Quantcast

Sonos to cease support for older products in May

Joe C

It's only Connect's up to 2015 as well, newer ones than that are fine

jwsg

It may be unwise for companies to use the phrase "stop support" because as with Win 7 recently, people seem to think that means the device will stop working. Even the BBC news page covers the outrage caused, which is ironic as no-one ever comments on the lack of updates for TVs which cost ten times as much. If only they received the same support as this.

Jason72

For me it's quite straightforward. I built a house around seven years ago and put three Sonos ZP120's and a Sonos ZP90 into it, Polk ceiling speakers and three Sonos Controllers and cradles (all at great expense). The Sonos contollers are now bricks (due to software upgrades). If in May the ZP's are unable to be used then I will never ever purchase another Sonos product. Reading the various press releases, it seems that I will be able to continue using the ZP's as normal, but as with the controllers a software update could potentially brick the ZP's.
It seems very strange that Sonos would take this course of action as I (along with many Sonos owners) am extremely happy with our setups. My perception is that good software for a product helps sell that product, so why any Company would alienate their customer base is beyond me.
On a final point, I'm NOT asking Sonos to support my ZP's forever all I'm saying is please don't release software that 'bricks' my ZP's and stops them from doing what they currently do. After all, they did that with my Sonos controllers.

Joe C

For me it's quite straightforward. I built a house around seven years ago and put three Sonos ZP120's and a Sonos ZP90 into it, Polk ceiling speakers and three Sonos Controllers and cradles (all at great expense). The Sonos contollers are now bricks (due to software upgrades). If in May the ZP's are unable to be used then I will never ever purchase another Sonos product. Reading the various press releases, it seems that I will be able to continue using the ZP's as normal, but as with the controllers a software update could potentially brick the ZP's.
It seems very strange that Sonos would take this course of action as I (along with many Sonos owners) am extremely happy with our setups. My perception is that good software for a product helps sell that product, so why any Company would alienate their customer base is beyond me.
On a final point, I'm NOT asking Sonos to support my ZP's forever all I'm saying is please don't release software that 'bricks' my ZP's and stops them from doing what they currently do. After all, they did that with my Sonos controllers.
They’re not saying a software update may brick them, they’re saying you won’t get anymore updates after May.

If you’re happy with your setup, and don’t have any of the newer models, you’re unaffected other than not being able to get any future feature additions

Jason72

Hi Joe,
Please forgive me for feeling a little cautious, but I've got £500 worth of 'bricked' CR100 controllers and cradles (sitting in a box in my garage) that make me feel a little edgy about their latest press releases !!

DLPMaybe

You'd imagine at some point all the music services will stop working on the Sonos. The 3rd party will update their api, sonos will not update to support, game over.

MikeNelson

I think you're right to be cautious! It seems likely something will change like apple music or spotify API and the device ceases to stream...

Joe C

That I don’t doubt, but that’s different to what Sonos are saying

inkinoo

Sonos customer since 2005. Stopping the Connect Amps getting updates is utter madness. Their reasoning is utter nonsense too.

Rockets

It may be unwise for companies to use the phrase "stop support" because as with Win 7 recently, people seem to think that means the device will stop working. Even the BBC news page covers the outrage caused, which is ironic as no-one ever comments on the lack of updates for TVs which cost ten times as much. If only they received the same support as this.
I think the time of built in redundancy is coming to a end, more and more pressure will be put on manufactures to update software on physical products if possible.

You can probably thank the Swedish girl for that.

hifinutt

Standard Member
Sonos customer since 2005. Stopping the Connect Amps getting updates is utter madness. Their reasoning is utter nonsense too.
agreed , a lot of people feel let down by sonos

i lost my controller a while back due to this , and now will lose something else like my connect eventually . some people have spent good money upgrading their stuff

Chinstroke

I think the key phrase in the article is that 92% of all Sonos products sold are still in use. They don’t want this as they want to sell you new stuff so their solution is to render a good percentage of that number as restricted in operation due to no updates and blow the environment.

zubeir

Always part of their plan. Its business, they want you to upgrade. Sad for the many who have invested heavily in their speakers etc.

MikeNelson

Upgrade to someone else maybe not their intention...

C320UK

I work in IT and can kind of see their rationale to an extent from a software update perspective, it's not easy to maintain older product sets.

I also understand that the systems will continue to work, it's just new software updates that will cease from May 2020. However, two things are annoying in my view.

1. Why restrict the newer items that may be on the same network from receiving software updates too? - I guess there could be an interoperability issue? However I have a Connect and a bridge (although the bridge isn't really needed anymore really). The Connect is from circa 2015 so not really that old in the grand scheme of things. So quite an expensive component has just be rendered less useful in terms of a 'longer term' solution.

2. The 'bricking' of devices if I chose the upgrade option - it's been well discussed, but killing perfectly usable products is a little OTT

Finally, my concern would be is this just the start of a rolling campaign by Sonos, how long until my speakers become 'legacy' products. Perhaps more of us will look for other solution...

1crb1

Couple of points I’ve found:

Sonos have come out and stated what’s going to happen, unlike a lot of tech like tv’s and Tv streaming Devices. They just drop apps and remove services and say ‘sorry it’s a couple of years old and tough’

the real bit that irks me is that it stops newer Sonos stuff from updating.

C320UK

...the real bit that irks me is that it stops newer Sonos stuff from updating.
Absolutely where I stand, I guess that's down to potential interoperability issues

I'll probably keep my Sonos setup as it is (checking for updates before D-day) and then consider what to do with Connect in the future.

dhts

It's very worrying. I've 11 'old' players. I've run into issues before.

I bought a player when they were on offer and it stayed in it's box unopened for a while. When I came to install it it was on old firmware and the only way to use it was to update the entire system to the latest which I'd been resisting, thus bricking my old controllers.

So I'm concerned two fold:
Will people be able to buy used Connects and still be able to add them post the support date.
I'm currently in temporary accommodation so most of my connects are boxed. If the 3 working ones update in the coming weeks will I ever be able to get them to talk to the others.

As a software engineer by background I find it hard to believe they can't deal with this and keep them supported if they really wanted to, albeit without new features.

rss

I've got a stereo pair of Sonos One's and a pair of Google Home Max's.

I was thinking about adding a Sub to the Sonos or maybe getting a Connect:Amp for my older Denon hi-fi.

In the end I decided to just use a CCA with my Denon as this hi-fi setup with some KEF floorstanders totally blows away the Sonos/Google. I'd forgotten how good it sounds since using bluetooth/network speakers the past few years.

Seems like splitting the amp/speakers away from the smarts/streaming is the safest option long term.

the hoff

I'm not in as bad a position as some people on here but have one of the first gen Play 5 speakers, which is only in occasional use since we moved house 9 months ago. I had been thinking of replacing it with a couple of new Play 5 speakers to form the basis of a 'proper' hi-fi system but since the recent news, I've decided a traditional hi-fi system is probably my best bet, given that my current Play 5 (I think) is only about 5 years old.

I do find it difficult that Sonos couldn't continue to support the speakers for a bit longer, as I can''t say that I've noticed any massive changes to the way Spotify works since I purchased my original Play 5. I also can't see that any new "features" they want to introduce will make that much of a difference anyway.

A 30% discount is nice but given that they are available online for £450 and I'd probably get £100 if I sold my Play 5 second hand (maybe not now!), it's not that generous and I would still expect a good portion of the speaker to end up in landfill, recycling centre or not.

AlanX

On a vaguely related topic, I now find that I cannot control my Sonos devices via my (perfectly fine, in other respects) ageing iPad. The iPad can't have its OS upgraded to one that will work with the Sonos app. So I see this as Sonos again ignoring legacy products (albeit, in this case, the iPad used to control their speakers).

dannnielll

On a vaguely related topic, I now find that I cannot control my Sonos devices via my (perfectly fine, in other respects) ageing iPad. The iPad can't have its OS upgraded to one that will work with the Sonos app. So I see this as Sonos again ignoring legacy products (albeit, in this case, the iPad used to control their speakers).
I have already posted on the ipad story. I suspect you cannot blame Sonos that their App will not download. That is purely Apple. I haave a early ipad2 and an iTouch 4 ..I think. Any software on them is ok, but updates cannot be downloaded. Why?. Because they check the iOS revision, and if it is too old, they abort and ask you to update the iOS. But the Apple website will not update these older machines

C320UK

Looks like they are finally listening to their customer feedback.

Whilst not 100% clear from the article, this appears to suggest we may be able to group our kit to allow the newer devices to receive updates:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
The hardware will have changed over time so there will be new features that cannot be supported on the old devices, it's that simple.