• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sonos music system

Gillywolfie

Novice Member
I have a Sonos music system which was great until I changed my laptop.Now I can't load music up any longer and the system isn't 'reading' the music stored unless my computer is turned on. It's bound to be a very simple matter but beyond my computer skills. Is there a techi person out there who can help please? I also understand that it's supposed to be able to read from my Ipod and visa versa?
I think Sonos requires a link?:lease:

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Hi and welcome

Though there a many very savvy members that frequent this section, you might be best served in the streamer section as there are a few sonos threads in there.

Streamers & Network Music Players | AVForums.com - UK Online.

I don't own a sonos, but do a squeezebox which looks at a nas for music. I know the sonos setup is different, but works on the same principle.
It could be something simple but more info is needed.

How, when it was working great, was it setup before? is the only change the new laptop?

Is everything setup the same on the new laptop as with the previous one with regards to the sonos?

If your music is stored on the laptop, there is no other way for the sonos to access it unless the laptop is on. So where, if not from the laptop, is the sonos supposed to access the music? If music is held elsewhere, its possible that the sonos has lost its mapping to that device. A simple remapping of that device will hopefully get things working as they should.

If you still have the old laptop and its working, you could try reconnecting that and see if everything works as before.

But as said above, more info please

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
Your best bet is to call Sonos Support andhave them walk you through the set-up.

PhilCTTE

Prominent Member
Are you using the same directory structure where your music files are kept as before ?. This is assuming your library is on you laptop. And if it is, you need to configure it wake up on lan perhaps your PC did this and your laptop now does not.

Have you tried re-indexing your library ?. "update library now" I think its called ?.

Sorry can't give you specifics of where these options are on the menu as I no longer have my sonos.

Gillywolfie

Novice Member
I've just discovered it all works fine if my computer is turned on. Previously the system worked independantly from the computer, so perhaps it's something to do with the wrong wireless/network setting on my new computer? I've tried looking at FAQs in Sonos but it didn't help

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
You still haven't answered the question and let us know where the music is kept. What you have said suggests that it is currently held on the laptop.

...Previously the system worked independantly from the computer....

How? if previously, the computer was not on but still able to play music suggests to me that the music was held elsewhere and the sonos was looking at that particular device but have since switched to your laptop.

Have you got more than 1 copy of your music held in different places?

Last edited:

Gillywolfie

Novice Member
The music was both on my laptop and also on a Buffalo thing. It's showing on the Sonos music library when the laptop is off but Sonos says it can't connect to server.I've updated all the Sonos componants when the laptop was on. Suggest Sonos isn't reading the Buffalo? I've turned it off and on again -but this didn't work.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Ok,

which models sonos and buffalo (nas??)

I reckon the sonos is working ok and the problems lies with the Buffalo as the buffalo is the server. Hence the message cannot connect to server.

Check/reseat the ethernet cable on the buffalo.
If wireless or cable, check if you are able to access it from the laptop by mapping a drive to it or using a browser. The manual should explain how to do that. It may also tell you how to check the hard drive condition and other troublshooting methods.

I don't know if sonos finds and catalogues music on the whole network or has to be told where to look but it looks like it is lookng at both laptop and buffalo as sources. It may have a primary and secondary source setting where if it cannot see the primary source (buffalo) it defaults to the secondary source (laptop). However, as i'm not an sonos owner i cannot substantiate that and is just my guess.

Hopefully a sonos owner will partake in this thread and can explain the process properly

Last edited:

PhilCTTE

Prominent Member
If I recall , hold down mute button on zp90 till it flashes. This should allow pc to discover it. From pc there is a menu option to point music library on server. Then should be as simple to update library and re-index. This is all from memory. As said in above post hopefully current owner will chip in

Gillywolfie

Novice Member
I've tried rebotting the system [hold down mute and power together] but this didn't work either. I think it's the Buffalo that's the problem as Don Dadda suggests. How would i map a drive from the laptop? I don't have a manual. I've checked the ethernet cable and this seems to be fine, and all the right lights are on. There is a diag light [which assumes i can do a diagnostic but i don't know how!]
I agree that it's probably got a primary [the Buffalo] & secondary [my laptop] source, and as it can't access the primary it's reverting to the secondary.
Waiting to hear back from Sonos.

Gillywolfie

Novice Member
I've now had the following answer from Sonos which may well help me sort out the problem, if i could actually understand how to do what they suggest:
Please remove the set up music library in SONOS and add it again via the option "on a networking device...".
Please make sure to not add the mapped drive of the computer, but add the network path to the NAS (should be displayed as \\ name of your NAS\ name of folder containing music).
If anyone can guide me through this it would be wonderful please

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom