Question Sonos Play1 vs Bose Soundtouch 10

Bose Soundtouch 10 vs Sonos Play1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dsgnr

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a wireless streaming speaker for our kitchen in the near future (maybe around Christmas time).

I have been looking at the Sonos Play1 vs the Bose Soundtouch 10. They're both similarly priced however, the Sonos doesn't seem to have Air Play functionality, or can use Apple's new Apple Music whereas the Bose one can.

Obviously I want to get best bang for my buck and want to make the right decision (to please the other half, obviously).

I've heard the Sonos sounds better but I am slightly swaying more toward the Bose. I have their sound cancelling headphones which I think are fantastic so I'm sure the Soundtouch will too.

IF there are any others that people find particularly good then please put them forward!

Just thought I'd ask some advise.
Thanks,
Dan

there was a similar question recently.
Bose Soundtouch 10 v Sonos Play 1

Ive not had personal experience of the bose. Only via my MIL who sent it back in the end and got sonos instead !

Indeed Sonos does not have airplay. However, as of 15 December it will release support for Apple Music via a public beta program (which means anyone can use it).
see here Apple Music Coming to Sonos Soon | Sonos Community
Sonos is proven to be considerably more reliable than airplay but of course more limited in what can be streamed.

Ive got a houseful of Sonos and very happy with it. The quarterly releases just build and build on the features e.g. Trueplay room tuning which no one else offers in wireless speakers (only AV kit). Sonos support is fantastic. Even the oldest devices from 10 years ago are still supported by the latest software and a helpdesk with real people is just a phone call away.

Thanks Nicka, That's fantastic.
I wasn't aware Sonos were releasing a beta. Is that an App beta or a firmware beta do you know?

I have read a few negative reviews about the Bose and every time I have tried to get a demo in shops like John Lewis or Currys etc, the Bose wasn't connected so I haven't had a chance to even listen to it.

If the Sonos is going to be supporting Air Play then that may be the way to go! I just didn't like the idea of having to fork out an extra ££ to purchase an Airport Extreme. I already have too much Apple tech in my house.

Thanks Nicka, That's fantastic.
I wasn't aware Sonos were releasing a beta. Is that an App beta or a firmware beta do you know?

Its both. It will be included in the 6.1 software release which updates the speaker firmware as well as the apps/desktop software. This is the same with all Sonos releases - they cover both firmware and controllers. There is no complicated process to follow - the app indicates an update is required, confirm you want to apply it and the system takes care of the rest in a few minutes. As of 15 December, any sonos owner can apply to be on the public beta program which will enable them to install the 6.1 software before the general release. Since its a public beta there are no prerequisites or selection criteria. Ive only rarely encountered any problems on the alphas/betas I have been on and its always something trivial.

If the Sonos is going to be supporting Air Play then that may be the way to go! I just didn't like the idea of having to fork out an extra ££ to purchase an Airport Extreme. I already have too much Apple tech in my house.

sorry - just re-read this - sonos is NOT supporting Airplay, it is integrating Apple Music into Sonos i.e. if you have an apple music subscription, you can stream whatever you want from Apples library using the Sonos app by artist, album, song, playlist, genre, radio etc etc.

Ah sorry I misread what you said too! Well I suppose as long as I can play my iTunes Library to it, can play Apple Music to it and there are internet radios like BBC 1 etc then that's all I need!

I presume it doesn't allow streaming of Youtube either?

I am in the same boat. Was put off sonos as thought the Bose might work better but so far everyone is saying go with sonos..plus with Apple Music support coming soon seems worth a punt! Next question, black or white?!

Definitely black for me. If I can steam from Apple Music then I'm sure I can live without steaming from YouTube etc.

Been doing a lot of research today about the Sonos systems. I'd like to use them to replace my wired speakers but still maintain my Pioneer VSX-922 as a controller but doesn't seem at all possible unfortunately.

Think I'll see what sort of deals are on nearer Christmas time. 2 Play1s for £300 isn't a good enough deal for me as they're £160 each anyway!

You're right - there is no native YouTube support currently. You can always use one of the devices with a line-in (play 5, connect, connect amp or playbar) and a Google chromecast audio to get around it.

Sonos is very rarely discounted - the current play 1 deal is about as good as it gets. Alternatively it can sometimes be purchased from a euro Amazon site e.g Amazon.it or .es where there seems more regular discounts and the exchange rate goes in your favour.

quidco 4% via Hughes, free delivery, next 2 days so run ;O)
any better deals than that?

I have bought 2 x Sonos Play 1's from Amazon.es for my son and daughter.

They worked out around £137 delivered and took less than a week to arrive. They do have a Euro plug though but easy enough to change.

There was also a company on eBay called UK Projectors who was selling loads of Sonos gear. I got my sub for £480 but this was a US import but supplied with both the US and UK leads. Not sure what has happened to the seller as although still trading no longer lists and Sonos gear and I was unable to leave feedback for the transaction. Maybe he has been stopped by Sonos?

Sonos every time - Has just about every streaming service you will ever need - plus more being added all the time, the software is constantly updated offering better features across IOS & Android, PC & MAC. Its massively scalable, so today one room, next year full TV surround e.t.c. Its a doddle to setup, has fantastic support teams and its own user forum. You can use any speaker individually or make stereo pairs. So much more flexibility with Sonos.

I am pleased to announce that I bought one at the beginning of the week.

Managed to get the sales guy at a John Lewis to put both the Bose and the Sonos next to each other and play the same song. I know it's not strictly scientific, but, it's not going to be scientific at home either!

I have to say the Sonos sounded much 'brighter' and clearer where as the Bose seemed to almost sound like it had a blanket placed in front of the speaker. Just sounded muffled and flat.

I was a little concerned in the store that neither units had enough base for my liking but after I got it home, I can safely say that the Sonos has surprised me with how good it sounds. Yes, it's never going to be as good as a proper amp and cable speaker but for a kitchen it's very very good. It packs a punch in terms of base, it's nice and bright sounding and very clear. Definitely worth the outlay. I'll get another one after Christmas if the Mrs lets me!

Glad your happy with it......iv'e got to wait till xmas day to try it out.
You'll find interesting reading in the sonos user forum.
Ask questions & find answers | Sonos Community
How are you planning to get music to it?
I think streaming from free google play where you can upload all your music, might suit me best, as I don't want the laptop on all the time.

I am a self confessed Apple geek so I have Apple Music so I don't need to worry about anything else like that.

I have however, re-established my love for BBC 1 Extra though.

*Edited

Last edited:
Do you mean Apple music @ £9.99/month? not sure what apple play is?
Apple music only added yesterday under beta.

Yes sorry Apple Music - I'm nearing the end of a 14 hour shift and it's taking it's tole today!

Trust me - Make a stereo pair of play1's and it sounds amazing :) You will also hear the difference in music streams for example Apple streaming at 256Kbs whereas Napster/Spotify stream at 320kbs - its a much richer sound.

Im prepared to be shot down in flames here:

I had the same dilemma but between a play 5 and a sound touch 20, and the Bose won.

Im sorry, the Sonos devices do not have "amazing sound quality" in fact I thought the Play 5 sounded lacking, the constant requirement to amend the Bass levels, the hollow sound that it produced, its ugly facia, its lack of display, its absolute dependance on you having your phone in your hand .....

I hated that if I used the spotify radio function and thought "whats this song" I had to go find my phone to see what was playing

I hated that if I wanted to do something simple like set radio 2 playing at breakfast I had to go find my phone etc, now I just press a button

If you like the sound of your Bose QC15's / 25's you will be very happy with the Bose sound touch sound.

I didn't like the Sonos experience and I can assure you that its no better or worse than the Bose in terms of network connectivity. Neither are perfect, neither are bad

Giving the Sonus one bonus point I do concede that its easier to set up - it takes 2 mins rather than 5 - but does that matter - once its set up, you shouldn't have to do it again.

Sound wise - was that a new Play 5 (gen 2) or the old one (gen 1) ??
Was Trueplay configured and switched on ?

I think if you are often using your phone, Sonos can win in many situations, but for those who like the buttons and remote SoundTouch can win, plus the 30 is louder than most multi-room systems.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom