Sonus Faber Concertinos

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Gorecon, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Gorecon

Gorecon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Has anyone got pair of these speakers? (Sonus Faber Concertinos Home Series)
    I auditioned some recently and have to say I am in a bit of a dilemma.
    They look stunning, but of course it is the sound I am really interested in.

They gave a detailed sound but had practically no bass. It was only when they were turned upto a high level that bass started to come through.
    I know they are a fairly small speaker, but I was really surprised by the lack of bass. To be fair the room I demo-ed them in was a large room where as my room is alot smaller.
    I currently have a Kef Eggs home cinema setup and this obviously has a 10" sub driving them.
    I am by no means a bass freak but I like to hear at least a bit of bass.
    Is this typical of speakers this size? Do I need to look at floorstanders? Which I really do not want to have to go down that route.

Any suggestions? I have not ruled these speakers yet but would very interested in other people experiences of these speakers.

Thanks

2. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The concertinos homes are nice little speakers,good with jazz,acoustic,and simple arrangements,the treble I found a touch grey,but image very well,have no bass,as you say,the main driver is very small,under 6cm,and box volume is also very small,they look beautiful,are well made,but I felt in the end,you was paying alot for the looks more than the absolute sound.For music in a small room with valves they will sing there hearts out,but for AV a sub is a must,they will kill off the dreadful, for music KEF eggs (I have/had both).

3. Gorecon

Gorecon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.
    Interestingly I do mainly listen to Jazz and accoustic stuff.
    Would you recommend alternatives?
    The Quad 11L's or 12L's were other speakers I am considering.

Also what did/do you have as a centre speaker? I would imagine you done away with the Kef centre egg?

4. Gorecon

Gorecon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further to my original post. Would I be crazy to use my subwoofer alongside the speakers?
    Is this a written rule that should never be done?

Any help appreciated as I need to start making a decision soon.

5. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Gorecon

Go for the SF sub that matches the speakers (can't remember the name, sorry). It works really well with them and I'm sure you wont be disappointed :) The combination will far out perform the KEF eggs

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Gorecon,
    Take a look at the PMC DB1's they are the smallest (As far as I know) transmission line speaker available but able to pack a heavy punch. I believe they've just been upgraded to the + status using the Fabric dome tweeter of the TB and OB1's. Very good imaging, big soundstage and very dynamic especially for the size.
    Certainly worth a look, matching centre is available to.