Sonus Faber System

NeilH

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone purchased these speakerd for AV use?

What did you think?

I use the Sonus Faber sub (Gravis) with a pair of B&W 805s, a B&W HTM2 centre and a couple of old B&Ws as rears. I bought it primarily for music. Having said that I think it's a pretty good AV sub too. It is accurate rather than boomy.

Jules.

Thanks for the input.

What other subs did you audition before purchasing the Gravis and did you cosider any of their other products when coosing the B&W's?

I started with 4 Concerto + 1 Solo, very good sound for the money, music and movies, and the nicest looking speakers, (with Iron stands)... worked very well with an Onkyo receiver, but much better with Rotel powers...

I use two REL Strata III subwoofers...

Now I have Electra Amator II front and Signum surround, waiting for the new Cremona center to upgrade the Solo... It is another league, but a lot more money too, and required upgrading the powers, I got Bryston now, the EAII are quite difficult to drive...

If you can, listen to them, take your other half with you, and you will have to buy them... ;)

Hi NeilH!

I also own SF Electa Amator II as fronts and Signums for surrounds. I started with the Signums as fronts and then upgraded to the EAII. During this upgrade I tried other speakers from JM Lab and Dynaudio, but the EAII came out as winners. They are, to me, wonderful speakers for Stereo as well as HT use.
They do require good amplification, though. I have TAG 100x5R which seems to have no problems driving them in my 20m2 room. A safe choice would be, as Lowrider suggests, Bryston amps.

I dont quite like de SF Solo center and while there's no other options from SF, I'll have to keep my JMLab Electra CC900 center.

My sub is a REL Strata III. While the Gravis is a good choice, I found that the Strata III (or even two, if your room requires it) stands out as providing more value for your money.

Regards,

Nuno Santos

Originally posted by NeilH
Anyone purchased these speakerd for AV use?

What did you think?

Classy kit and worth the money on performance let alone looks. :)

Hi,

caught this thread a bit late, but for what it's worth I use SF grand piano home's, SF walls, SF solo & a gravis.

I auditioned everything up to the same price as the above and to my ears, nothing came close, with B&W coming a close second. The real strength on the SF gear is an exceptional mid-range clarity and wonderful build quality. Using the bigger floor-standers like the GPs, they go down to 32Hz, so depending on your use you may not need a sub. The gravis is very musical but M&K or REL may be slightly faster(?)

I use a Rotel RMB 1095 - great value & sounds pretty good to me. I use a valve-hybrid pre-amp for stereo from the CDP, but otherwise a there are afair few pre-processors that will integrate well with the Rotels, since they are fairly neutral.

Even with floor standing speakers, one or two (even better) subs will improve the sound, but you definetely need a sub for AV...

fair comment.

By the way - is the Bryston pwr upgrade from rotel pwr worth it & if so, why?

Cheers,

You bet... :D

For the more difficult EAII it is a must, for the Home range, I just upgraded the remaining Rotel 993, 3 x 200 watts, to 3 Bryston Powerpacs 120 watts each, ( I got them 30% off, demos), and the Solo now really shines, tighter bass, faster, more detailed, the sound is more "alive", I am sure it would improve your sistem a lot too...

Neil,

If you like the Home series, I would get 4 Concertos (with Iron stands, beautiful, and you can bolt the speakers, a lot safer), the Solo, + a Gravis, or REL Strata III...

It will work ok with a receiver, but get a separate power as soon as you can...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom