1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony 1080. again. sorry.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cuthbertson74, Sep 18, 2002.

Tags:
  1. cuthbertson74

cuthbertson74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I will finally be purchasing one of these after work today, and was wondering if there was anything I need to know first eg what cables it is supplied with, suggested alternatives etc, but mostly just affirmation that I will be having copious amounts of fun this evening setting it up :)

Iain

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    No cables are supplied unfortunately so you'll need to spend a bit on some decent "analogue" interconnects and, and also a digital lead (either optical or coaxial) to connect your DVD to the amp.

As for how much to spend - it's entirely up to you. I spent £25 on an IXOS digital coax lead, and £20 on each interconnect. The natural inclination is that more £££'s is better but having heard a friends interconnects on my system which were £45 each, my opinion is that it's not worth it - get some half decent one's and I'm sure you'll be happy :)

Hope this helps - I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun listening tonight - any other problems let us know :)

Kelvin. :D

3. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi duklaprague

I bought an STR-DB1080 a few weeks ago and it did'nt come with any cables. So you'll need all the cables depending on what your running.

4. cuthbertson74

cuthbertson74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thought that would be the case. all I really need initially is a decent digital coax cable.

also, there has been some debate here re: the learning ability of the supplied remote.

my tv, dvd, cd and md player are all Sony - will the AV remote be able to operate these? is there a *change function* switch/button on the remote?

cheers,
    Iain

5. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi duklaprague

E-mails from Sony indicate that the remote is not what most people understand as a learning remote.

The remote will not learn from IR sources and therefore if it's not listed it won't work.

Sony call it a learning remote because you can program macro's

If all your kit is Sony you should be Ok, although I've heard that it won't control Sony SKY box's.

The remote has a funtion key and you can swap source.

As for switching picture, If you pass the picture through the AMP then you should be Ok,

I hav'nt as I dont swap around much,

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Just use an ordinary phono cable to get you functional. ;)

7. cuthbertson74

cuthbertson74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    well finally picked it up yesterday - blimey it all looks a bit complicated! am still waiting on the pascal 835 speakers, so won't have a good play setting up properly until they arrive I guess (unless any pointers in fancy settings to get the best from just the 2 front speakers).

I do have a problem with my digital coax cable - its an IXOS one with a screw over each end which you use to tighten the connection. Trouble is, I can't get them into the sockets (the end is slightly tapered inwards making it seem slightly too small) If I unscrew the tightening bit and take it off, they go in OK, but with them on they just don't want to go. It may be you just have to really push them harder, or there is a knack.....

Hope someone can figure out what I mean!

Cheers,
    Iain

8. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could I ask how many 835's have you got?

I,m using the 702 (which were replaced by the 835/815) which is 5.1.

So I'm missing a speaker for the sixth channel, and I presume so are you?

I'm not sure whether to hunt around for a matching one or just get a better front centre.

What do you think?

9. cuthbertson74

cuthbertson74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi,

just the 5. funds are strecthing to bursting point as it is! also, as the sofa is by the window (with the tv on the opposite wall) a rear centre would be tricky to fit in. (although maybe a few months down the line I'll reconsider....).

Iain

10. Biggles

Biggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That’s where I'm at now.

Our sofa is almost against the wall but I believe I can fit a speaker on the floor behind it.

Not perfect but then I live in a normal house.

I don't think I'll ever be able to set up a 7.1, even if I move to a bigger house the idea of children running round and using the speakers as goal posts kills that idea.

My problem with the 702 is that I agree with a lot of the threads, saying that they’re a little harsh and clinical and I’m limited to “small” speakers (wife!). I want to soften the sound, I don’t know whether to save up and but some KEF eggs, or replace the front speaker with the Sony 300 / 5’s?

I know I should try and demo them (which I will) but I don’t think shops give a true idea as to how they’ll sound

11. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I also was confused by the Ixos cable - I loosend the screw cover on the cable about half way, pushed it on (not to firmly, it will slide on easily), then finger-tightened it up again and it grips the amp socket securely.

12. cuthbertson74

cuthbertson74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thank you - flash of light moment and all that.

in my haste, it just seemed natural to screw the cover AWAY from the socket, but of course thats where the connector is widest, hence tightest, therefore needs to go the other way to loosen it.

gotcha! cheers,
    Iain