Sony 1040 and Sony TV distortion problem.

Cahardimge

Established Member
Reaction score
Every time I turn on my Sony TV, used with Sony 1040 and usually Sky box, the TV has distortion on the right hand third, just a sort of ghosting, and also about 3 faint horizontal lines. This always corrects itself after a few minutes. I have a suspicion it may be to do with an HDMI, it has corrected when I have fiddled with HDMI lead! but not always. Now, I just wait for it to correct itself.
This isn't the end of the world, but if anybody could throw any light on it, I'd be grateful.

Thanks. Should have said in OP that I have done that. Started with an old Pure lead and replaced it with a Bluerigger one. No obvious difference.

Have you tried a different hdmi port? There is a known issue with display issues with this av amp, not sure if it is this problem exactly. I have just bought a 1040 from RS for a steal at £250 plus 5 year warrenty.

I have had no problems with the display from any of the HDMI inputs, maybe its down to a badly connecting HDMI socket, or even a faulty unit.

Have you tried connecting the STB directly to the TV to check whether the receiver is actually the cause? If the issue isn't present in conjunction with a direct connection then the issue is more than likely due to a fault with the receiver. Return the receiver to the retailer you purchased it from.

Thanks for the replies. Typically, the problem has not shown for the last couple of days. Hopefully, it won't show again, but if it does I'll post a progress report.

Just an update on my little problem.
Still there, when I turn on, the distortion down the right side. Swapped HDMI leads, problem still there, but possibly better, or maybe not. Fiddle with the HDMI where it goes into the TV and it sometimes corrects and sometimes doesn't. HOWEVER, I have discovered that if I give a smart blow, with the heel of my hand, to the TV surround close to the HDMI socket, Hey Presto, distortion gone.
Why ever didn't I go for the old faithful cure first?

I
Err I hope that's tongue in cheek, a dry solder joint will require re soldering.

Yeah, it is kinda, I've run out of WD40.
I'm calibrating the level of thump required, and it's just the lightest shove! Amazing!

Probably just a connector that wants reseating then. Dry joints tend to fail again as the TV warms up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom