Sony 1070 & 1080 Which one?

C

CarlosTheJackel

Having been on the Sony website they appear to have listed the 1070 above the 1080 in their quality scale thing! I cannot find the difference in the 2. I thought the 1080 was the replacement for the 1070! Help!

The 1080 adds more processing. It has DPLII, DDex, DTS ES DTS Neo: 6 (similar to DPLII). It also has more memory and a faster processing speed to reduce distortion.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother about the little scale thing, it's naff. I reckon the 1070 was second from the top at the time (under 555). Now the 1080 has the 333 and the 555 above it so has a lower position on the scale. They have neglected to move the 1070 down is all.

The 1080 has everything the 1070 has and crucially, DPL2. It's also sonically superior to my old 940, never heard a 1070.

Get the 1080.

Steve

Cheers I was about to order a 1080 anyway until I went on the Sony site:D

For the money the 1080 is much better then the 1070.

I owned both at one point or another and the 1070 was NO better then the 940 in some cases worse however the 1080 is a much more refiened beast for the fairly low price tag.

I am looking at the same dilemma here - thing is the 1070 can be had for £250 new+boxed :)

The 1080 is approx £360 - is it really worth the extra?

Originally posted by Slime101
I am looking at the same dilemma here - thing is the 1070 can be had for £250 new+boxed :)

The 1080 is approx £360

Pay the extra, the 1070 is a poor amp @ £250 IMHO. The 1070 is also no longer made so it's stock clearing.

There are some very good amps in the £300-400 bracket so consider Yamaha, Denon and Marantz as well as the Sony.

but is DPL2 really worth the £110 extra?

or is the 780 a good option?

I went to the sony centre for a demo and got patronised, i presume they think i am wasting time! :rolleyes: (admitedly i'm not gonna pay the sony £499 asking price when its £370 else where!!)

Also they never have the kit i am interested in to demo - I waited 45mins for them to set up the 1080 in southampton yesterday and didnt get to hear it - and my local one doesnt have them in stock so no demo's there!

So its a playoff between the:

780 @ £240ish

1070 @ £250

1080 @ £370 (bit pricey for me but looks fab with all the bells and whistles)

I am mostly gonna use it for playing CD's and listening to the radio until i have a decent surround setup (5.1/6.1) finished which could be upto 6 months away but want the capability of it all there to start with.

Bah - i dont know! :confused:

I swear Sony centres only exist to make you feel guilty for going in for a demo. It like they have much better things to do then sell goods ;).

Out of you requirements I think the 780 should be on your list along with the 1080, Marantz SR5300 (Same price as 1080) or 5200 (Cheaper as it's coming end of line). Both of the Marantz amps have better then class CD playback however the Sony x80's are fairly decent with the right speakers. The 1070 is a real dog for CD audio.

All of the receivers you mention have decent RDS tuners so Radio is not a problem and feature all the 'bells and whistles' sound modes.

You may also want to consider Harman/Kardon receivers (A personal favourite of mine) however finding a demo could be a bit of a chore.

No AV receiver is going to sound as good as a similar 2 channel amp however there are some reasonable compromises listed above (as always IMHO) :D.

If it's CD replay you are after then go for the 1080 (or the 780, never heard it). In my opinion DPL2 is worth £110 but that's for me, for you it might not be.

The audio DAC's in the 1080 are a big step up from previous models with much less distortion and a more open, fresher sound.

Don't get the 1070 for CD's, especially if you are using the digital output of the CD player.

S

Hi-

Am also considering the Sony 1080, which will be used solely for home cinema. Is it any good? Can't seem to find any reviews, although there are plenty out there for the 1070.

The 1070 doesn't seem to have component video support - is the 1080 the same, and if so will I have a problem as I have just laid the video cables for the projector under the plaster in the cinema room I'm building!!

Also considering the Marantz 5300, which is a fairly similar price - can anyone give me a comparison betwwen the two?

Cheers:confused:

The best idea would be to use the search function for these models. You'll get a list of all comments made about them and can make your choice that way.

Thanks for that - fairly obvious but I'd not done it!

Now even more confused :confused: it generally seems to be liked, but there is a feeling is that it suffers from the usual "Sony Sound" ie bright and lacking warmth. Guess I'll have to go into Practical HiFi sometime this week and have a listen to them.

Cheapest place I've seen it is HiFiBitz for £383 incl everything - has anyone seen it cheaper? (Techtronics do it for £329 but when you get to the checkout it's plus VAT!)

Hmmm.

It's a great HC amp for the money. Don't listen to the anti-Sony brigade, most have never even heard it. Listen for yourself. Marantz are great amps and you may prefer it's warmer sound to the Sony's bright, open sound. They will also tell you to buy the Denon 1803 but I have demoed both and the Sony killed it IMHO.

Maybe the Sony's weakness is in 2 channel music replay compared to the Marantz but I bet you'll love it in DD/DTS etc.

Steve

Would be interested to know why people regard the 1070 as a "poor" amp.

I own one and have no problem with the way it performs.

Originally posted by JRHAY72

I own one and have no problem with the way it performs.

Peeps have been putting me off it but the reviews always read well and i would like to know what you think about its performance bith in 5.1/6.1 mode and for stereo CD playing :)

Do a search for "1070" and you'll find loads of threads on people's opinions/likes/dislikes etc.

Personally... I'm a very happy 1070 owner :) - My setup is mainly for HC though as opposed to a music one :)

Kelvin

As far as I am aware, the 1070 has some kind of problem with CD sound quality when using it's internal DACs. My old 940 always sounded much better using the CD players DACs and going analogue into the amp. Now, with my 1080 I find a marked improvement when using a digital cable and using the amps DACs. I can only assume that the DACs in the 1070 were similar to the 940 ones and have been upgraded in the 1080 (as Sony claim).

By the way, both 940 and 1080 are fantastic for DD/DTS. Not a lot to choose between them so I assume the 1070 is equally good in that department.

S

Originally posted by Slime101
...would like to know what you think about its performance bith in 5.1/6.1 mode and for stereo CD playing :)

Have not made use of the analogue 5.1/6.1 inputs as the only component I have that could use them is my DVD player which is connected via the digital coaxial input (which sounds great by the way!). But I am planning on connecting my PC to the amp using the 5.1 analogue inputs (if the required cables ever get here!).

As for CD playback - no problems as far as I am concerned, though will concede that have not heard either the 940 or 1080 in action so - who knows?

But at the end of the day, am very happy with the way my 1070 performs.:)

The 1070 is a fine machine (within it's price band).It performs well on DD/DTS and tbh i don't have any issues about it's cd replay useing anologue connections. :)

Let me make it clear that I have never heard a 1070 in action and am only repeating other opinions I have heard. I don't want to offend any 1070 owners. My point is that the 1080 is a clear step up from the 940 for digital source replay (I loved my 940 at the time). I don't know if the 1070 is the equal of the 940 or the 1080, only someone who has heard all 3 could say that.

To be honest, my 940 was great sounding and I only upgraded because of DPL2. I don't think I would bother for the increase in sound quality, I'd just use a better source via analogue inputs (which is what I did!).

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom