Sonos

MNH

Standard Member
Reaction score
(already posted this on the hifi board but i guess its more relevent here?)

anyone know anything about the sonos wireless system?

www.sonos.com

may main question is whether you have to have one of the 'zonePlayers' attached to your wireless router. i'm assuming you do.

its a bit expensive for me, but would fit the bill perfectly. trouble is, the room where i have my router is not one of the rooms where i want to listen to music. hence i would need to buy one more zoneplayer than i need, or move the router.

I've ordered my Sonos but it hasn't come in yet. Their website is an excellent source of info, but here's what I have learned.

the ZonePlayers communicate to each other and to the controllers through their built-in wireless system, you do not need to set up a wireless network of your own. You need to have at least one ZonePlayer connected to your wired network so that the ZP can access your music files. Personally, I'm planning on connecting all of the ZonePlayers to my wired network just because it will be easy to do in my house. Not only is it not necessary to connect your ZonePlayers to an access point, it is not really possible. They have a proprietary wireless configuration that I think works on the 2.4GHz frequency. I have a wireless access point in addition to my wired lan that I use just for my laptops and, from what I've read, I'm not anticipating any interference.

Hope this helps....

mtn_biker : Did you order through a UK dealer?

I'm quite about excited about the zone player concept but I want to see and hear it working before I form any opinions on the actual product.

this looks a great product and i've heard good things - sadly it's out of my price range :thumbsdow

I'm seriously interested in the Sonos system and was just wondering if anyone actually has one?

Is it available over here yet, or do you have to buy it from the 'States - the website suggestes that they are not shipping yet to Europe?

If anyone's got any more info or even better personal experience that would be great. Thanks!

It's not shipping here yet although orders/deposits are currently being taken (I ordered mine yesterday); delivery has been quoted as June 10th (apparently the UK shipment is presently docked in Rotterdam :smashin: )

For £899 inc vat I cant personally think of a better more cost-effective solution for multi-room audio. And it looks as though all the critics are in agreement - I havent seen a single bad review from the US, and I think its just been given a Gold 5* award in T3 this month.

Im going to use 1 zoneplayer for my Kitchen/Dining Room, whilst the other one will feed my Study & Main Bedroom.

I am counting down the days.... I cant wait ! :D

Checkout "the best mp3 jukebox" thread for a PC based system. a fair bit cheaper and none proprietary formats!!

*update*

just had email through - receiving kit on monday :D

It looks very interesting, I would be interested to hear your views.

ukwill said:
It's not shipping here yet although orders/deposits are currently being taken (I ordered mine yesterday)

Sorry if I'm being stupid and I've missed this somewhere in the thread... where did you order this from (from what I could see, the Sonos store only ships to the US or Canada).

Ty

Si

Simebaby said:
Sorry if I'm being stupid and I've missed this somewhere in the thread... where did you order this from (from what I could see, the Sonos store only ships to the US or Canada).

Ty

Si

Si, I ordered mine from here linky

iirc they're based over in SW London somewhere.

cheers
will

Yes, as of last Friday they are shipping in the UK too.
Currently it's just the Bundles that are in stock - we're still awaiting an ETA on the individual components for the UK.
Still, the bundles make the most sense for people starting out.

Cheers
Alex

ukwill said:
Si, I ordered mine from here linky

iirc they're based over in SW London somewhere.

cheers
will

Thanks... just ordered mine, hopefully get it Wednesday / Thursday!

Can't wait!

good to hear :D

mine turned up this morning. cant wait to get it home and set it all up... got a whole lot of ripping to be getting on with though :rolleyes:

the controller has a nice weight to it and it looks like a cradle can't be far off, as the terminals are already built in.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been fillled with people who've just got their systems set up and running.
The customers who've mailed us direct have all been really pleased with how it all just works.
Not many have mentioned sound quality though, which we've been really impressed with so far - any comments guys?

Can this feed into your hifi as well as connecting straight to the speakers ?

Hi there
Yes, it can - it has line-outs.
Obviously you're paying for an amp that you're not using, but it does work very well.
They are supposedly planning an amp-less unit, but no dates yet.
Cheers
Alex

Just to add - you wont obviously be able to control your amps switching from the Sonos Controller, but at least it gives you great sound quality, access to your digital music/internet radio and control of your music via the lovely controller.

Is there a chance Sonos will produce a video capable unit which will play back movies etc... stored on a server?

I love the idea of using the Sonos controller to browse through my movie colletion hit play and it appears on the screen...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom