Sonos Play:1 beginner question - wired connection

gers1978

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Sonos Play:1 beginner question - wired connection

I've never had a Sonos or anything like it and am considering buying a Play:1 today.

I realise it can be used completely wirelessly, but as I understand it it would still be preferable to have it wired. I'm happy to sit it near my router and use a wired connection, but my question is if I then add a 2nd Play:1 in the kitchen, which won't be wired, does it benefit from the 1st one being wired?

I guess I'm asking if the having at least one Play:1 wired gives the same benefits as having a Bridge?

In short, yes.

Wiring any sonos component to the router (either the low-cost bridge or another device) will put all sonos devices into the 'sonosnet' mesh network mode. This is then separate from the regular wifi so there is no conflict with the traffic of your music (on sonos) and the rest of the wifi for everything else (video, surfing...) so gives improved reliability (dropouts, connecting to controller...). With small numbers (1 or 2) sonos speakers its fine not using sonosnet and sticking with your regular wifi. However, going above this you get improved reliability using it.

With 1 Play 1 wired to the router and another one 'wireless' in the kitchen they will communicate over sonosnet which is the preferred method (aside from hardwired)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom