Question Sonos Playbar or Playbase

flozz1233

Hi Guys,

i am looking at purchasing a play bar or play base in the near future and maybe the subwoofer if needed, and I was wondering if any has had any experience with either and could point myself in the right direction, more so leaning towards to the sound bar due to it being able to be mounted but can be swayed, if anyone has had any experience with either please let me know

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Unless your heavily invested in sonos gear you can get much better sound solutions for around £1200 which is what it would cost for that playbar and sub

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Hey man

Could you show me any alternatives? May reconsider
Yamaha ysp2700 will knock socks off the sonos and is around £750, I know this as I used to have a ysp2200 which is 2 iterations below the ysp2700, and then went to a sonos playbar with 2 play 1's for the rear, they lasted less than a month before I sold it and went to a proper 5.1 system, there's other high end soundbars that will sound better than sonos, have a look on richer sounds at ones priced between £500-£1000 and look at reviews

flozz1233

Yamaha ysp2700 will knock socks off the sonos and is around £750, I know this as I used to have a ysp2200 which is 2 iterations below the ysp2700, and then went to a sonos playbar with 2 play 1's for the rear, they lasted less than a month before I sold it and went to a proper 5.1 system, there's other high end soundbars that will sound better than sonos, have a look on richer sounds at ones priced between £500-£1000 and look at reviews

Okay I will take a look :) what was the reasoning for selling the sonos if you don't mind me asking?

jonna

Distinguished Member
I've gone from a Yamaha Ysp 2500 to a Sonos Playbar, sub and Play one surrounds and the difference in quality is day and night. Yes it's an expensive setup but if it's worth it. It can't compete with a proper 5.1 separate system but it's damn good. It's s a doddle to setup and great on the eye.
I've had numerous 5.1 systems and downgraded for purely visual reasons and don't regret it one bit.

flozz1233

I've gone from a Yamaha Ysp 2500 to a Sonos Playbar, sub and Play one surrounds and the difference in quality is day and night. Yes it's an expensive setup but if it's worth it. It can't compete with a proper 5.1 separate system but it's damn good. It's s a doddle to setup and great on the eye.
I've had numerous 5.1 systems and downgraded for purely visual reasons and don't regret it one bit.

oo okay, yeah the price is a problem but hey that's why theirs loans :p yeah I feel in my room a 5.1 would be a waste so I was looking towards a soundbar and sub. Why jump from Yamaha to sonos as @furryhobnob jumped the other way

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Room/Room Layout - will have a big effect on what you hear and will tend to dictate if Surround Sound is viable vs. stereo playback.

Soundbar vs. Soundbase - more flexibility with a Soundbar but maybe less requirement for a Sub with the Soundbase.

SONOS - in addition to it functioning as your TV audio system folk quickly get the hang of using the SONOS App for music and radio playback.

Multi-zone - with SONOS you can pretty much guarantee you'll be adding more Zones pretty quickly!

Joe

flozz1233

Room/Room Layout - will have a big effect on what you hear and will tend to dictate if Surround Sound is viable vs. stereo playback.

Soundbar vs. Soundbase - more flexibility with a Soundbar but maybe less requirement for a Sub with the Soundbase.

SONOS - in addition to it functioning as your TV audio system folk quickly get the hang of using the SONOS App for music and radio playback.

Multi-zone - with SONOS you can pretty much guarantee you'll be adding more Zones pretty quickly!

Joe

Cheers Joe :)

DodgeTheViper

I'm going to pickup a Sonos Playbar tomorrow and give it a whirl. I'll have 100 days to try it. If it doesn't work out I'll return it for a full refund.
If that happens I'll need to revert to option 2 or 3.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom