Sonos ZP100 - What Speakers Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by derekn, Feb 5, 2009.

1. derekn

derekn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I think I might have better results asking this question here rather than in the Speaker Forum....

Until recently I've been feeding the output from a ZP80 into a DAC then meaty amplifier to drive a pair of Kef Reference 2s. I'm now down sizing and want to use a ZP100 and some ???? speakers.

The ZP100 is quoted as 2x50w output into 8ohms and I'm wondering what speakers to audition. Floorstanders (standmounts vulnerable to grandchildren!) in light oak (to match furniture) would suit. Budget £400, thanks hopefully to ebay.

I don't want to over tax the Sonos amplification. If a speaker is quoted as being suitable for amps 25w to 170w would I be safe? Is sensitivity relevant?

I'm no techie and would be grateful to hear of any relevant experience with a ZP100 or some guiding principles when thinking 2x50w.

Thanks,

2. derekn

derekn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I've been recommended Tannoy Mercury F4s but they're no longer available from Richer Sounds. Anyone tried Kef iQ5s with a ZP100?

Cheers,

3. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    If the 50W quoted is both channels driven from 20Hz to 20kHz then you'll be fine with virtually any speaker.

Most speakers tend to be 87-90db in terms of efficiency. I think (no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that a speaker at 90db efficiency requires half the amplifier power for a given volume than a speaker quoted at 87db.

So, if you aim for speakers nearer the 90db efficiency you'll be taxing your amp a lot less.