Sonos Playbar Review & Comments

As many have stated, the lack of HDMI is what put me off buying one of these. That and the lack of modern sound format support. Plus, only 1 TOSLINK port? For most of us, that puts a reliance on our TVs being able to act as a switch and not screw up the HDMI to optical conversion/ audio passthrough.

That's why I bought an Arcam Solo Bar. It supports the modern sound formats (not Atmos of course...) and has HDMI ports although I will freely admit, the support from Arcam is pretty woeful, with the Bluetooth issue I've had with it.

Paul

Last edited:
I love the sound quality and app features of Sonos - we had a couple of Play 1's and a Play 3 around the house for music.
I used to have a full surround setup with amp etc but got tired of the complicated setup and wires all over the living room.

I really wanted a Playbar but resisted for a long time due to the lack of DTS support and no HDMI but there were rumours that Sonos may include these at some point. When they released the Playbase with the same connections and features I realised they would probably never change their opinion about the inputs and so I took the plunge.

Not cheap by any means but I now use the Play 1's as surround, a Playbar and the Sub. I set my PS4 to output Dolby Digital rather than DTS and never looked back.
The sound quality is incredible when you consider the size of the speakers and I really don't feel the need for Atmos etc so the Sonos is perfect.

It's the only wireless speaker system that I have tried that actually works reliably. I thought the lack of HDMI would annoy me but it is so simple to use the Sonos system that I think it is unnecessary. Very high WAF with this setup!

Brexit nothing to do with it its just way over priced

It's a fair comment. But most people took sonos at their word. They did send messages out before the raise to warn people. Not often you that these days.

Not sure why people keep blaming Brexit for the price rise. That’s maybe the excuse they used and the reason some parts of the press wanted us to believe but it’s just an excuse as far as I’m concerned. The pound was always due to drop in value back then and it did, but since then it’s grown in strength and we haven’t seen that reflected in prices.

It was the same with the global depression, companies just used that as an excuse to get rid of people.

Because it's currently fashionable, and there are plenty of bandwagon monkeys knocking about.

I love the sound quality and app features of Sonos - we had a couple of Play 1's and a Play 3 around the house for music.
I used to have a full surround setup with amp etc but got tired of the complicated setup and wires all over the living room.

I really wanted a Playbar but resisted for a long time due to the lack of DTS support and no HDMI but there were rumours that Sonos may include these at some point. When they released the Playbase with the same connections and features I realised they would probably never change their opinion about the inputs and so I took the plunge.

Not cheap by any means but I now use the Play 1's as surround, a Playbar and the Sub. I set my PS4 to output Dolby Digital rather than DTS and never looked back.
The sound quality is incredible when you consider the size of the speakers and I really don't feel the need for Atmos etc so the Sonos is perfect.

It's the only wireless speaker system that I have tried that actually works reliably. I thought the lack of HDMI would annoy me but it is so simple to use the Sonos system that I think it is unnecessary. Very high WAF with this setup!

I'm in a similar position. I've scrapped my proper 5.1 system but I want a bit more than my telly speakers sometimes. I'd just use the telly speakers for at least 50% of viewing as I find most stuff goes over the top with effects and sound.

Do you reckon the playbar would suit my use? Swapping between the Sky HD box and my DVD player when required?

I'm in a similar position. I've scrapped my proper 5.1 system but I want a bit more than my telly speakers sometimes. I'd just use the telly speakers for at least 50% of viewing as I find most stuff goes over the top with effects and sound.

Do you reckon the playbar would suit my use? Swapping between the Sky HD box and my DVD player when required?
If it's only half the time then maybe, but there are lots of good bars for less money than this imo. You're paying for entry into the ecosystem with a view to expansion.

If you won't expand, I'd look elsewhere.

If it's only half the time then maybe, but there are lots of good bars for less money than this imo. You're paying for entry into the ecosystem with a view to expansion.

If you won't expand, I'd look elsewhere.

I’ve already got 4 Sonos Play1 speakers and 3 connects so I’m already in the Sonos club. I could use one pair of Play1s as surrounds.

I'm a long time Sonos user and love my Playbar which I have had for nearly 3 years now, I held off for a long time due to it not supporting DTS or having HDMI but when I finally managed to get one (at a significant discount) both myself and my wife were delighted, esp as it obviously intergrated perfectly with my existing setup.

The DTS processing isn't an issue as my LG LCD LED TV converts DTS to Dolby so I have surround sound, also the Optical in is fine too as the TV has an optical out and I just use the TVs HDMI inputs for my Apple TV and Nvidia Shield and the sound always just matches what's on screen anyway so the TV remote does everything but control the STBs. As an added bonus when the TV is off the Sonos queue is back with whatever was in it beforehand (though it doesn't start playing as that would be annoying more often than not).

The ability to use Play:1s or ONEs as the surrounds is fantastic (I wouldn't recommend the Play:3s as they are expensive and well overdue a refresh and the Play:5s are overkill) as you just need to give them power and don't need to run cables across the room. The added advantage is that if you aren't watching something and want to use them elsewhere you just remove them from the Surround setup, move them somewhere else in the house and then that room has access to all your content and services (ie: Spotify or TuneIn; speaking of which they just readded Audible).
Another thing I like is when a big game is on and I'm on daddy daycare duty I can just group all the speakers to the Playbar and then listen to it while moving around the house - as a parent of 2 small kids I appreciate that flexibility (btw - the speaker grill/cover stands up well to my teething baby girl gnawing on it).

I do appreciate Sonos is an expensive option, but I have been fortunate in getting most of mine on the cheap and do feel I get my value out of them given how much they have been used over the years (nearly 15,000 hours between them so far).
Their support was excellent as you deal straight with them ... when I did have trouble with one of my Play:5s years ago I just logged a ticket on their site, had a chat to a support agent who got me to Submit Diagnostics (which is a simple task through their apps) and I told him the troubleshooting I had tried and then and there he just said it was faulty and organised a replacement to be couried to me.

Are they perfect - No (nothing is).
Do they refresh their products enough for my liking - No.
Are there more things I wish they did - Yes.
Is their App good - Yes.
Are the list of Supported Services good - Yes (Very).
Is Trueplay awesome - Yes
In Hindsight would I buy it again - Yes.

I think Sonos will wait for eArc which supports the superior audio technologies through a single wire which satisfies the people who want better audio and maintains their ethos of simplicity...

I went to RS to demo this the other day but they were only able to wire up a playbase for me. I want to replace my wired 5.0 setup due to a house move and know that if I just go for a soundbar I will miss hearing the effects from behind me so the Playbar and 2xPlay 1's seems a perfect (if expensive) solution. The problem is my old Pioneer Kuro plasma only outputs it own tuner through optical, so will a cheap HDMI switcher with optical out like this work with the playbar? An alternative I am looking at is the Philips B5 with it's "detachable" rear speakers but everyone does seems to rave about the Sonos.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I went for a PlayBase rather than a PlayBar as the included Sub made it a more sensible deal for me (you get one in the PlayBase, but not the PlayBar which has one less speaker) as I already had one Sub and buying a second seemed excessive for what I was going to use it for (Bedroom TV). The thing that sealed it for me was I could use the Connect:Amp I already had for the rears to get a surround setup for just the cost of the PlayBase (my Mk 1 Play:5s won't act as rears).

Do note you get minimal control. I did do the sound calibration setup as the rears weren't perfectly even (someone installed a door in the room, ruins the symmetry). They did have a firmware bug where it didn't mute properly (if you put your ear against it there was a very low background hiss when the TV was off), but that was fixed recently. I'm generally happy although the algorithm it uses for feeding part of a stereo signal to the rear(s) seems a little random sometimes.

Oh and it is very handy using the TV remote to adjust the volume and mute it, rather than having to use an app.

(Edit)
P.S. it's a good idea to remove any phone case before using it for calibration, as it can affect the sound to the microphones slightly. Also AFAIK they only support calibration using iPhones (they say too many microphone choices with Android).

P.P.S. rather curiously the PlayBase is the same price as the PlayBar, despite the extra speaker. I found a pair side-by-side in John Lewis in High Wycombe to do a comparison.

Last edited:
Probably not until they refresh the Playbar again. It's been out for about 5 years and has actually gone up in price by £100 since launch (due to exchange rate changes/Brexit/Corporate greed - delete as appropriate). Sonos don't tend to discount until they have a replacement i.e. when the ONE was released the Play 1 was reduced.

IIRC they were down to £649 over Christmas-ish, but Sonos discounts are fairly rare and often just as they want to sell you a bundle.
BTW the £100 price increase was Feb 2017, the £ was $1.23 then, it's about $1.41 now so a reduction is possible, but most people seem to be doing more price rises if anything.

I went to RS to demo this the other day but they were only able to wire up a playbase for me. I want to replace my wired 5.0 setup due to a house move and know that if I just go for a soundbar I will miss hearing the effects from behind me so the Playbar and 2xPlay 1's seems a perfect (if expensive) solution. The problem is my old Pioneer Kuro plasma only outputs it own tuner through optical, so will a cheap HDMI switcher with optical out like this work with the playbar? An alternative I am looking at is the Philips B5 with it's "detachable" rear speakers but everyone does seems to rave about the Sonos.
Hi Mickyboy,
I am in a similar position to yourself because i have the same Pioneer Kuro plasma and have for quite awhile been considering the Sonos playbar but have not been totally sure about the compatibility question and before committing myself to spending £600+ I need to be absolutely sure.
If you dont mind me asking how did you make out or have you bought the alternative option?
Kind Regards
Bob

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Got a playbar at discounted rate, along with a play 3 (50% off). Think it was worth it for that, but i would struggle to justify for its current going rate. It is solid though, sounds great and does everything i need at the moment (easy to use; as in, you dont have to do anything, all you adjust is the volume - solid build and can withstand a toddler using it as a car track, drinks stand etc etc)
Will probably eventually grab a couple of play 1s and turn it into a sort of surround system, but will have the flexibility to sell the bar and keep the 1s for else where in the house (bedrooms, bathrooms etc) if i upgrade to a true 5.1 system

so yeah, solid build, sounds good and nice and east to use with continuous updates. I like the fact it hasn't been updated! it means my speaker still has sort of a value to it, and sonos support it and keep updating it - such as now having the added benefit of being able to tell Alexa to play music to the stuff is a nice bonus.

Hi Mickyboy,
I am in a similar position to yourself because i have the same Pioneer Kuro plasma and have for quite awhile been considering the Sonos playbar but have not been totally sure about the compatibility question and before committing myself to spending £600+ I need to be absolutely sure.
If you dont mind me asking how did you make out or have you bought the alternative option?
Kind Regards
Bob

Hi Bob - I am still deliberating. The cheap HDMI switch looks like it will work (some of the questions/reviews alude to a similar situation) but probably won't "down-convert" Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, etc. which I think some of the more expensive HDMI switchers will do so I think all attached devices will need to be set to deliver simple Dolby Digital. That's my layman's take on it - I could be wrong. To be honest, I'm waiting on a Sonos sale/discount. They're rare but RS had 10% off last week - I bottled it in the end when I started dithering about alternatives but I think Sonos is the one for me.

I have a PlayBase and not a PlayBar, but looking in the settings I couldn't see anything to delay the audio, so you might want to check if the HDMI switch allows it or what the input lag of the TV is. (Remembering the source might not be 100% bang-on.) I believe people are less tolerant of early audio than late audio (presumably as in the real World the light always arrives first).
Oh and IIRC people tolerate latency less for games than passive viewing.

Does anyone use their Playbar in the laid flat position and if you do what’s your opinion on the sound quality?

I have a Playbar and sub with 2 play 1s as surrounds, I also have 4 other play 1s around the house. I think something that is a big selling point is that they are quite friendly for anyone to use, they look pleasing and aren’t intrusive. My wife could never get on with my full setup back when we met and I’ve since moved to these and they are so easy for anyone to use. I have an Apple tv4k, Xbox one x and a hisense H65N6800 4K tv. I find it pairs very well with all of them.

Does anyone use their Playbar in the laid flat position and if you do what’s your opinion on the sound quality?

I have mine laid flat on the TV stand in front of the TV. Sound quality is awesome as far as I'm concerned.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it has some sort of sensor in it to tell which position it's in and that changes some of the audio characteristics.

I was looking at one, I auditioned it twice. Verified it with a neighbour who has the setup.

And I simply can’t justify it. Add the sub, add four more speakers. That is six power supplies so not wireless at all.

And then the sound is compromised. And a combination package with the Denon 4300H and Monitor Audio Bronze with floorstanding speakers cost less.

I don’t get it unless you have bought into the system and want all multiroom system.

But each to their own I guess.

I have mine laid flat on the TV stand in front of the TV. Sound quality is awesome as far as I'm concerned.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it has some sort of sensor in it to tell which position it's in and that changes some of the audio characteristics.

Yes, i've read the same thing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom