Sonus faber Lumina I Standmount Speaker Review & Comments

luiscardoso88

I think the Rega RX1 should be quite more capable and interesting for about the same price. And, at 89dB/1w, it‘s much easier to drive, too.

acgingersnaps

I like the overall look, but not the triangle round the tweeter. Cheapens the looks a bit for me.

Slinkywizard

I don't normally read speaker reviews, but I read this one all the way through because I can't get over how pretty they are. That's it. That's the comment.

vkvedam

Thanks @Ed Selley , presumably you must have already heard the LS50 Metas, how would you compare these? I am still very happy with my original LS50s :)

steve sph

Good comprehensive review, as usual - cheers Ed.
Not heard any of their smaller speakers, but a mate has a pair of their Sonetto V111 floorstanders and they have an open, neutral sound and a wonderfully expansive sound stage.
That said, at the wrong side of £5.5k they bloody well should do!

Steve Stifler

Another well written review thanks.

I notice that your Isotek Evo 3 Sigmas appears to be on furlough. Hopefully that means there will be a review of the iFi Powerstation coming up in due course. Cheers and have a safe and enjoyable Christmas and New Year.

DodgeTheViper

@Ed Selley

Great review and a very interesting read. It’s given me an insight into the Sonus Faber sound. Are there any plans to review anything from the Sonetto Collection ?

DodgeTheViper

Good comprehensive review, as usual - cheers Ed.
Not heard any of their smaller speakers, but a mate has a pair of their Sonetto V111 floorstanders and they have an open, neutral sound and a wonderfully expansive sound stage.
That said, at the wrong side of £5.5k they bloody well should do!
Ooh, the big fellas. I bet they sounded really nice :)

steve sph

Ooh, the big fellas. I bet they sounded really nice :)
Possibly the best speakers I've ever heard mate.
If I could find a way of sneaking a pair past the wife I'd buy 'em in a heartbeat, but worry I'd spend the early part of the new year in Manchester Royal having my genitals surgically re-attached.

DodgeTheViper

Possibly the best speakers I've ever heard mate.
If I could find a way of sneaking a pair past the wife I'd buy 'em in a heartbeat, but worry I'd spend the early part of the new year in Manchester Royal having my genitals surgically re-attached.
Yeah I get ya :D

Probably need a fairly big space for those as well. Out of curiosity, what finish are they and what was it like ?

steve sph

Yeah I get ya :D

Probably need a fairly big space for those as well. Out of curiosity, what finish are they and what was it like ?
His pair were in gloss black - nothing that takes your breath away, but well made.
They also come in a couple of light and dark wood finishes but to me they're a bit Marmite as the wooden grain finish goes across rather than down, (I appreciate I'm not explaining this very well but if you look on the website you'll know what I mean).
Like I say five and a half bags of sand isn't exactly small change, but they really do have a wonderful presentation and I'd seriously recommend that anyone looking for a pair of floorstanders in this price range give 'em an audition, because coupled with a Roksan K3 they blew me away.

DodgeTheViper

I know what you mean about the finish and yeah I think the wood grains do look a little odd. Maybe it was some kind of 'make them stand out' type decision and i've been all over the website :D

Has your mate got them in a big space ? I've contacted Sonus Faber with a few queries and i'm just waiting to hear back from them.

steve sph

They're in the living room/home cinema room which is about 16 feet squared, (so therefore not ideal, but we have to work with what we've got) - about 8 feet apart, about three feet from any walls and toed in maybe 20 degrees.
No fancy speaker cables - just Mark Grant 6 mm copper terminated with banana plugs.
Before he bought 'em, Premium Sound let him road test a pair for a fortnight so he had nothing to lose really.
Apart from his missus who'd earmarked the money for a Caribbean cruise.
I think a new dishwasher stopped her packing his bags and changing the locks.

DodgeTheViper

Oh god yeah, we have to work with what we have but that's very, very promising. I've ear marked the Sonetto III's but I may look at the V.

And we've just bought a new dishwasher :facepalm: :laugh:

Alex P79

Have you heard the Sonetto III? They are top of my consideration list in terms of price. I like them in walnut or gloss black. Available with 0% finance from a couple of suppliers. I have not heard them in person but through Youtube (and Sonus Faber headphones) they sound good in the ‘room’ on a couple of videos I have watched.

DodgeTheViper

Have you heard the Sonetto III? They are top of my consideration list in terms of price. I like them in walnut or gloss black. Available with 0% finance from a couple of suppliers. I have not heard them in person but through Youtube (and Sonus Faber headphones) they sound good in the ‘room’ on a couple of videos I have watched.
If that's asking me, no I haven't, not yet.

I was liking the wood finishes as well but I think I'm coming round to Gloss Black now.

Alex P79

If that's asking me, no I haven't, not yet.
Yes I was. Just wondering if you had a chance to hear them. I find that of all the items in the HiFi chain, speakers really should be heard in the room they are going to be used in. Therefore dealer demos of speakers don’t give one the full picture. The problem is, trying to arrange a home demo of speakers, especially when I live a good 70 miles from the nearest stockist, is always a challenge. That’s why reviews, opinions and YouTube videos are so useful.

As with the Audiovector QR3 and Piega Classic 5.0s, the Sonetto IIIs are designed for small to medium-sized rooms. Trouble is, it‘s not clear what a medium sized room is. Our lounge is roughly 3.5m by 6.5m. Is this a medium-sized room?

DodgeTheViper

There's loads of info on room sizes and what category they fit into but the info is different with everything you'll read. If something is suited for 'small to medium' that'll suit me.

I think this is probably a good guide as it refers to a rooms purpose.

Last edited:

jpsunrise

Novice Member
thank you for the review. I love Sonus Faber for the warm sound and stunning design. Hopefully i get to own their speakers in the future.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

NAD Launches CI 16-60 DSP Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett