Sony 1060 vs Yamaha 679 vs Pioneer 930 - Advice Please

stevieboy1167

Novice Member
Many moons ago I bought a Sony Str DB930 Receiver to run with a Bose 5.1 system

The Bose is long gone, replaced by a B&W MT30 set up and the Sony is still going strong. I'm using a PS3, Freesat HD, TVIX Media player all through an Optima 1080p Projector

Unfortunately I'm fed up with no HDMI etc etc so time for a receiver change. I'm looking at £400 max and want to keep running the B&W's - my question is, what should I go for?

The Sony 1060, Yamaha 679 and the Pioneer 930 are all in the price range at the minute - I doubt that I'll be able to demo them with my speakers so I'm looking for guidance - Any thoughts on these three?

All replies gratefully received

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I had the same decision a few weeks ago and went with the Sony 1060. It's for the bedroom so not interested in Atmos etc... and I don't regret the decision. Even if I'm still waiting for the £75 Qobuz voucher!

A few years back I had the predecessor 1030 model but things have moved on. Wifi works, interface is in a different league and no HDMI switching problems. Sounds great with a Focal Dome surround set and could do better speakers justice.

dvdphile

Prominent Member
I'm in the same boat! Except you can throw the Denon 2200 into the mix as that can be had for 379 now. I was leaning towards the Yamaha but the others have some benefits.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung & LG UK TV Prices 2023; Amazon Fire TV Cube; Calibration Tools of the Trade + AV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom