Sonos Play 5 and Record Player

pad1974

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am looking at getting Sonos Play:5, Pro-Ject Essential III Phono, and adapter cable.

Is that literally all I need to get the record player up and running?

Any help much appreciated.

Paul

That should work although I'm fairly sure the Sonos will convert the incoming signal to digital which I would have thought was something most vinyl buyers would like to avoid.

That should work although I'm fairly sure the Sonos will convert the incoming signal to digital which I would have thought was something most vinyl buyers would like to avoid.

Thanks. Had a look and I think you still retain the crackling effect of vinyl.

Uploaded a file.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190317-190818_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190317-190818_Chrome.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 174
I'm not sure of the details, but I think the Sonos can receive Bluetooth Signals, and there are a few Bluetooth Turntables out there. Yamaha makes one but I know there are others, rare, but they are definitely out there.

The underlying question is, does the PLAY:5 have an AUX inputs? That I can tell it does not. So I'm not sure how you connect a Turntable to it. Other than the suggested Bluetooth, which assumes that the PLAY:5 has Bluetooth capability.

If the PLAY5 does have an AUX input, then you just need to make sure the signal going in is Line Level, and not directly from the Turntable. If the Turntable has a built in Phono Equalization Pre-Amp, then that solves that problem. If it does not have a Phono Equalization Pre-Amp, then you will have to buy an external Pre-Amp, which need not be exceptionally expensive -

Project Phono Box MM Phono Pre-Amp - £60 -

Project PHONO BOX MM

Checking with SONOS via Chat, the PLAY5 does NOT have Bluetooth.

The SONOS website implies that it has a AUX in, but looking at the photos I couldn't see it.

Steve/bluewizard

It's a mini jack input so not easy to spot in pics.

It's a mini jack input so not easy to spot in pics.

The only thing you may or may not need is a Phono Equilization Pre-Amp. Check and see if you have one built into the turntable, if not then you will have to buy one. The one I suggested (Project Phono Box MM) is as good as any in its price range. (£60)

Turntable -> Phono Pre-Amp -> PLAY5

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks for the feedback.

I was looking at the following set up:

Denon DP-400 (with pre-amp built in)
Sonos Connect

These would be in the same room as hub but not close enough for an ethernet connection. Presume wi-if would be suitable? Also, believe they connect using an aux cable? Pics attached showing back of Sonos Connect and DP-400.

Also, have 2 x Sonos play 1 which will be on a separate unit. They are a few years old now but presume they will still be recognised by the connect?

Thanks for your help

Paul

Attachments

• 20BD9922-61D1-4C36-8F20-4A2975F34EF6.png
    20BD9922-61D1-4C36-8F20-4A2975F34EF6.png
    914 KB · Views: 80
  • 215C0EB6-31E1-43C5-B578-40454BF6563F.png
    215C0EB6-31E1-43C5-B578-40454BF6563F.png
    966.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom