Sonos users please

lcd

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am moving to my new home soon and I am interested in whole home audio system. The house is not prewired for surround sound. So, I am looking for a wireless solution. My research seems to tell me that Sonos is a good choice.

Does Sonos allow users to stream from any source? I've watched a youtube demo of Nuvo, which seems to limit the users to sources inside the Nuvo app such as Pandora and TuneIn. It means if I want to listen to some radio which isn't available through Pandora or TuneIn, but available through other standalone iPhone or Android apps, I'm stuck. So, does Sonos allow me to stream from MyCoolRadios iPhone app I implemented myself?

Also, is it possible to stream from my TV with Sonos?

Please share your experiences with Sonos. Thank you.

However, I also found CasaTunes while doing my research. It seems to have the capability of streaming from any app.

I dont think a 'perfect' wireless home audio solution exists which will give you reliable streaming for both TV and music from any device and application across multiple speakers - like buying a house, you will have to make a compromise somewhere.

Sonos has most of the boxes ticked but isnt perfect.

The good:
- best in class for 'wireless' reliability due to mesh network rather than the 'star' of all the others. in other words each device talks to the next to create a mesh of devices. 'Star' means all network traffic has to go through one central point - your wireless router. If there are multiple streams to multiple speakers things can go awry !

- Simplicity - very simple to set up. No technical skills required or a degree in IT to keep it all running.

- Integrates Home Cinema - the playbar allows for TV audio (or full 5.1 if you go down that route) whilst also being a Sonos speaker in its own right so can play music the same as any other sonos device and be grouped together with or even send TV audio to other speakers elsewhere. Adding the sub and surrounds makes a great surround system without the wires and boxes typically associated with home cinema.

- Large selection of streaming services - Sonos supports all the major streaming services in addition to your own local library. HOWEVER, they are all done via its own app so there are features missing from some services. e.g. Spotify Radio.

- Support - Sonos has a fantastic support in case things go wrong. You can just pick up the phone and talk to someone. You can submit a diagnostic report of your system and they can identify what may be wrong. I dont think any other vendor will do this. In addition, their 'app' is constantly evolving by adding new features and services. 3-4 times per year a new version is released.

The bad:
- price !

- 'Walled Garden' app - you are generally confined to working within the sonos app. This has changed recently with the possibility to stream content from Google Play Music on android to Sonos but otherwise you are restricted to whats possible in the app (which is still a lot!). There are calls to allow for streaming from other apps e.g. Spotify, Youtube etc but this isnt possible yet. However, it may happen in future - there is rumour of a universal 'Stream to Sonos' option but it hasnt materialized so far.
There are workarounds using the sonos devices with 'line-in' (Playbar, Play5, Connect, ConnectAMP) together with Aiport Express, Apple TV, Chromecast + HDMI to composite converter etc etc. Where there's a will theres a way !! These will allow to you send, for example, airplay content to a Sonos Play 5 which in turn can send it to any other Sonos speaker.

- Playbar limitations - the Playbar has only 1 optical input on the basis your TV has an optical output and can handle all of the audio and video switching itself. However, not all TVs support 5.1 audio from external devices so may get stereo even though the source is 5.1. This depends on the TV. In addition, the Playbar does not currently support DTS. There are workarounds to both of these issues if necessary (check the sonos forums!)

I dont think a 'perfect' wireless home audio solution exists which will give you reliable streaming for both TV and music from any device and application across multiple speakers - like buying a house, you will have to make a compromise somewhere.

Sonos has most of the boxes ticked but isnt perfect.

The good:
- best in class for 'wireless' reliability due to mesh network rather than the 'star' of all the others. in other words each device talks to the next to create a mesh of devices. 'Star' means all network traffic has to go through one central point - your wireless router. If there are multiple streams to multiple speakers things can go awry !

- Simplicity - very simple to set up. No technical skills required or a degree in IT to keep it all running.

- Integrates Home Cinema - the playbar allows for TV audio (or full 5.1 if you go down that route) whilst also being a Sonos speaker in its own right so can play music the same as any other sonos device and be grouped together with or even send TV audio to other speakers elsewhere. Adding the sub and surrounds makes a great surround system without the wires and boxes typically associated with home cinema.

- Large selection of streaming services - Sonos supports all the major streaming services in addition to your own local library. HOWEVER, they are all done via its own app so there are features missing from some services. e.g. Spotify Radio.

- Support - Sonos has a fantastic support in case things go wrong. You can just pick up the phone and talk to someone. You can submit a diagnostic report of your system and they can identify what may be wrong. I dont think any other vendor will do this. In addition, their 'app' is constantly evolving by adding new features and services. 3-4 times per year a new version is released.

The bad:
- price !

- 'Walled Garden' app - you are generally confined to working within the sonos app. This has changed recently with the possibility to stream content from Google Play Music on android to Sonos but otherwise you are restricted to whats possible in the app (which is still a lot!). There are calls to allow for streaming from other apps e.g. Spotify, Youtube etc but this isnt possible yet. However, it may happen in future - there is rumour of a universal 'Stream to Sonos' option but it hasnt materialized so far.
There are workarounds using the sonos devices with 'line-in' (Playbar, Play5, Connect, ConnectAMP) together with Aiport Express, Apple TV, Chromecast + HDMI to composite converter etc etc. Where there's a will theres a way !! These will allow to you send, for example, airplay content to a Sonos Play 5 which in turn can send it to any other Sonos speaker.

- Playbar limitations - the Playbar has only 1 optical input on the basis your TV has an optical output and can handle all of the audio and video switching itself. However, not all TVs support 5.1 audio from external devices so may get stereo even though the source is 5.1. This depends on the TV. In addition, the Playbar does not currently support DTS. There are workarounds to both of these issues if necessary (check the sonos forums!)

Thanks a lot for this summary. It really helps. Sonos really should try to give users option to stream from any app, then it will defeat all other competitors pretty easily. Is it technically or legally hard to achieve?

...others to consider:
- Bluesound
- Denon Heos
- Pure (as above)
- Bose Soundtouch

many of the alternatives max out at 8 or so devices so it depends how big you're going. Sonos maxes out at 32.

from what Ive read of Nuvo and Casatunes, Sonos outclasses both of them.

...others to consider:
- Bluesound
- Denon Heos
- Pure (as above)
- Bose Soundtouch

many of the alternatives max out at 8 or so devices so it depends how big you're going. Sonos maxes out at 32.

from what Ive read of Nuvo and Casatunes, Sonos outclasses both of them.

Thanks. I will do research about the list you give. Yes, I also feel like Sonos is pretty cool. But not able to stream from any app is a deal breaker. The problem is that I use some radio and music apps which are not available through the Sonos app, nor the Novu app.

Looks like Pure have got around the problem using Bluetooth to stream from the mobile device to a nearby speaker. Same thing could be achieved using a with Sonos line-in (Play5/Connect) and a bluetooth receiver e.g. Bluetooth Audio Adapter

Of course they would both suffer the same limitations of bluetooth with short range, it zaps your battery and relies on the device to stream the content rather than a speaker that 'pulls' the content directly.

Pure gets some mixed reviews - their app gets most of the blame. Best thing would be to go and listen to all contenders and (equally important!) check how you like their respective apps.

So, are you saying that with a bluetooth adapter, I would be able to stream from any app on my iPhone to my Sonos system? That'll pretty much solve the problem. Yes, short range of bluetooth is a big problem.

So, are you saying that with a bluetooth adapter, I would be able to stream from any app on my iPhone to my Sonos system? That'll pretty much solve the problem. Yes, short range of bluetooth is a big problem.

yes, thats exactly what Im saying. You can use the Line in on a Play 5 or Connect or Connect Amp.
Once the audio is within the Sonos network, you can then share it with any other speakers, even if they dont have line-in, like a Play 1 or Play 3.

yes, thats exactly what Im saying. You can use the Line in on a Play 5 or Connect or Connect Amp.
Once the audio is within the Sonos network, you can then share it with any other speakers, even if they dont have line-in, like a Play 1 or Play 3.

That makes it worth trying. Thanks. Or maybe a Sonos dealer may have some suggestions.

Sonos CONNECT and (some of) the PLAY units have an anlogue input which is digitised and can then be streamed to zone(s).

So Sonos can stream anything you present as a line-in analogue signal...

Sonos CONNECT and (some of) the PLAY units have an anlogue input which is digitised and can then be streamed to zone(s).

So Sonos can stream anything you present as a line-in analogue signal...
Sounds a little complicated. I don't believe I understand it. :)

I used to do this with my old school Sony tuner to stream radio through the sonos - back in the day.

It's not complicated - Just another way of saying you can plug anything into the line-in (phone, tablet, Bluetooth adapter, airport express...) and send that audio to one or more Sonos speakers. This is only required for anything that isn't available directly through the sonos app.

Sonos are currently offering a 100 day no quibble trial so you could have a go with a Play 5 and see how you get on.

All Sonos zone players except the Play:1 & Play:3 have an audio input which the player digitises and makes available to any zone. This is a regular analogue stereo input except for the Playbar which has a digital optical input.

The audio can be played in any zone regardless of whether the zone to which the input is physically connected is actually being used or is listening to so,etching different.

So any stereo audio that is presented on a Sonos input can be used, therefor if you add a bluetooth audio adapter to a Sonos zone and pair your phone/tablet to it then you can play the audio from your device (and therefore the App you are using) on any Sonos zone in your system. You could also use a cable from the headphone socket instead if preferred, or the audio jacks from a suitable dock etc. Bluetooth is obviously wireless and dependent on your phone staying within range of the Bluetooth receiver.

It's not complicated - Just another way of saying you can plug anything into the line-in (phone, tablet, Bluetooth adapter, airport express...) and send that audio to one or more Sonos speakers. This is only required for anything that isn't available directly through the sonos app.

Sonos are currently offering a 100 day no quibble trial so you could have a go with a Play 5 and see how you get on.

This does it make it easier for me to understand. Thanks. Will check out the trial.

All Sonos zone players except the Play:1 & Play:3 have an audio input which the player digitises and makes available to any zone. This is a regular analogue stereo input except for the Playbar which has a digital optical input.

The audio can be played in any zone regardless of whether the zone to which the input is physically connected is actually being used or is listening to so,etching different.

So any stereo audio that is presented on a Sonos input can be used, therefor if you add a bluetooth audio adapter to a Sonos zone and pair your phone/tablet to it then you can play the audio from your device (and therefore the App you are using) on any Sonos zone in your system. You could also use a cable from the headphone socket instead if preferred, or the audio jacks from a suitable dock etc. Bluetooth is obviously wireless and dependent on your phone staying within range of the Bluetooth receiver.

Sounds promising, although the short range of bluetooth can be a problem.

There are other longer range wireless solutions but these require you to use either a dock or cable to connect your phone to the transmitter, which is not very practical either. So there are compromises with all of the options but it does give you some idea of how to try and work around the restrictions if you choose the Sonos system.

There are other longer range wireless solutions but these require you to use either a dock or cable to connect your phone to the transmitter, which is not very practical either. So there are compromises with all of the options but it does give you some idea of how to try and work around the restrictions if you choose the Sonos system.
Indeed, the conclusion is that there is no perfect solution.

Just add an Apple airport express to one of the line in connections, that's what I have done and it works fine. Simply choose the line in on the device/s you want to stream from your phone and select the AirPlay out sound option on your iPhone and off you go. My kids use it all the time to stream music off of YouTube etc.

Just add an Apple airport express to one of the line in connections, that's what I have done and it works fine. Simply choose the line in on the device/s you want to stream from your phone and select the AirPlay out sound option on your iPhone and off you go. My kids use it all the time to stream music off of YouTube etc.

I am a little confused. I read that sonos users are confined to the sonos app in order to stream music to their speakers. So does the sonos app include youtube, much like it does Pandora and TuneIn? Even if the answer is yes, it is a confinement by forcing people to use the sonos app.

No. I simply use the sonos app to select the line in that I have my aiport express going into. I then use my iphone/ipad to watch listen to whatever I choose but instead if selecting the device speaker I select airplay. This then send it to the AE and in turn to whichever room or speakers I have grouped the 'line in' to.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom