Sonus Faber Lumina II Amp Choice

GreenGiant1888

Standard Member
Hi,

I am fairly new to Hi-Fi/HT and went to my local Audio dealer for some help in making a purchase. I explained that my budget is around £2,000 (ended up spending a bit more) and I was looking for a speaker set up to be used in conjunction with a TV feature wall. The main focus of the setup would be music however I still wanted decent-ish performance for movies too.

The dealer recommended that I look at a 2.1 stereo speaker setup. I demo'd various set ups, and I ended up choosing the Sonus Fabers, they sounded brilliant to me.

Due to my budget, and the fact that the speakers would be hooked up with TV - the dealer recommended that I pair the speakers with a Cyrus One Cast. This pushed my budget a little too high, so his next recommendation was the Bluesound Powernode 2i.

He admitted himself that the Bluesound might not be perfect to power the Sonus Fabers but we listened to the pairing and both agreed that it sounded great.

Therefore, I ended purchasing the following set-up,
  • Sonus Faber Lumina II bookshelf speakers (£999)
  • REL HT1003 subwoofer (purchased independently from dealer, as their sub choice was very limited got them from Peter Tyson for £449)
  • Bluesound Powernode 2i (£849)
When posting on another thread, @davidf helpfully pointed out that the amp/speaker combination might not be ideal - Subwoofer thread

Just looking to see if anyone would recommend a different amp for these speakers.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
I couldn't find how well the Bluesond drives 4 Ohm loads but this could be the reason for the comment. A lot of the smaller digital amps are not able to deliver the same level of current required for lower impedance speakers. Your Sonus Fabers are 4 Ohms like most

davidf

@GreenGiant1888

It is lower powered Class D amplifiers that could end up overheating over prolonged, hard useage, like a two hour non stop action film, for example. During a demo, you don’t really get to try this aspect out, as you’re listening to clips, but at home, you’re settled in and you’ll watch a full length film all the way through. If it can do that without getting too warm/hot, then all is good.

As I say, used in conjunction with a sub, and setting an 80Hz crossover point (maybe even 100), this will ease the load on the PowerNode.

And reading your post again, if you paid £849 for the PowerNode, it’ll be the new (non “i”) version, as the old one was £799. As mentioned, this has a little more power, which will help, but I’d still be a little wary if your movie viewing is on the loud side - it won’t compete with a stand alone AV receiver for louder, more continuous movie viewing, for example.

I would bring this up with the dealer, and just state you’re wary about how well it will cope with a low sensitivity, low impedance speaker over the course of a movie. See if there’s any possibility of exchange if it starts running hot, or God forbid, anything worse (like activating protection circuitry). The Cyrus will certainly drive the speakers much better and without concern, I just didn’t mention the Cast version as I presumed you’d settled on the BluOS control app, which is better.

GreenGiant1888

Standard Member
@GreenGiant1888

It is lower powered Class D amplifiers that could end up overheating over prolonged, hard useage, like a two hour non stop action film, for example. During a demo, you don’t really get to try this aspect out, as you’re listening to clips, but at home, you’re settled in and you’ll watch a full length film all the way through. If it can do that without getting too warm/hot, then all is good.

As I say, used in conjunction with a sub, and setting an 80Hz crossover point (maybe even 100), this will ease the load on the PowerNode.

And reading your post again, if you paid £849 for the PowerNode, it’ll be the new (non “i”) version, as the old one was £799. As mentioned, this has a little more power, which will help, but I’d still be a little wary if your movie viewing is on the loud side - it won’t compete with a stand alone AV receiver for louder, more continuous movie viewing, for example.

I would bring this up with the dealer, and just state you’re wary about how well it will cope with a low sensitivity, low impedance speaker over the course of a movie. See if there’s any possibility of exchange if it starts running hot, or God forbid, anything worse (like activating protection circuitry). The Cyrus will certainly drive the speakers much better and without concern, I just didn’t mention the Cast version as I presumed you’d settled on the BluOS control app, which is better.

Thanks David, the Sonus/Bluesound combination did sound great in the store however I now understand what you mean regarding the potential issues of running loud movies for prolonged periods. Or playing music at a very high volume.

I'll bring it up with my dealer and see what they say.

When I was deciding on my purchase the Cyrus One Cast was selling at around £1,300 however several retailers (including the one I'm dealing with) have it on sale for £1,100. I can see that the Cyrus is 100W per channel and is a 'hybrid class D' amplifier. Do you think it is worth me upgrading from the BlueSound to the Cyrus for £250?

It would need to be either the BlueSound Powernode 2 or the Cyrus One Cast, as I think it would be too expensive to buy a standalone amp and a streaming device too.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
I probably shouldn't say this but naim and Sonus Faber how very well together

GreenGiant1888

Standard Member
I came across this video that specifically recommended pairing the Sonus Faber Lumina II with the Rotel A11 Tribute.
I could pair the Rotel A11 Tribute with a Bluesound Node (this would allow me to hook the speakers up to my TV, and benefit from increased streaming options). I can get both for £1,000.

Therefore, I would have a Class AB 50W amplifier with the Node - rather than just the Class D 80W BlueSound Powernode.

Thoughts?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom