeing / listening to both options - no amount of "Yes but x,y,z is better" posts here will really help him. I've advised people in the past to look at KEF eggs (and YES I know Eggs are too expensive for the budget) because they suited their needs ... but I was just urging pingtuk to consider the alternatives that are avaliable for the same price as the Elac he originally was asking about.

Oh ... and I'm sure they can both be purchased else where cheeper but Sevenoaks list both and are a nationwide chain hence suggesting them. It wasn't a personal recomendation to use Sevenoaks over any other HiFi shop as I've never used them so can't really comment.

Additional bits needed if going for "non-packaged" lifestyle sub/sat system (i.e. KEF Cresta + Paradigm PDR10) ...
    2 stands for front - Gale S50 £29.95
    2 stands for rears (or sit on shelf or similar behind) - Gale S70 £39.95 (slightly higher than front stands)
    3m (x2) cable for front speakers - Gale XL105 x6m £4.14
    10m (x2) cable for rear speakers - Gale XL105 x20m £13.80
    2m cable for centre speaker - Gale XL105 x2m £1.38
    Sub woofer interconnect - Cambridge Audio Atlantic 5m Single - £12.95

plus obviously your speakers ... so ...
    Front + Rear - KEF Cresta 1 (2 pair) £79.90 (or £99.90 for cherry finish)
    Centre - KEF Cresta Centre £49.95 (£59.95 cherry)
    Sub - Paradigm PDR10 £175.95

So for a total package (speakers + stands + cables) would be £407.97 (a little more than the cost of Elac Cinema 1 but with good quality accessories)

Victoria

Edit ... sorry I can't add up ... or more Windows Calculator can't add up!! Total price is correct now.

18. fluffrick

fluffrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    At the risk of just reiterating what has already been stated here, I heartily recommend the Kef Cresta speakers if you are on a tight budget and have to consider your neighbours.

I run my speakers through a slightly ageing, pre-6.1 Sony receiver and have only good things to say about them. I don't really listen to stereo music through them, as I bought my kit purely to enjoy DVD 5.1 soundtracks and I'm not really well-versed in serious music appreciation to claim to be anything like an audiophile.

On looks, the Crestas won't win any aesthetic awards, and my wife is of the opinion that the old Cresta Centre is just too damn big, but they compensate for a lack of visual sheen in the audio stakes.

The Crestas are solid and unpretentious, do their job really well, and are a good first step into the home cinema world. I'm thinking about upgrading one day, sure, but for now they offer me a snapshot at home of the experience that I have at the cinema. Try to check them out.

19. MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm just going through the same dilema and, having listened to the Mission FS1, Tannoy FX5.1 and Elac Cinema 1, came to the conclusion that they just don't quite do it when it comes to music.

Having said that, IMO, the Elac's were streets ahead of the others and sounded great on movies.

The shop whacked on a couple of Alpha Infinity speakers on the front and let me listen 'back to back' with the Missions. It was at this point that the reason for the nagging doubts emerged. There was just so much more detail and 'fullness' of sound. I rather enjoy my music and could never live with such a sacrifice!

So, as has already been said, for a similar price to the Elac's you can get a better sounding set-up but it doesn't look as good. Take your pick!

By the way, the best price I've seen for the Elac's is proaudiosystems (£323, I think)

20. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the feedback people. It seems like i will have to go to a hi fi store (maybe sevenoaks or richersounds as they are both in Glasgow) and listen for myself.

Those mission and crestas both look like they need stands which my small room can't really accomodate, which is why i'm still very much interested in the elacs because of the small sats. Right now one my sats is on top of my PC and the other on top of stacked PS2 games! So not much room to work around! The elacs come with wall mounts which i may use.

I'm pretty dead set for the sony 1080 but maybe i should just get that and a decent subwoofer and use my current sats until i have enough money for decent sats. Such as the kef eggs?
    Does anyone know how the KEF PSW2000 and the ELAC - SUB 101 ESP subwoofers compare?
    and also are the kef eggs wall mountable?

21. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I think you can get wall brackets for the KEF Eggs yes ... something worth considering is that you can also get wall brackets for small stand mount type speakers ... not the most benificial way to have them in your room but it works.

Victoria

22. saint_simon

saint_simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: you can get the mission fs1 system in BENTALLS DEPARTMENT STORE IN EITHER KINGSTON OR BRACKNELL FOR AN AMAZING £299 instead of £450 rrp. Be Quick :clap:

23. pingtuk

pingtuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks but i've already ordered my Elac cinema 1 plus i don't even know where Bracknell or Kingston is.