1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 100Hz CRT : Advanced Digital Motion or not?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Antor, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Antor

Antor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read a lot here about Sony 100Hz CRTs (32 inches).

The big difference between the two current models : one (KV-32CS70) does NOT have "Advanced Digital Motion" feature, the other (KV-32HQ86) HAS it.

My question is the following :

Since the KV-32HQ86 is much more expensive AND since most users of this model complain about "Advanced Digital Motion" and, most of the times, switch it of, what's the use of buying ther KV-32HQ86 instead of the much cheaper KV-32CS70?

I hesitate between the two models and really want to make to good decision.

Thanks for your help, especially if you've had the opportunity to compare the two models side by side.

2. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    i guess i'm not much help but i do have an fq86 with advanced digital motion... i leave the advanced option on and i find the picture good with it.. i havent seen the other set but i have to say i think the fq86 has a stunning picture... my brother was over the other night with his gf and spiderman was on sky and he & she couldnt get over the picture quality... he has a fq75... a top set from a few years ago.. the 86 does something special with the picture.. best i can descibe it is it almost has a 3d feel to it... with good sources its simple stunning.. geometry is fine on my set with the only complaint being a slightly annoying buzz from the set but then i hardly notice that any more and i think most 100 hrtz sets suffer from some buzz.. i'm not sure if the other set you mention has picture power as this seems to be the feature that makes the biggest difference on the tv...

hope thats of some use

cheers,
    mick

3. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got an HQ100 with it,i have no problems with it.Some people say it's useless and the picture breaks up.Best bet would be to see for youself ;) I has an FS76U and i thought the picture on that was amazing,the HQ100 blows it away!!!

4. Antor

Antor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your impressions about the FQ86 Mick.

In fact, Picture Power and Advanced Digital Motion are two diffent things.

As far as I know (read it on another forum), PICTURE POWER is just the name of a features set that allows user to select, among other things, one of two 100Hz Modes :

1. Advanced 100Hz Digital Motion (the "problematic one") : By Digital technology the original picture content is converted to 100Hz scanning, with motion scenes and transitions being digital smoothed. In systems of this digital nature the reproduction may result in digital artefacts - this depends upon the nature of the original source material being viewed.

2. 100Hz Digital Plus : This uses the traditional method of 100Hz conversion, the motion compensation level is reduced and it will show slightly less smooth picture impression in the case of motion when compared to Advanced 100Hz Digital Motion. The customer is free to select from either of these 100Hz modes depending upon the source of the picture material.

The CS70 only has the 2nd mode. The FQ86, though more expensive, does have both mode but lost of users prefer to switch off the 1st one to get back to Digital Plus...

5. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Picture power also has a contrast mode,i'll check the manual ;)

6. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Picture power:-
    sharpness-optimises the sharpness levels of the TV picture(off is for demo only)
    Contrast-Optimises the contrast levels