1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonus Faber Minima Amator

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by swantz, May 26, 2005.

1. swantz

swantz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Does anyone knows the sensitivity of the Sonus Faber Minima Amators?
    Thanks!

2. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Swantz,

Lovely speakers - I recently bought some Signums and have been surprised by their sensitivity. The Minimas are slightly smaller so I would imagine they're around 84dB, 4ohm.

You'll probably need a minimum of 20wpc valve or 40wpc solid state, to make them sing.

DT

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    DT nice one, beautiful transducers you have there sir, how much did those set you back then ? The new Domus standmounts look like a very nice range SF are bringing out.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    The Domus is my intended next speaker.

Oh yes, it will be mine.

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
  6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Being as I am an industry scab CJ I'm hoping to improve on that. I also need to accept that any price will need to include the stands which are for all I know superfluous but too lovely not to have.

Was fortunate to have an extended tinker with them in Munich and was simply blown away by them. Trying desperately to drag this back on topic swantz- if the cheapies are that good, I have no doubt the big players will be fantastic.

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Yep the stands are lovely indeed, I heard the Auditor Cremonas off a trio of Coplands kit and was rewarded with the best sounding standmount speakers Ive ever heard dude, that’s whats so interesting about the Domus standmount looks like the same tweeter as your probably aware.

8. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Cheers CJ. The Siggy's are well worth the outlay - what gorgeous little monitors they are. I think they retailed for £1,250 until production ceased in '02. I paid half that for a mint, boxed pair. Given that Concerto's cost £1000 a pair, it was a no-brainer.

Build & finish are, of course, stunning. Antique furniture is the family trade, so I have a lot of admiration for SF's cabinet work - it really is quite special (considering the realistic prices they charge). Lumley are the only other speaker manufacturer whose woodwork knocks me sideways. Their stuff is generally more expensive than SF though.

They're very transparent and have awesome bass for their size. Gorgeous mids and smooth highs of course. They cope much better at high volumes, compared to the Tannoys (resonant/coloured when played loud) which has made movies more enjoyable.

As Tons says, dedicated stands are a must, even though they are possibly inferior to the heavy-duty offerings from Partington etc. Will get some stonewoods soon though, when finances allow ;)

Rgds,
    DT

9. swantz

swantz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    84db, wow, then it will need a quite powerful amp to drive it.
    Thanks turtle!

10. swantz

swantz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually Tons, i've never heard of them in actual speaker before but have heard good reviews about them ...
    I think it would be a tad pricey though, at least for me

11. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Swantz,

The rated sensitivity of the Minima driver is actually 88dB. Personally, I think this is a little optimistic for such a tiny unit.

You don't necessarily need a powerful amp to drive the speakers, they should work fine with a 20w valve amp. Generally speaking, the more "headroom" you have, the better - especially if you intend to use them at louder volumes for movies.

DT

12. swantz

swantz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All righty then, Thanks Turtle!