Sonos speaker query (from Denon)

DanielUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I hope you can help please?

I am looking to replace my Denon AVR as the WiFi module is broken, and 9 times out of 10, the Denon app just doesn't work.

My setup is as follows:
  • two ceiling speakers
  • two front height speakers
  • center speaker
  • active subwoofer

I am really keen on moving to Sonos (the new connect amp 2019). However, I am not clear if I can hook up the speakers I have to it as there is only one right/left module on the reverse of it. Can you confirm if I can hook up both the ceiling/front height speakers to the same speaker output?

Current AVR: Denon AVR-X2300W Receiver
Potential new: Amp: Our Best-Ever Wireless Amplifier | Sonos (new 2019)

Thanks for any help,
Dan

Sonos is more a multiroom system and solution than it is anything to do with home cinema. THey do make very basic 5.1 setups that consist of a soundbar and additional surround speakers, but these are limited to just Dolby Digital when it comes to handling multichannel surround sound formats.

I'd not be wanting to base a dedicated home theatre setup around hardware sourced via Sonos.

Thanks for that! That does make sense - I've just heard great things about the connectivity and reliability of it.

During my research I found on Best AV receivers 2019 that the Sony STR-DN1080 is a good AVR and has similar functionality as my Denon. However, checking out the back panel I can't see any front height connectivity either :-(

Sony 7.2ch Home Theatre AV Receiver | STR-DN1080

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan

Connection options are going to be fewer than what you already have with your Denon AVR. Sonos aren't major players in the home theatre arena and their speciality is multiroom audio.

Why so eager to replace your AVRX2300?

The Sony receiver does have the ability to include 2 height, ceiling or upfiring speakers along with a basic 5.1 layer to give you a 5.1.2 setup. You should be made aware that it cannot use ceiling or upward firing speakers to portray DTS:X audio though and you can only use heights for both DTS:X or Atmos.

@dante01 thanks :) I like the look of the Sony one and have read good reviews about the app etc. I need to replace my Denon 2300 as the WiFi module barely works - it's out of warranty now too sadly. I also dislike that to use the front height speakers I manually have to turn 'All Zone Stereo' on.

@dante01 thanks :) I like the look of the Sony one and have read good reviews about the app etc. I need to replace my Denon 2300 as the WiFi module barely works - it's out of warranty now too sadly. I also dislike that to use the front height speakers I manually have to turn 'All Zone Stereo' on.

Due to a fault? THis wouldn't ordinarily be the case if correctly setup and configigured. Front height speakers would work in conjunction with either Dolby Surround or Neural:X upmixing and if dealing with either Atmos or DTS:X soundtracks.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom