1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 1031QM progressive scan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by vlieg62, Jan 16, 2005.

1. vlieg62

vlieg62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a 1031QM (european version/SCART) and bought an Arcam DV88P DVD player with progressive scan.
    My question is : Do I connect the Arcam from component to Scart or to the Sony specific "VGA" connector?

Regards,

Paul

2. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you may be able to go in on the scart-I believe the Sony scans to 31.5..I used to have one many moons ago and went from a line doubler into the scart-i think?

refresh my memory..is there 5 bnc`s on the 1031..its been so long..maybe im thinking of something else/./

3. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

The Sony can accept a progressive rbg (rgbhv or rgbs) signal on it's scart input. You can make up a vga to scart cable to do this. However, the Sony will NOT accept a component input on it's scart input. Component and RGB are NOT the same thing and the easiest thing to do would be to buy a cheap line doubler (e.g. an Iscan Pro would be great) and feed it (the line doubler) with an (interlaced) component signal. Your other alternative is to purchase a dvd player with a vga output (like the Momitsu) or to use a computer with the video output set to vga.

Brian.

4. vlieg62

vlieg62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. So there is no possibility to use the progressive scan on the Arcam DV88. Another weird thing on the 1031 is the vga connector.
    I tried to connect my computer with a radeon 8500 but the vga connector I use does not fit on the sony 1031.

BXD Can you give an estimate price for Iscan? I have no idea what kind of price we are talking about

Thanks,

Paul

5. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

The connector on the 1031 isn't a vga connector but you can make up a vga to scart adapter. Wire the red, green and blue vga cables (and their associated earths) to their counterparts on a scart plug. Then combine the H and V sync cables onto the video pin on the scart and do the same thing with their earths (onto the video ground). Set your computer output to vga (no higher or you may damage your projector.... although you might be able to do svga.... someone on the US AVSForums will know. You should probably be able to pick up a second hand iScanPro for around £150-£200 on the classifieds here. There are other cheaper options but they aren't as good.

Brian

6. vlieg62

vlieg62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks BXD, very helpfull information. Found a website for the 1031QM eboyztoyz. Why is it that all the "newer" CRT's are twice as big and heavy as the Sony. The only reason i bought the Old sony is that I don't want a digital projector but also don't want a projector like the size off a battleship at my ceiling. I think there is a big market for "small" 7" crt's. The quality off the 1031 is still much better than the most DLP's and LCD's.

Anyway, thanks for all your help!

Regards,

Paul

7. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Paul,

OK, you've found a good source for 1031 info.
    The main problem with the 1031 is that it's analog and the setup involves endless tweeking of lots of little pots. I'm not a htpc user so going from 4:3 to 16:9 was a pain to do on the 1031...otherwise it's a great little projector.

Brian

8. vlieg62

vlieg62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Brian,
    I agree with the analog setup. I should also be using a HTPC but the soundquality can't mach my Arcam DV88. Still, I only watch 16:9 dvd's on the crt, so it's alright.

Regards,

paul