Sony 1031QM - Connect to PC?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by djhavor, Aug 21, 2006.

1. djhavor

djhavor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi there,

I recently dipped my toe in waters of CRT projection and splashed out all of a fiver on a Sony 1031QM. I haven't yet begun to set it up (part of the reason for buying this was to educate myself about these beasts), and I'm wondering about connections.

Ideally, I would connect it to my HTPC, but I understand this isn't as easy as a cursory glance at the projector's front panel (complete with 9-pin d-sub) might suggest.

I believe I might need some kind of custom cable, is that right? If so, can anyone suggest where I might be able to obtain one? I have to be honest, I'd prefer to avoid the homemade/solder-iron option at this stage, as I've never soldered anything in my life and am not sure I want to test out my abilities on my beloved new toy.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions and, above all, help gratefully received.

Djhavor

2. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You should find just about all you need to know about the 1031 here :-

http://www.eboyztoyz.com/article.php?ncat=00132

The 1031 is pretty capable little projector but be careful not to go beyond its limits with a htpc. It does not have the circuitry to protect itself if you run it at too high a resolution or refresh rate.

enjoy

3. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hi,

I'll second the comment about not going beyond the projectors limits.
    You don't want to use the 9pin d-sub connector but you can make up a vga to scart adapter using the red, blue and green pins (and their ground connections) with the sync combined into the composite video pin. There should be instructions around on the forum to do that. Alternately, you'll probably find that companies like Keene and lektropacks sell them.

There are essentially 3 ways to get a line doubled signal into the projector.

1. Use a video processor like the iScanPro. You should be able to pick up a second hand one quite cheaply.
    2. Use a computer with the video output set to vga (not sure about doing s-vga...check)
    3. Use a dvd player with a dvi/vga output like the Oppo (again set to vga)

Option 1 allows you to use all of your sources into the projector. You'll also need to set the projector up for either a 4:3 aspect ratio or a 16:9 aspect as you cannot change between them very easily.

Brian

4. djhavor

djhavor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

I think I will further assess the condition of the pj - tubes, chassis, etc - and then make a decision about an Iscan vs a HTPC (which I already have).

In the meantime, if anyone comes across a suitable Iscan, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Thanks again.