Sony 1070 question

teddstarr

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just a small question!
When i turn on my 1070 amp and watch sky(Sony 760u digibox with digital optic connection) i get this message on the display:

UNLOCK

followed by:

PCM(48MHz)

this also happens when i change channels on the digibox.can anyone tell me what this means and if i am doing anything wrong.Every thing looks and sounds OK though?:confused:

cheers all

teddstarr

I'm not 100% sure as I didn't have an optical output on my digibox but it probably means that you are not receiving Dolby Digital but PCM stereo which will be decoded as Pro Logic by the 1070.

Whilst some digiboxes are fitted with digital connections they will not decode 5.1 unless you subscribe to Sky + where some of the film channels are broadcast in 5.1

If you have your amp set to AFD on this input then it should say PCM48. It's just telling you what type of signal it's detected, in this case standard stereo. Ian is right, you won't get DD or DTS from it as the box is not capable of outputting it. I don't know what the Unlock bit is about unless that's something unique to the 1070. Anyway, rest assured you are getting the best signal that the box is capable of.

S

Beg your pardon, you don't need to have your amp on AFD to see PCM(48). You can select a soundfield depending on what you are watching. I use one of the surround modes for TV and 2 channel for radio.

S

the unlock message is just the amp locking onto the digital signal.

it can apply to anything on the Sonys... nothing to do with 5.1/pcm.. can also come up with minidiscs, CDs.

my old amp used to do the same thing with DVDs if you tried to record the output of them digitally..

could just be a side-effect of the Sony digibox as it switches channels?

Thanks for your answers fellas,just wanted to make sure i was not doing anything wrong

Cheers

Teddstarr:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom