1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 1070

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SonyDVDMaster, Jul 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. SonyDVDMaster

SonyDVDMaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'd just like to ask the question why does everyone put down this amp/receiver, ive got one and i think its fantastic. And why do you think its ugly? in my opinion the 930 was ugly. what does an amp have to have for you to think it looks good. the 1070 is brushed aluminium, and is laid out well. And under powered when watching a DVD or listening to music i don't get it much above half volume so how is this under powered? i just thought i'd ask.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I used to have one and didn't think much of it's abilities in stereo so sold it and bought a Marantz which was much better.

I think that the decoding abilities of the Marantz was also much better.

I never found anything wrong with it's looks but the Marantz that I replaced it with could hardly be called stylish.

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    For £300 i also think it's fantastic.It's only potential shortcoming is the lack of DPL11, which i can live without.I think it boils down to the fact that some people just dont warm to the sound of Sony amplification.

4. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think people took the review in the HCC magazine as a bad sign, funny cause everyone thought it was good until then. Im happy with mine. I have 2!

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One review measured a mere 35W per channel with all 6 driven. Underpowered may simply mean 'under-powertransformered' and hence that the specs are very optimistic.

As for looks, the STR-DB930 has that nice, clean front with most things hidden. The 1070 is gawdy by comparison, IMO.

Isn't the fascia (or part thereof) now cunningly-concealed plastic too ?

Mike.

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Taken from a reveiw by HCC perchance?
    Where is all this plastic anway?

7. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I buy all my dvds with it.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Someone has been buying theirs with mine this month. Anyone wish to own up to using my credit card at streetsonline

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    :eek: :blush: :D

10. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no I only used it at cd-wow play and future ent. try the guy I gave it to-he was going into richer sounds, stuart white or something like that:D

11. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Having gone through the routine of testing out many amps from the likes of Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Sony et al before buying my 1070 I can honestly say thet I went for it because to me, it sounded the better of the bunch. and it suited what I wanted to use it for. I have no need for DPLII - a feature which many seem to slate this amp for not having, it's power output will suffice for anything I'm prepared to throw at it (never got it above -33db yet!!), and as far as I'm concerned it's one of the best looking amps on the market (not number 1 on my list of priorities before buying in case some people accuse me of buying it on looks alone!! ;))

If you're happy with your purchase does it really matter what anybody else's opinion of it is??!!! - Just enjoy it :p

Kelvin :D